Choosing the right bike! Which one?

Baneli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Hey everyone! first of thank you for reading and big thumbs up to everyone who can help :)
I am new to the forum, and new to ebikes in general, however I have been reading the site for a while so hope I have the basic understanding either way. So I shall just get right into it shall I.? :)

I am looking for a ebike for my daily commute to work.. the route is 8 miles each way (16 miles a day) with a 15 min train ride in the middle, thats only one stop so I doubt a folding bike is really needed as my train is at 6.30 in the morning and past 6 in the evening so should be more quieter at these times! I am around 5ft 10" and weight about 85kg. The route is basically flat, with the acceptation of one pretty steep hill on the return side of things, about 300 meters long at about 14% radiant climb. I have no traffic lights on my route and will have almost no stop and start moments bar 1 I can actually think off. Acceleration would be cool, but not necessary.

I am aware of the UK laws being 15.5mph limit but I am also very aware that as long as I'm not riding like a maniac and being dangerous then they have no real reason to give me a second look if you get me :) I wouldn't mind a bike that I can adjust this restriction or simply doesn't have it but of course if I was flying by effortlessly at 30mph that would cause some raised eyebrows! I am happy to oblige by these laws of course but I do admire a bit of speed ;)

I have been looking at more bikes then I can even remember but believe these 3 might match what I am after.. even then I am unsure totally, thats why I'm here :) I am able to charge every night if needed but would like something that is quicker then something that accelerates faster then cars! although both wouldn't be unwelcome ;) hehe!

Pedalease Hybrid X-cross,
https://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=70&product_id=13172407

The Sirocco,
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco

and the Kudos Eiger
https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=328

Can anyone give me any insight to these bikes or even point me in the direction of one that may suit which I have missed? My budget is really about £800-£1000 as it will be going on the card for me to payoff :( I know, I know, but the savings I will make from not driving will pay the bike off within weeks!

Thank you so much for any replies and ill be around for any more questions if I missed anything to give people a better understanding of my situation :)

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Baneli,
the Pedalease Hybrid X-Cross is probably the fastest of the three if derestricted.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hey everyone! first of thank you for reading and big thumbs up to everyone who can help :)
I am new to the forum, and new to ebikes in general, however I have been reading the site for a while so hope I have the basic understanding either way. So I shall just get right into it shall I.? :)

I am looking for a ebike for my daily commute to work.. the route is 8 miles each way (16 miles a day) with a 15 min train ride in the middle, thats only one stop so I doubt a folding bike is really needed as my train is at 6.30 in the morning and past 6 in the evening so should be more quieter at these times! I am around 5ft 10" and weight about 85kg. The route is basically flat, with the acceptation of one pretty steep hill on the return side of things, about 300 meters long at about 14% radiant climb. I have no traffic lights on my route and will have almost no stop and start moments bar 1 I can actually think off. Acceleration would be cool, but not necessary.

I am aware of the UK laws being 15.5mph limit but I am also very aware that as long as I'm not riding like a maniac and being dangerous then they have no real reason to give me a second look if you get me :) I wouldn't mind a bike that I can adjust this restriction or simply doesn't have it but of course if I was flying by effortlessly at 30mph that would cause some raised eyebrows! I am happy to oblige by these laws of course but I do admire a bit of speed ;)

I have been looking at more bikes then I can even remember but believe these 3 might match what I am after.. even then I am unsure totally, thats why I'm here :) I am able to charge every night if needed but would like something that is quicker then something that accelerates faster then cars! although both wouldn't be unwelcome ;) hehe!

Pedalease Hybrid X-cross,
https://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=70&product_id=13172407

The Sirocco,
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco

and the Kudos Eiger
https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=328

Can anyone give me any insight to these bikes or even point me in the direction of one that may suit which I have missed? My budget is really about £800-£1000 as it will be going on the card for me to payoff :( I know, I know, but the savings I will make from not driving will pay the bike off within weeks!

Thank you so much for any replies and ill be around for any more questions if I missed anything to give people a better understanding of my situation :)
A 8 mile run would be very suitable and should take 30 minutes journey time. 15 mph is quite fast and even going up to 22 mph would not reduce it much. My suggestion is not to worry about dongles and just enjoy the extra few minutes . Any decent ebike will work for you . The major concern will be where you park it during the working day , if it's nice and flashy it will attract the wrong attention..
Others might disagree, but if you are trying to manouver it through access gates and onto trains , small wheels will be more suitable. Think 20 inch to 26 inch max. There might be an advantage in a front or mid motor as with both battery and motor at the back , they are unbalanced. .. not a problem when up and cycling but as a pedestrian going through gates etc.

• Informative
Reactions: 2Lazy and LeighPing

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Many train operators have restrictions on carrying bikes at peak times. Do you know for certain that travelling with the bike on the train won't be a problem? If so then no worries, if not then it's definitely worth checking first. Folding bikes are generally allowed even at peak times so that's always an option.

As Danidl says security is a concern with ebikes. Do you have secure bike storage at your destination?

As for the bike £1000 should get you something decent. Your first decision may be to choose between crank drive and hub drive. Crank drives usually come in at a higher price point in any case but there may be a few in your price range. Hub drives generally offer a more scooter like feel i.e., minimum effort, and some will offer twist and go throttle which can be useful for pulling away from a standing start and modulating your speed. I have a hub drive bike for commuting as I want zero effort but you may want a different riding experience. Also for commuting integrated lights are very useful as is a pannier rack. Take manufacturers range estimates with a pinch of salt but a 16 mile round trip should be absolutely fine for almost all ebikes.

It's always best to test ride a few bikes and if possible visit a few ebikes shops. Ideally buy from a local independent ebike shop as they generally offer much better service than high street chains and it's good to have the option to get repairs and servicing done locally.

Reactions: gray198

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Have you considered doing train section by ebike?. May not be that much slower by time you get on and off train, plus you are not at mercy of train timetables.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
A 36 volt 17Ah battery elegantly placed behind the tube, this incredible high-performance battery technology with 50 cells has the capacity of 612 Wh, under ideal conditions power reserves give a range of up to 125 miles (200 km).

How many miles on undulating terrain. Display says a quarter gone (trial) and only six miles on the clock. So this is 25 miles from new. Not much?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
30 mph is not going to attract attention, have you seen strava stats!. Cruising at 30 for any distance is unlikely, unless your a pro, have a stealth bomber 52 or your going downhill for miles.;)

• :D

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Yes the train section is a problem for me I realise! It's 15 min ride and covers around 20-25 miles so biking would just make it a day ride for me!! I wish I could but just out of my ability :( I do have to check that I will be alright at that time, I have been on the train in the other direction in the morning towards London (I live near Cambridge) and it's been fine with my standard mountain bike so heading away from London in the morning should be fine! But I will double check and maybe ride it one morning without the bike to make sure!

We do have a bike rack a work I will be able to put it in and lock to, hidden round the back so that's not a problem luckily!

Are ebikes easy enough to de-restrict? I have read many forums of people saying it's just in the controller? I don't mind doing the 15 speed limit but I just know of those horrible raining days I will wish I had some more speed on me ;) as this is a bike everyday rain or shine for me.. no car option anymore!

Maybe a hub drive is better option for me then, I want less effort because I don't want to be turning up to work sweeting and tired, the workouts will have to wait for the weekend ;)

Thank you for the help so far girls and guys! Much appreciated, I did find this bike at Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/greenedge-cs2-electric-mountain-bike
Some people have said good things about it, there is a thread here somewhere about it plus I could de-restrict it.. what's people view on it?

I wish I had more time to really research this better but currently I am not at home and can't pop into a shop anywhere to test ride :( fingers crossed I will have time when I get home, not just going to buy something online without a test first! Just wanting to get my options open!! :)

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I had the CS2 for a few months before changing to something else.

While I thought the CS2 was a good enough bike for using on the road, it wasnt handling the tow paths that I ride down on my commute very well.

The biggest problem I had was the way the battery is fixed to the bike. The slightest bump in the road, and the battery would rattle in the mounting bracket, and that led to problems. The pins in the battery holder got jammed and that broke the terminals on the battery.

All was replaced under the warranty, but at that point I decided to change the bike as I could see it happening again and again.

I do 29 miles a day to work, maybe if I did less and not so many miles off road, it woukld have been ideal.

I ended up with a cycloctricity stealth. It too has had it problems, but overall, it has managed my journey a lot better, and the extra speed is an added bonus.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe a hub drive is better option for me then
yes. I would concur.
CD bikes are faster when derestricted because the hub motors have their RPM limited by design.
For your requirements, I would recommend the Woosh Zephyr 2017.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

It is a very comfortable full-sus bike, lightweight, well balanced, and can also be folded so will be acceptable to take into trains. It is also stealthy because its 12AH battery is hidden inside the frame. Range is around 35 miles on a full charge.
The Zephyr is better equipped than most commuting bikes you'll find, fitted with a powerful Bafang SWX02, hydraulic brakes front and rear and full acting throttle. To comply with the new regulations, you have to start pedaling a little bit to activate the throttle.

• Informative

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Yeah I was really thinking about the zephyr, it's very stealthy and would be perfect for the train section of my ride! I have a few options I am going to have to think over in my head and work out the best route for me. If it's able to be folded as well I might even be able to take it into the workshop with me for extra security! Always nice to be able to see the bike while working :)

I know the route I will be taking is not the most bike friendly, I mean most the way has bike paths but they have been left to the elements for to long and have a few big holes breaking apart! If the CS2 is as bad as you say with the battery then I'm guessing it won't take long for this issue to show itself.

Thank you all once again, this has been a big help to get a better understanding of the bikes I have been looking at! I'm going to take myself on the train first before I make a final decision, only seeing for myself is what's going to make my mind up! :)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes the train section is a problem for me I realise! It's 15 min ride and covers around 20-25 miles so biking would just make it a day ride for me!! I wish I could but just out of my ability :( I do have to check that I will be alright at that time, I have been on the train in the other direction in the morning towards London (I live near Cambridge) and it's been fine with my standard mountain bike so heading away from London in the morning should be fine! But I will double check and maybe ride it one morning without the bike to make sure!

We do have a bike rack a work I will be able to put it in and lock to, hidden round the back so that's not a problem luckily!

Are ebikes easy enough to de-restrict? I have read many forums of people saying it's just in the controller? I don't mind doing the 15 speed limit but I just know of those horrible raining days I will wish I had some more speed on me ;) as this is a bike everyday rain or shine for me.. no car option anymore!

Maybe a hub drive is better option for me then, I want less effort because I don't want to be turning up to work sweeting and tired, the workouts will have to wait for the weekend ;)

Thank you for the help so far girls and guys! Much appreciated, I did find this bike at Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/greenedge-cs2-electric-mountain-bike
Some people have said good things about it, there is a thread here somewhere about it plus I could de-restrict it.. what's people view on it?

I wish I had more time to really research this better but currently I am not at home and can't pop into a shop anywhere to test ride :( fingers crossed I will have time when I get home, not just going to buy something online without a test first! Just wanting to get my options open!! :)

... On a miserable rainy day you do not want to go fast. Rain in the face is unpleasant. And if you wear glasses, well seeing is a nice option at speed. You need proper rain gear. , Probably panniers also to store a the rain gear for the 60% of time you don't need it.Wearing a rucksack is a bad idea, sweaty, weight at the wrong height, and tiring as it moves with the body. Even aldi rain gear is good enough especially the overthrouser. Travelling at your legal 25km HR limit, you should not get hot and sweaty over the 30 minutes, .. just adaquately excercised.
As you may have gathered, I am not a fan of derestricting the bike, power consumption goes up dramatically for minimal performance gain.
Best of luck..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
A 36 volt 17Ah battery elegantly placed behind the tube, this incredible high-performance battery technology with 50 cells has the capacity of 612 Wh, under ideal conditions power reserves give a range of up to 125 miles (200 km).

How many miles on undulating terrain. Display says a quarter gone (trial) and only six miles on the clock. So this is 25 miles from new. Not much?
.. not much information to work with. Speed, dongled , wind , weight of passenger and luggage peddling or throttle only. Even the nature of the display does it display battery voltage , or current consumed or power consumed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah I was really thinking about the zephyr, it's very stealthy and would be perfect for the train section of my ride! I have a few options I am going to have to think over in my head and work out the best route for me. If it's able to be folded as well I might even be able to take it into the workshop with me for extra security! Always nice to be able to see the bike while working :)

I know the route I will be taking is not the most bike friendly, I mean most the way has bike paths but they have been left to the elements for to long and have a few big holes breaking apart! If the CS2 is as bad as you say with the battery then I'm guessing it won't take long for this issue to show itself.

Thank you all once again, this has been a big help to get a better understanding of the bikes I have been looking at! I'm going to take myself on the train first before I make a final decision, only seeing for myself is what's going to make my mind up! :)
The Zephyr is a heavy, unwieldy lump of a bike.

The 'folded' package is difficult to lift into the back of a hatchback and certainly not easy to carry very far.

It would go on the train unfolded, but I think you would want to wheel it to your workshop before folding.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Zephyr is a heavy, unwieldy lump of a bike.
RobF, it is much lighter and more refined than the early one you tested a couple of years back.

it is lighter than the average 26" hard tail and the weight is well balanced, making it easier to lift than most.
When folded, it sits on its own little stand.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Multi-modal commuting by ebike sounds attractive but doesn't work well in practice.

Even my Brompton Nano - which was approximately 100 times handier than any full size wheel ebike - was hard work on a train.

It was mostly easier to leave it unfolded.

The short wheelbase and small wheels made it less of a nuisance than a big wheel bike in a crowded railway carriage.

I took my Rose from Brighton to London, however I rammed the thing into the bike parking area by the carriage doors, it all but blocked the corridor.

To be fair, fellow passengers took no issue with it - I was expecting to be at least scowled at a couple of times.

Fine for the occasional one-off, but not twice a day.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Multi-modal commuting by ebike sounds attractive but doesn't work well in practice.

Even my Brompton Nano - which was approximately 100 times handier than any full size wheel ebike - was hard work on a train.

It was mostly easier to leave it unfolded.

The short wheelbase and small wheels made it less of a nuisance than a big wheel bike in a crowded railway carriage.

I took my Rose from Brighton to London, however I rammed the thing into the bike parking area by the carriage doors, it all but blocked the corridor.

To be fair, fellow passengers took no issue with it - I was expecting to be at least scowled at a couple of times.

Fine for the occasional one-off, but not twice a day.
... I hope that Rose is a pet name for your bike not your wife, otherwise your fellow passengers are remarkably sangfroid.

• :D
Reactions: Sarabee

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
During demos on the Zephyr, many customers try to lift and carry the bikes.
The Zephyr is easy to lift. You can grab the rear suspension link, lift the bike up and carry it instead of pushing it up the step.