Cheaper bike

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Not sure what you're writing there. Do you mean you were in a higher gear, that is a taller gear to begin with and then changed down? That is went to a shorter gear, a bigger back sprocket from a smaller one? Because you seem to be describing going up the gears not down.

Or are you saying that the change from the second shortest gear to the shortest was the easiest? Because that change is the hardest to do smoothly with power on since the mech has to lift the chain the furthest.
Gear 5 or 5th gear is higher than gear 1 or 1st gear. When you change Up a gear it is faster for the same input, when you change down a gear it is slower for the same input but I'm sure you knew that. Although to be fair to you, I know a guy who talks about changing down into top gear.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
quote="dmsims, post: 227090, member: 3327"]For many reasons rather like the Porsche 911 it is a fundamentally flawed design and needs to be aborted.

In contrasting the Woosh Santana CD and Big bear in our hilly environment:

It is extremely unpleasant to ride a budget crank drive due to the following factors:

Hills are NOT a constant gradient

the CD will NOT go up 15% hills on throttle

Changing gear on a CD uphill involves coming to a standstill

A CD is slower up hills

Budget crank drives are DEAD long live the BPM hub
I respect your view but the gear change issue is not related to budget.
You can spend £4000 on a Haibike http://www.wiggle.co.uk/haibike-xduro-nduro-rx-ebike-26-inch-g2-2014/ - the issue is the same.
Power needs to be cut before changing gear with all crank drives, same for kits made by Bosch, Panasonic or Kalkhoff.
You can do this yourself by blipping the brakes before you change gear or the computer does it for you when it detects gear change, that's the only difference. The more expensive Haibike does not have brake sensors, so you can't blip the brakes there. However, blipping the brakes beats the computer any day and before you say NuVinci N360, read the reviews on amazon from previously enthusiastic adopters. There will be a definitive solution at some stage, probably with electronic shifting but we are a fair bit away from that yet.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Shemoz posts about the impulse 2 gear change detection device here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/impulse-2-0-electric-drive-system.18361/

If you you keep to a lower ratio gear rather than higher one, the problem is alleviated, not removed but easier to handle. Of course doing so will affect your preferred pedalling, so the answer is to increase power to extend the range of pedalling. That's what the Krieger does. BPM bikes remove the problem altogether but not so long ago, they were thought not EN15194 compliant. They may be OK in the UK but I doubt the French will tolerate them (the French do not want Chinese EN15194 certificates). I am saying that the issue of gear change affects all CD systems, power needs to be cut before gear change, either with brake blipping or computer. Computers are not better than humans, just more reliable than humans (most of the time). I was at Redbridge last year (April 13), saw newbies trying out the Sirocco CD on the track and did notice the problem. I rode all the Bosch bikes there, the noise is less with hub gears but they tend to stick on hills nonetheless. The Ezee bikes were the best there. With the Sirocco CD, you could blip the brakes. The worst aspect is losing you preferred cadence but then you would to a certain degree with hub drives too. The future of crank drives will probably be in the Shimano Step coupled with their electronic shifting. The gear cable sensor will help the newbies for now.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Gear 5 or 5th gear is higher than gear 1 or 1st gear. When you change Up a gear it is faster for the same input, when you change down a gear it is slower for the same input but I'm sure you knew that. Although to be fair to you, I know a guy who talks about changing down into top gear.
Well that's why I don't understand why you're saying that the change from 2 down to 1st is the easiest. Because going from a 28 to a 34 rear cog means the mech has to do a lot of work even with no power and that's the slowest change. In fact with this system it's best avoided on a hill at all since if it's steep enough to need to you'll be almost stopped before the power kicks in again, and if it's not that steep you don't need to anyway.

Like I wrote in an earlier post you can work around this quite easily but you can't ride the bike the way I like to ride a bike with this system. I said I have no problem changing down and cutting the power but it's a right pain having to do it changing up to avoid loud clunks too; and that change up from the 34 cog is a real clunker unless you kill the power or use a lower setting.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/impulse-2-0-electric-drive-system.18361/

If you you keep to a lower ratio gear rather than higher one, the problem is alleviated, not removed but easier to handle. Of course doing so will affect your preferred pedalling, so the answer is to increase power to extend the range of pedalling. That's what the Krieger does. BPM bikes remove the problem altogether but not so long ago, they were thought not EN15194 compliant. I am saying that the issue of gear change affects all CD systems, computers are not better than humans, just more reliable than humans. I was at Redbridge last year (April 13), saw newbies trying out the Sirocco CD on the track and did notice the problem. It surpised them. Most manged to do it OK after some explanantion.
The future will probably be in the Shimano Step coupled with their electronic shifting. The gear cable sensor will help the newbies for now.
Software is a lot quicker than humans too which makes for a nicer ride.

It's quite possible to drive a fifties Land Rover in a sporting way if you want and work the box and sling it round corners on tarmac, but it isn't very rewarding.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
john, you are clearly a clever man, you'll think up something and I test it for you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes and no - the computer on the more expensive bikes cuts power from half a second to one second - I tried to time the best gear change on various hills, it comes down to waiting for the chain to jump to a bigger cog, the time taken is proportional to the difference in number of teeth, about 2 teeth per second on steep hills, 3 teeth per second on small hills. They are invariably more than one second on steep hills. The human can see the hill and adjust the no power time and anticipate the change before the computer does.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Maybe you should try to start a new forum here dedicated solely to Woosh CD changes trex. We could have endless hours of fun posting about the perfect changes we've all made.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
When I first asked for views on the Woosh CD or Big Bear I had no idea it would stir up so much discussion, its not really made my decesion any easier, except put me off a Woosh Sirrocco CDL, as I dont think I woud like the gear change problems, although an email from Hattie did say it was just a knack to change with no probs, and they do have a few Big Bears left in stock, I am not to keen on risking It though, and although people seem to rave over the Big Bear I'm sure it would be to big. I may well wait now till there new bikes are out, or a bargain comes along.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Denwyn,

I'm not quite sure why I am saying this, but you won't find a bigger bargain than a Woosh.o_O

I know it's along way, but you could get in your Nissan Note and drive over to Redbridge in August, test ride lots of different bikes and if you find one you like carry it home on your new bike rack:)

I'm sure Hatti would also give you travel expenses and accommodation;)

BTW, my name is Kudos Dave:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Croxden

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Denwyn,

I'm not quite sure why I am saying this, but you won't find a bigger bargain than a Woosh.o_O

I know it's along way, but you could get in your Nissan Note and drive over to Redbridge in August, test ride lots of different bikes and if you find one you like carry it home on your new bike rack:)

I'm sure Hatti would also give you travel expenses and accommodation;)

BTW, my name is Kudos Dave:D
John....I think the hot weather is getting to you,hehe
I am sure Hatti loves you!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

If you you keep to a lower ratio gear rather than higher one, the problem is alleviated, not removed but easier to handle. Of course doing so will affect your preferred pedalling, so the answer is to increase power to extend the range of pedalling. That's what the Krieger does. BPM bikes remove the problem altogether but not so long ago, they were thought not EN15194 compliant. They may be OK in the UK but I doubt the French will tolerate them (the French do not want Chinese EN15194 certificates). I am saying that the issue of gear change affects all CD systems, power needs to be cut before gear change, either with brake blipping or computer. Computers are not better than humans, just more reliable than humans (most of the time). I was at Redbridge last year (April 13), saw newbies trying out the Sirocco CD on the track and did notice the problem. I rode all the Bosch bikes there, the noise is less with hub gears but they tend to stick on hills nonetheless. The Ezee bikes were the best there. With the Sirocco CD, you could blip the brakes. The worst aspect is losing you preferred cadence but then you would to a certain degree with hub drives too. The future of crank drives will probably be in the Shimano Step coupled with their electronic shifting. The gear cable sensor will help the newbies for now.
Trex...you win,I just didnt realise that someone could have such dedication to a range of bikes,might as well pack up Kudos and humbly accept world domination from the mighty Woosh empire!!!....except to say that one of the biggest markets for BH emotion e-bikes(Spanish) is France and all the EN15194 certificates for the BH bikes we used to sell are TUV Shanghai.
Out of interest where did you get the notion that the french don't like chinese EN15194 certificates,I have never seen a french EN15194 certificate,they all seem to be SGS and TUV ,both German testers,albeit with many test centres in China.
Trex,I must spend more time reading your font of knowledge,just cannot understand how I reached this point in life without it.
By the way,start sharpening your pencil because I think you may need to change tack and promote the BPM motor very soon.
Your humble servant
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
When I first asked for views on the Woosh CD or Big Bear I had no idea it would stir up so much discussion, its not really made my decesion any easier, except put me off a Woosh Sirrocco CDL, as I dont think I woud like the gear change problems, although an email from Hattie did say it was just a knack to change with no probs, and they do have a few Big Bears left in stock, I am not to keen on risking It though, and although people seem to rave over the Big Bear I'm sure it would be to big. I may well wait now till there new bikes are out, or a bargain comes along.
Denwyn....go do yourself a favour and take a trip to the seaside at Weston super Mare and have a test on the Kudos Tornado,if you dont like it fine,but like so many things in life dont knock it till you tried it.
With this hot weather a paddle in the Bristol channel should be a pleasant experience,if you buy the Tornado i'll treat you to an ice cream!!!!
KudosDave

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Denwyn....go do yourself a favour and take a trip to the seaside at Weston super Mare and have a test on the Kudos Tornado,if you dont like it fine,but like so many things in life dont knock it till you tried it.
With this hot weather a paddle in the Bristol channel should be a pleasant experience,if you buy the Tornado i'll treat you to an ice cream!!!!
KudosDave
He'll probably need to buy a bike just to get out to the water.

Reactions: Cyclezee

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Trex...you win,I just didnt realise that someone could have such dedication to a range of bikes,might as well pack up Kudos and humbly accept world domination from the mighty Woosh empire!!!....except to say that one of the biggest markets for BH emotion e-bikes(Spanish) is France and all the EN15194 certificates for the BH bikes we used to sell are TUV Shanghai.
Out of interest where did you get the notion that the french don't like chinese EN15194 certificates,I have never seen a french EN15194 certificate,they all seem to be SGS and TUV ,both German testers,albeit with many test centres in China.
Trex,I must spend more time reading your font of knowledge,just cannot understand how I reached this point in life without it.
By the way,start sharpening your pencil because I think you may need to change tack and promote the BPM motor very soon.
Your humble servant
KudosDave
Have you sold any of your bikes to a French dealer?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, it is. You can't sell bikes in France without help from the local dealers because the bikes must be ridable immediately from the box. If the customer uses the spanner and makes a mistake, it's your fault.
Just watch the decathlon videos how decathlon sell bikes by mail order in France. Then check out who issues the EN15194 certicifates to Decathlon. I talked to them about if they'd buy bikes from Woosh.

Last edited: