Chunky monkey needs a kit!

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
As I've said before, breaking spokes is nothing to do with spoke length or gauge. Motorbikes have hubs the size of a BPM motor and 13g or 12g spokes or even thicker, plus the rims are smaller, so the spokes are shorter. The motorbike motor is typically 12 times the power of a BPM motor too. I've not heard of any spokes breaking on motorbikes.

The tax/duty is normally something from £15 to £35 - maybe £40 if you have a battery too.

We normally buy lipos from Hobbyking, who have a UK warehouse. BMSBattery do a lot of nice batteries, but not 44v (12S) ones. Nearly all 36v controllers can run on 44v, which gives 20% more speed and torque from the 36v system, so it makes the motor a bit more sprightly. The 201 rpm motors that BMSB sell are just a bit too slow for some of us. There's no other way to speed them up other than to give them more volts.

The 328 rpm small motors are too fast for their power. They're not good in a 26" or bigger wheel unless you're very light. 328 rpm is OK for bigger motors that have the power to take you up to 25 mph. You need about 1000w from the battery for that, which means a 25A controller at 48v or a 30A one at 36v. Then you need a powerful big battery to give those currents for any length of time.
one absolutely last question - on a hase tagun (long wheel base recumbent with size 20 wheels, 8 speed casette, marathon plus') would on go for the 328 rpm or 260rpm motor if one wanted a top speed of around 20mph and good hill climbing? many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

There's X number of cells in the battery, which are in packs that make the total. Typically, a 10aH 12S (44v) pack will be made of four blocks of six 5ah cells, so if you get a problem with a bad cell, you only have to replace one block at 1/4 of the cost.

This is what it would look like in the bottom right of this picture:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
There's X number of cells in the battery, which are in packs that make the total. Typically, a 10aH 12S (44v) pack will be made of four blocks of six 5ah cells, so if you get a problem with a bad cell, you only have to replace one block at 1/4 of the cost.

This is what it would look like in the bottom right of this picture:

many thanks, that clarifies things (though the number of leads parallel, series and balancing, suggests a vast amount of soldiering to me)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
many thanks for info, will look at battery next, ive ordered a 328 rpm kit for a 20 wheel but have to mention that delivery adds about £100, though it still seems relatively cheap

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
many thanks for info, will look at battery next, ive ordered a 328 rpm kit for a 20 wheel but have to mention that delivery adds about £100, though it still seems relatively cheap
given that it includes a built 20 wheel with motor..

D

Deleted member 4366

The only thing that counts is the overall cost, and you won't know that until, it's up and running.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
The only thing that counts is the overall cost, and you won't know that until, it's up and running.
for this first self build I have a total budget of £300..many thanks all for the helpful advice

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
sorry to flag this up again, but could you say which packs specifically you thought would be good amigafan (I looked at hobby king but am too noob to see which to get), many thanks