Cheap Indicators and Horn

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Here's another of my cheap modifications. I bought this device from Ebay for about £4.50 inc. postage. 3in1 7-LED Bicycle Bike Turn Signal Brake Light Horn on eBay (end time 25-Nov-10 02:55:09 GMT) It doesn't appear to be waterproof, so I will make a vacuum formed cover for it next week. It has a brake light from a switch that attaches to a brake cable, a horn with several selectable sounds (louder than a bell, but no good for cars), a single bright red rear LED light, bright rear indicators and an unusual array of red repeater LEDs in the front light, but no white at the front. The switch for the indicators is hard to use because it's a flat slider - virtually impossible with gloves. I modified it by replacing the front light repeater with an ultra-bright white from Maplin for £1.20 and while I was there I bought a push button switch and a 3 position DPDT switch (6 legs). By using a bit of network cable that has 8 wires I was able to connect the 8 connections from the two switches and splice them onto the circuit-board inside the light so that I could mount them by the hand grip - like on a motorbike. I am very pleased with this modification, so I thought that I would share it
Installation pictures:
SANY0027.jpg picture by d8veh - Photobucket
SANY0028.jpg picture by d8veh - Photobucket
SANY0025.jpg picture by d8veh - Photobucket

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Great idea d8veh, but waaaaaay beyond my minuscule electronics ability I'm afraid!

I notice from your pics that you have the same 'bicycle computer' I've just ordered. I bought it because it's chunky, has a big speed display, and most importantly it has a backlight. It seemed a bargain, is it any good then?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not as good as it looks, but worth the price. The backlight is pretty useless. The display is very directional: You need to have it facing directly to you or else the display appears dim.The buttons don't always make good contact so setting it up can be a bit tricky. Keep trying if at first you don't succeed. The manual is incorrect regarding setting mode: It's the right hand button that you have to hold to go into setting mode. I'm not sure if they are waterproof. My first one got water in it, but it might be because I didn't screw up the battery cover tight enough.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I too have one of these ebay lights. I wired the brake light into one of the brake lever connectors rather than use supplied switch, also changed front led to white and added two extra. Added two extra too rear light also. Front indicator's are naff and beeping is annoying.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
It's not as good as it looks, but worth the price. The backlight is pretty useless. The display is very directional: You need to have it facing directly to you or else the display appears dim.The buttons don't always make good contact so setting it up can be a bit tricky. Keep trying if at first you don't succeed. The manual is incorrect regarding setting mode: It's the right hand button that you have to hold to go into setting mode. I'm not sure if they are waterproof. My first one got water in it, but it might be because I didn't screw up the battery cover tight enough.
I got my 'Bicycle computer' today. All the instructions are in Chinese symbols, so thanks for letting me know about the right button setting. I've set the time/wheel circumference. As for the backlight????? Neither of the 3 buttons on mine activate it. How does yours light up?

I really wish they'd make a decent unit like this, but powered by AAA's. I do like the extra mounting pieces you get with it. I can mount it right of centre, but position it so that it will be a couple of inches raised above dead centre. Or at least I could mount it if I had the bike. It was posted today, so assuming TNT are on the ball I should get it tomorrow. Woo-Hoo!!!!!:)

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
We look forward to a picture by picture account of it! ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Blackpanther: The middle button works the backlight for about 3 secs, but I wouldn't bother - the main thing that happens is that the display goes dim. You'd be better waiting until you go under a street light to see the display. It's not like they show you in the photos. I'm wondering if the button cells they use are crap or flat. It might be worth trying some decent quality ones. In case you don't know, you can turn the little mounting plate undrneath through 90 degrees by undoing the four little screw, then you can mount it directly on the stem.