Cheapest bike on Amazon

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If the parameters are locked, requiring an unlocking code via the display, I doubt many owners would going to all this trouble cracking it:

Everything can be cracked, even Bosch. Bikes with LiShui controllers are very easy to derestrict, so I don't see this as an argument. IMHO, Woosh must be too proud or too lazy to sort it, or some other secret reason that is too uncomfortable to disclose, so he's forced to make arguments that don't hold water.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Everything can be cracked, even Bosch. Bikes with LiShui controllers are very easy to derestrict, so I don't see this as an argument. IMHO, Woosh must be too proud or too lazy to sort it, or some other secret reason that is too uncomfortable to disclose, so he's forced to make arguments that don't hold water.
It's got to be muscle memory, a change of mouse could lead to dramatic changes in decision making?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The parameters can be locked just like any other controller, that's no excuse and no issue.
As soon as you lock something, you'll invite the tinkerrers to put pressure on your support staff to give them the unlocking code. I on the other hand would avoid the problem in the first place.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
tinkerrer
My bike was better after a good tinkering, my wife's the same.

As soon as you lock something, you'll invite the tinkerrers to put pressure on your support staff to give them the unlocking code. I on the other hand would avoid the problem in the first place.
Employ stronger willed staff?

You could organise codes so support staff don't know, or that'll be the story they tell would-be tinkerers...

All will become clear when you use this mouse (see post #22):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-ERGO-Wireless-Trackball-Mouse/dp/B07W4DHQJ9/

Your computer transmits muscle memory at you, and there's an inverse square relationship the further you move away... that mouse has 10m range, and that's why it encourages free thinking.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I saw this review by GCN sometime ago it seems and like a few others here felt GCN weren't fair about the bike at all but then they are sponsored by high end brands. My own thoughts are only the fork stands out as terrible. However terrible for me as I'm a heavier rider and I find these cheap forks are unsafe, don't work well, have no adjustment, corrode, have no spares available and flex badly for anyone over about 70-80kg. They probably work ok for Mr Average for a while. The ebike would have been far better with rigid forks and perhaps slightly thicker tyres.

If anyone remembers the Eurobike which GCN constantly used as a typical cheap bike except it wasn't that cheap it was perhaps around £250 when much better road bikes were available from companies like Halfords, Argos and Decathlon for similar money. They purposely choose the worst bike they could rather than the best entry level road bike and I think that shows a lot about their approach and manipulation of their audience.

At the same time as the Eurobike being available that they bought there was another cheap road bike clearly the same as the Eurobike from the same factory that sold for £100. It actually had an 8 speed freewheel rather than the 7 of the Eurobike but apart from that was the same. Here is a video of the bike except this one is the one with cast wheels rather than the £100 model with normal spoked wheels. Obviously it got bad reviews because these people are used to expensive bikes and bikes like this come straight from the factory and need checking over and adjustment which these reviewers refused to do on the grounds that the type of person buying it wouldn't spend time doing that so of course it was not in a good state to be reviewed. I'm not saying it would have been reviewed well anyway but again the review was already compromised as such bikes clearly state they should be setup by a competent mechanic or bike shop as you would expect for a bike packed at the factory and not setup by a bike shop mechanic because there is no margin to do so.

Ultimately its like getting a greasy spoon cafe reviewed by a Michelin chef or a action movie reviewed by a critic who loves art house movies. It's the wrong reviewer for the product so meaningless and manipulative.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I am just wondering is it not the case now that all ebikes/kits that comply with EN15194 are suppose to have their parameters locked or am I missing something?
NEN-EN 15194:2017
4.2.17.1 General
Anti-tampering measures apply to tampering or modifications that general consumers carry out concerning the control unit, drive unit or other parts of power assisting system by using commercially available tools, equipment or parts.
4.2.17.2 Prevention of tampering of the motor
The following anti-tampering requirements shall be taken into account:
a) Anti-tampering relevant parameters indicated below shall only be accessible to the manufacturer or authorized persons and changes of software configuration parameters require programming tools that are not commercially available or security protected:
1) maximum speed with motor assistance (all systems),
2) parameters affecting the maximum vehicle speed limited by design,
3) maximum gear ratio (system with middle motors),
4) maximum motor power (all systems),
5) maximum speed of starting up assistance;
b) Assumable manipulations on the approval relevant configuration shall be prevented or compensated by effective counter measures, i.e. plausibility logics to detect manipulations on sensors;
c) Closed set of components (i.e. operation only with released battery);
d) Protection against opening of relevant components without traces (sealing).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
a) Anti-tampering relevant parameters indicated below shall only be accessible to the manufacturer or authorized persons and changes of software configuration parameters require programming tools that are not commercially available or security protected:
Speaking as a dude who's converted his bike using a 250W BBS01B kit, am I not the manufacturer? Also, the programming cable and software are hacking tools, not made commercially available by Bafang, the use of which is undetectable after firmware modification.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I saw this review by GCN sometime ago it seems and like a few others here felt GCN weren't fair about the bike at all but then they are sponsored by high end brands. My own thoughts are only the fork stands out as terrible. However terrible for me as I'm a heavier rider and I find these cheap forks are unsafe, don't work well, have no adjustment, corrode, have no spares available and flex badly for anyone over about 70-80kg. They probably work ok for Mr Average for a while. The ebike would have been far better with rigid forks and perhaps slightly thicker tyres.

If anyone remembers the Eurobike which GCN constantly used as a typical cheap bike except it wasn't that cheap it was perhaps around £250 when much better road bikes were available from companies like Halfords, Argos and Decathlon for similar money. They purposely choose the worst bike they could rather than the best entry level road bike and I think that shows a lot about their approach and manipulation of their audience.

At the same time as the Eurobike being available that they bought there was another cheap road bike clearly the same as the Eurobike from the same factory that sold for £100. It actually had an 8 speed freewheel rather than the 7 of the Eurobike but apart from that was the same. Here is a video of the bike except this one is the one with cast wheels rather than the £100 model with normal spoked wheels. Obviously it got bad reviews because these people are used to expensive bikes and bikes like this come straight from the factory and need checking over and adjustment which these reviewers refused to do on the grounds that the type of person buying it wouldn't spend time doing that so of course it was not in a good state to be reviewed. I'm not saying it would have been reviewed well anyway but again the review was already compromised as such bikes clearly state they should be setup by a competent mechanic or bike shop as you would expect for a bike packed at the factory and not setup by a bike shop mechanic because there is no margin to do so.

Ultimately its like getting a greasy spoon cafe reviewed by a Michelin chef or a action movie reviewed by a critic who loves art house movies. It's the wrong reviewer for the product so meaningless and manipulative.

Good points. I was thinking along the same lines. Yes, they're not prepared to make any adjustments to the cheap bikes, but how did they manage to ride their expensive one, when it came without pedals?

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am just wondering is it not the case now that all ebikes/kits that comply with EN15194 are suppose to have their parameters locked or am I missing something?
It's physically impossible to do that. It's a case of what degree of protection is needed, but they don't specify that. Until now, it's been interpreted as a button on the handlebars is not allowed, but anything further removed than that is.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Speaking as a dude who's converted his bike using a 250W BBS01B kit, am I not the manufacturer? Also, the programming cable and software are hacking tools, not made commercially available by Bafang, the use of which is undetectable after firmware modification.
But what I am thinking is that if a retailer/supplier sells a bike or kit and claims that it complies with EN15194, then he has to make some effort to make it tamper proof so to speak.
I notice some suppliers (e.g pswpower) sell some kits that are completely open but they do not claim that they comply to EN15194.
For that matter, I dont think there is a necessary requirement for kits and ebike's to comply toEN15194. But if the seller states and certifies that the bike complies to the standard, then I would imagine that some effort would have to be made to make them tamper proof.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But what I am thinking is that if a retailer/supplier sells a bike or kit and claims that it complies with EN15194, then he has to make some effort to make it tamper proof so to speak.
Bafang did make efforts to make it tamper proof, but everythng can be hacked, eventually - the BBSXXX series was never intended to allow firmware parameters adjustments by the user. In the case of Bosch, models may become obsolete before that happens? The Germans have never forgotten the ENIGMA cipher being cracked.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
but how did they manage to ride their expensive one, when it came without pedals?

Now now, you're more than aware that they come without pedals because many dedicated road riders prefer their own specified pedals/clips/shoes or in the case of offroad, some prefer clips, while others prefer flatties.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Good points. I was thinking along the same lines. Yes, they're not prepared to make any adjustments to the cheap bikes, but how did they manage to ride their expensive one, when it came without pedals?
In fact there is a youtube video by sickbiker/supremebiker who had a Cannondale delivered to him from the factory and you wouldn't believe the amount of work he had to do to get the bike in a decent shape for his customer. It seemed like the whole bike had been poorly put together with many parts incorrectly fitted and garbage shifting etc. The bike was a complete joke but at the end of his work was fully functional. On this occasion Cannondale had used a very low quality factory in Asia. We don't know how many mid to high end bikes come very poorly assembled as those have the margin for the bike shop to correct the issues before handing over to the customer. Cannondale were famous in the past for failing in fact the joke name was 'Crack'n'fail' because they put low weight ahead of frame strength for their US made frames and many failed. The quality went up when frames were made in Taiwan although perhaps weight went up too.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Both of my Trek bikes were bought off Gumtree for £150 each and I then put £350 to £400 conversions on them from Yose Power and Cyclotricity.
I've also helped at least 25 other people do conversions on named bikes they've bought off Gumtree and Marketplace.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Both of my Trek bikes were bought off Gumtree for £150 each and I then put £350 to £400 conversions on them from Yose Power and Cyclotricity.
I've also helped at least 25 other people do conversions on named bikes they've bought off Gumtree and Marketplace.
For a normal legal conversion, that's the best way, though there is some argument for using slightly cheaper bikes with 7-speed gears, which means you can use freewheel motors that are easier to install and they have wider rotors.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
All my bikes were delivered with pedals.
What kind/make of pedals were your bikes delivered with ? Zipp, Campag ?, Sam Hill ? Hope ?, or cheap nasty ones you took off and threw away ?.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
What kind/make of pedals were your bikes delivered with ? Zipp, Campag ?, Sam Hill ? Hope ?, or cheap nasty ones you took off and threw away ?.
Of course basic pedals were included for reason you mentioned, but nonetheless bike was always shipped with pedals.