Cheapo eBay conversion kit -whether will support replacement motor if hilly conditions kill original

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

There's a cheapo kit on eBay I've seen, here, and I was wondering, if the hilly conditions near me in North London/Hertfordshire kill the motor (as I've heard it can), then,

• will one of the stronger 250w motors from e.g. BMSBattery or elsewhere, work with the kit without modification, and slot in easily, for a beginner to do?
  • In any case, will the kit itself be usable with one of the nice Samsung or Panasonic bottle batteries (with a USB outlet) which everyone seems to be selling now?
  • I'm 80kg, bike is 13kg, carry about 3kg in stuff, there are some irritating inclines round here (Potters Bar), am I asking for trouble?
  • Or is it a fair risk to try the kit?
  • Does it look as though the kit is supposed to be front or rear?

Apparently it contains:

"1. 36v 250w brushless hub motor built in double wall alloy wheel and 2.6mm spokes for 26" tyre
2. Half Wrist throttle
3. 36v 250w controller
4. 1:1 pedal assist sensor
5. Separate motor line
6. LED display meter - with 4 modes ( Low, Medium, High and 6km walk speed mode)
7. Mini 6mofset controller size: 32mm*52mm*100mm
8. disc
9. good package" (how thoughtful)

Very little of which I understand.

Many thanks for thoughts.

Jonathan

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It looks OK to me, but I don't recognise the motor. A normal geared mini-motor should have enough power for you unless you have exceptionally steep hills.

The Woosh BBS01 is easier to fit, so I don't understand why you need a fitter for that, but not this one.

The Bigger motors like the BPM certainly make pedalling a lot easier, but you have to be more careful with installation.

Reactions: jonathan75

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
J75 I have just fitted BBS01 to my bike simple 2-3 hrs tops.All you need is a good pair of hands,crank puller( 2 or 3 quid) and bottom bracket tool mine was shimano so easily sourced or better still I borrowed my brothers. And a set of allen keys and maybe some cable ties, and other small tidying details can be done later.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
maybe some cable ties, and other small tidying details can be done later.
That, right there, is the bit that takes all the time:

You can throw a kit on a bike in next_to_no_time, but getting all the cables routed nicely & controller neat & tidy eats hours.

C

Cyclezee

That, right there, is the bit that takes all the time:

You can throw a kit on a bike in next_to_no_time, but getting all the cables routed nicely & controller neat & tidy eats hours.
Throw JH:eek:, don't you mean carefully install;)
I agree with the 2nd part unless it is one of these babies
Komplett_HR_Anleitung_da.jpg

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I was thinking maybe the thread should be deleted because - I realise after posting the link - I'm inadvertently encouraging ultra-cheapskateness which beyond a certain point is not helpful for the British ebike retail business.