Choosing a bike for a tall guy (over 6')

fairyhedgehog

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2017
Epsom, UK
My son is 6'2" tall and is finding that all the electric bikes have smaller frames than that recommended for his height.

Can anyone suggest an electric bike that would be suitable for him? We're looking in the range £1000 to £1500. He will be using it to commute 7 miles to work up and down hills in Oxfordshire.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I'm 6'4" and a bit (36" inside leg), and am riding a standard large framed Whyte Coniston, which is comfortable for me.

The Wisper 905's were also a comfortable fit.

If you can get the distances between the pedals, seat and hand grips right, the frame size itself gets less important.

Gaz

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm only 6ft, but because I have truly enormous feet I'm effectively 6"3. I'm most comfortable on a 22/23" mountain bike. So I understand the problem.

While I'm sure there are companies that make them that big they are few and far between.

For this reason, I think it best to find a non powered bike that fits then convert to electric.

Should be easily done for 1k including a new bike (prob a 29er)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks, Alan. Not sure if we could manage this or not but it's worth thinking about.
It's not as hard as you would think, and there are peeps on here who will help, or even do the job for you.

If you have to pay, £100 seems to be the going rate. Prob still within budget.

Reactions: fairyhedgehog

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
At 6ft 2" the lad will only require a standard large frame, not something unusually big.

On eof the advantages of more expensive ebikes is they often come in different frame sizes.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, you might be able to get something like a Cube Bosch powered bike in a large size.

Another point is large bikes are less popular, so a retailer may discount a large stock bike more than a medium which he knows someone will buy.

Last edited:
  • Useful

fairyhedgehog

Jan 15, 2017
Epsom, UK
It's not as hard as you would think, and there are peeps on here who will help, or even do the job for you.

If you have to pay, £100 seems to be the going rate. Prob still within budget.

£100 for someone to do it is well within budget, and we have two good local bike shops to choose from. This is definitely something to look into!

fairyhedgehog

Jan 15, 2017
Epsom, UK
At 6ft 2" the lad will only require a standard large frame, not something unusually big.

On of the advantages of more expensive ebikes is they often come in different frame sizes.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, you might be able to get something like a Cube Bosch powered bike in a large size.

Another point is large bikes are less popular, so a retailer may discount a large stock bike more than a medium which he knows someone will buy.
All good points which I shall pass on to my son.

Thank you!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A bike you could consider is the one-size Winora Radius, currently on offer at £1,595 from 50 Cycles.

It has a compact 20" wheel frame designed to appeal to a wide range of riders.

All that really matters in bike sizing is the three points of contact, saddle, pedals and handlebars.

If you can get those in the right place, the metal and rubber in between them doesn't matter.

Your son would need to try the Winora, but it will likely have a very long seat post which means pedals and saddle will be in the right place.

I don't think that model has adjustable handlebars, but they will be set fairly high so will probably be suitable.

In other respects, the Winora is a good quality bicycle for the money, the Yamaha crank drive is one of the best and the bike components should be durable.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/winora-bikes/radius_plain.html

Last edited:

fairyhedgehog

Jan 15, 2017
Epsom, UK
A bike you could consider is the one-size Winora Radius, currently on offer at £1,595 from 50 Cycles.

It has a compact 20" frame designed to appeal to a wide range of riders.

All that really matters in bike sizing is the three points of contact, saddle, pedals and handlebars.

If you can get those in the right place, the metal and rubber in between them doesn't matter.

Your son would need to try the Winora, but it will likely have a very long seat post which means pedals and saddle will be in the right place.

I don't think that model has adjustable handlebars, but they will be set fairly high so will probably be suitable.

In other respects, the Winora is a good quality bicycle for the money, the Yamaha crank drive is one of the best and the bike components should be durable.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/winora-bikes/radius_plain.html
It's definitely in our price range. As you say, the only way to see if he could ride it comfortably is to try it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Size aside, a commuting bike would normally have mudguards, a rack to carry stuff and lights.

The Winora has none of those, but could have relatively cheaply.

It may be son doesn't need to carry much luggage so could use a rucksack, a clip-on handlebar bag or fit a rear carrier if more capacity is needed.

Modern LED clip-on bike lights are cheap and work a treat.

Mudguards are available for 20" bikes, the frame may have bosses but 'guards can always be fitted somehow..

• Useful

fairyhedgehog

Jan 15, 2017
Epsom, UK
Size aside, a commuting bike would normally have mudguards, a rack to carry stuff and lights.

The Winora has none of those, but could have relatively cheaply.

It may be son doesn't need to carry much luggage so could use a rucksack, a clip-on handlebar bag or fit a rear carrier if more capacity is needed.

Modern LED clip-on bike lights are cheap and work a treat.

Mudguards are available for 20" bikes, the frame may have bosses but 'guards can always be fitted somehow..
He'd definitely need mudguards for commuting! I've ridden with and without and I wouldn't like to turn up at work covered in mud!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
On a minor point, the Winora has a plastic sleeve which covers three sides of the chain.

A good idea for a commuter in terms of rider cleanliness and reduced chain maintenance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello FH,

Please take a look at the Woosh Bermuda.
It has a good size frame, 27.5" wheels, good motor and range.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda.

If you have any question, just ask.

• Useful

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you are considering budget Chinese, Kudos is also worth a look.

They have several models which are reasonably well kitted out for commuting.

Dave, who owns the business, is a member on here. Kudos isn't far from you in Kent, and they have a good reputation for service.

Commuting is the hardest use for any bike, and I'm not convinced the budget Chinese bikes are up to it.

Of course, those that sell them will disagree.

I am independent in that I couldn't give a stuff about any bike brand, including the ones I own.

The Chinese bikes tend to suffer from niggly faults, often electrical - dozens of posts on here demonstrate that.

Fixing the faults is usually not difficult, but neither is it instant, which can cause problems when you rely on the bike to get to work.

http://kudoscycles.com/