Checking into from Teesside!

Brian55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2022
Teesside
Hi,

Recently retired, finished remodelling the house, sold the car, built a couple of hot air engines, bored out of my brain, decided to buy a bike.

Due to lack of storage I wanted a folding bike, but also wanted a full 26" wheel.

I used to be a keen cyclist but I can't remember my legs hurting like this. I'm now 70 years of age and I definitely need some help going up the hills.

I have just started looking for kits and realised that I bought the wrong bike. Converting this one may take me a while but am working on being kitted out with electric drive and camping trailer by early summer 2023.

Toodlepip

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: flecc

Laffin ebike

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2022
Hi, I'm from Teesside area too.
That bike should be OK to convert.
I'd recommend going with a 48 volt system,
Front wheel is easier to do, but back wheel is better.

Brian55

Dec 7, 2022
Teesside
Hi, I'm from Teesside area too.
That bike should be OK to convert.
I'd recommend going with a 48 volt system,
Front wheel is easier to do, but back wheel is better.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I am currently leaning towards a mid-drive unit and am in correspondence with whoosh to establish comparability with my bottom bracket which looks different to all others I have seen on YouTube.

To be 100 percent sure I decided to strip out my bottom bracket and take some pictures/measurements. To take the BB out I needed a couple of tools which I promptly ordered

At this point the project came to an abrupt halt, with the spanners becoming a casualty of the postal strike. No progress for10 days.

Very frustrating, but not the end of the world and it is freezing in my shed.

Toodlepip

Brian

Brian55

Dec 7, 2022
Teesside
Settled on the 48v 250w BBS01ET from Whoosh, Andy was a great help and a delight to deal with.

The kit arrived within 24 hours, and was a very straightforward installation, my bike was missing some mounting lugs for the battery rack and needed some additional tools which slowed the build, but I am now mobile.

I have clocked up 1.5 miles on the meter, during which I think I broke 4 laws! It must be impossible to ride an e-bike wihout committing some crime or other.

Toodlepip

Brian

Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
during which I think I broke 4 laws! It must be impossible to ride an e-bike wihout committing some crime or
Glad all went well. Enjoy, I'm sure you will.

As long as the bike itself is legal I can't think of any laws you're more likely to break on a ebike than a regular one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle use #1 , then follows no insurance, testing, licensing & helmet wearing just for basics.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Throttle use #1
Surely if you can make illegal use of the throttle then the bike is illegal (or at least, not a legal pedelec)?