Chinese LIFE cells exchange notice board

MalcolmW

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2011
West Malvern
I'm getting the feeling that an increasing number of members could be sitting on LIFE batteries either in need of cells or suitable as donors. The loss of cells early in the life of a battery need not condemn it to the scrap heap.
Being a newbie I would simply like to float the idea that a part of the site could be a notice board for this. This might be a daft idea,or already existing or whatever. I don't know how one would go about setting it up. Is it a good or a bad idea?

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
Good idea I did think of something like this. I assume that when these battery packs fail it will normally be a few cells underperforming or one failed completely, and not degredation of them all?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree this is a good idea.It could be good for batteries and other parts to be rescued and re-used rather than thrown away.

If a battery pack fails early in it's life it is quite possibly a duff cell or two, or a broken connection inside, and a lot of people don't have the technical knowledge or skills to solve these issues.

People could post what parts they have and the person who wants them pays the postage to get them delivered

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I think you need to think carefully- soldering these cells directly can be dangerous as they could explode. And Isolating a faulty cell sounds easy but because of the way the packs are built up it means separating a full bank of cells to be able to measure any one cell individually. In the link below it is a 36V 20Ah pack. There are 18 cells in each bank, and there are 12 banks of cells. That is 216 cells to isolate, measure, then reconnect or replace. Put a few hours aside for it!

Check out this thread

I'm not saying don't do it, just think about what you could be getting into before committing to anything. Have fun if you go do go ahead- eveyones idea of fun is different!

Last edited: