Choosing a headset.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have a problem with my non electric bike. The steering head bearings are worn out. I have had this bike since 1911, and it has done at least 4k miles ayer. I have adjusted the bearings, and greased them several times over the years, and now I want to replace the bearings, and the bearing cups, including the lower one on the fork crown. The bike has a threaded headset. The bike is a Raleigh Metro pioneer. I need to know what to buy, as there are a bewildering array of types available. Is it one inch, or one and one eighth inch or some other size? can i measure it without stripping it? Would appreciate help.
Edit The handlebar stem is one inch diameter.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Haha, I genuinely believed you had an antique bike that needed a new headset. I should have thought a bit harder, 4k m/year, over 400,000 miles!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
It's not the age of the bike but the age of the rider. Bought in 1911 at perhaps age 12? Age now 117? And still riding!

Reactions: Alan Quay

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
OK. Rather than strip the bike to measure things, I had a quick word with the bike mechanic at Halfords. He told me I needed a 1 1/8" headset. They did not have one on stock so I bought one on Ebay. I forget the price, bur around £5, including the frame bearing cps, and the crown race that fits onto the steerer tube. Fitting took about one and a half hours. The stem wedge was corroded into the steerer tube, so I had to remove the front wheel and mudguard and knock it out from the bottom with a hammer and drift. All up and working now.The improvement in handling, especially at low speeds is quite dramatic.