Child/Cargo Carrying Bikes? Any?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Have any of the bike providers on this site got any real child/cargo carrying bikes or bike adaptions pls? Did a search but nothing more recent than 2015 came up, and seemed to draw a blank.
Do providers think of fitting a seat with the std 40mm clamp when they spec these flared tubes?
Could the bike search tool be updated? Its showing bikes no longer in production & has no child/cargo option!
Come on guys.
Mikel

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
How old is your child that you want to transport? I transport my disabled 7-year old son on my Woosh Big Bear in a rear child seat that I bought separately. The seat I use is the Yepp Junior child seat. Here is a link to it: https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/gmg-yepp-rear-seat-junior-budget-black. If your child is five or older it may be of interest to you. I used to use a tag-along trailer to transport my son, but I switched to the child seat about a year ago. In my opinion, a child seat is a lot safer than a tag-along.

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
workcycles-fr8-v8-1498562692.jpg WorkCycles FR8 is getting there, other makers could learn a lot, but still doesn't fold. "Call re electric option", usually means "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". Hehe. (approx $6000+)
Mikel

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Fold?

I didn't read that in your original post. Is that a must have requirement?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Fold?

I didn't read that in your original post. Is that a must have requirement?
True, true, its just that it would be very handy if one lived somewhere with limited space and the Tern Node kept the main frame hinge, etc.
Some allow bike to be stood on end!
Mikel

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Have any of the bike providers on this site got any real child/cargo carrying bikes or bike adaptions pls? Did a search but nothing more recent than 2015 came up, and seemed to draw a blank.
Do providers think of fitting a seat with the std 40mm clamp when they spec these flared tubes?
Could the bike search tool be updated? Its showing bikes no longer in production & has no child/cargo option!
Come on guys.
Mikel
http://practicalcycles.com/ have some choices. The Italian one looks promising, and similar in principle to the Juiced Bikes offering:
https://www.juicedbikes.com/collections/e-bikes/products/odk-u350
I have experience of child seats, and they seem very high up and unstable. The 20 inch wheels keep the weight low.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Said to be available to special order, when they've found replacements for the Italjet components no longer in production. Hmm. 'TheSub9'
MikelTHESUB9.JPG

Roma Invicta

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2018
UK
Is it a good idea to get a bike designed for riding with a child? I mean, the utility of it will be reducing every year. Isn't it better to get a special baby seat? look these up to get what I'm telling about. Bikes which are posted here (on photos, on links) are very handy for carrying children, no doubt. But after a couple of years, you'll need to sell them (unless you get more kids).

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
No need for a cargo bike, get a weehoo trailer and any bike that will allow a pannier rack with clearance for the towbar. I go on plenty of adventures with this setup. Mind I had to upgrade to 48v to feel comfortable pulling it up hills. If the child(ren?) are still quite young then a traditional two wheeler trailer is a good option too, these are more sheltered and won't tip if you have a tumble. Most important thing of course is they wear a helmet. As for riding with a trailer, it doesn't take long for it to be natural, you have to get used to looking behind you when going through tight spots though. If you have someone riding with you they can ride defensively behind you to make you feel safer, generally I avoid roads that don't have a cycle lane where I can though

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
If you're looking for something compact, how about an AddBike, they have a 1-child box or a shopping trolley and it works with rear hub or mid-drive ebikes, there's a dealer in Dublin

Here in the US we have something longer called the Argo, which is a full bakfiets style box, though the bottom bracket spar attachment means it only works with rear hub motor ebikes or one owner decided to motorize the front 20" wheel and mount the battery and controller on the back of the box.

An advantage of either is for ease of storage or if you're transporting kids to school you can carry your front wheel, detach the box and tie it up, reattach your wheel and ride off.

Last edited: