City of London E Cop!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Rustic

They have fitted a very sturdy U lock onto the rack. Although it does take nearly a minute to fit. It'll give you a chance to make a run for it!! :D

All the best

David

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I think at least two PCSO's have had their bikes nicked in my area.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Well done wisper this can only be good for the electric bike scene. This could be a very good break through that electric bikes need. The more mainstream they become the more accepted alternative they will be seen as. Let be honest if they do not take off under this climate they will always be seen as the oddball choice.

But again i say until the manufacturers offer a decent frame range then serious cyclist/commuters will just ignore them. No way would i pay the best part of 2K to be crammed onto a frame that does not fit. Was very tempted by the 906 but again frame only one size.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Overlander

We do have the choice of the 28" wheeled 906Alpino. The 28" has a large frame with all the running gear that is on the XC Tourer with the exception of air shocks, carbon bars and seat post and a Carbon Matrix frame.

IMG_3954 (1) 100KB.jpg

All the best

David

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi David,

It does look a nice bike, i am considering a second bike as the Trek is taking a hammering with all the grit/salt on the road. It would be good to have one for commuting and one for leisure as the commuter really takes some abuse. I really do like the 906 in white.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi David,

It does look a nice bike, i am considering a second bike as the Trek is taking a hammering with all the grit/salt on the road. It would be good to have one for commuting and one for leisure as the commuter really takes some abuse. I really do like the 906 in white.
The 906 makes a good commuting bike, much less maintenance than the 905 was.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yeh! well done David, it can take a lot of time and effort to get something like this off the ground. The Wispers being used like this under all sorts of conditions can only lead to them becoming better and 100% reliable. You certainly are leading the charge and good luck with future projects cos you deserve it mate.

Dave

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
All coppers need electric bikes as all the donuts they eat they wont be able to catch crooks :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David!

I am currently in a telephone conference with LEVA and ETRA. We are trying to make an amendment that will make 25kg, 250W, 25k/h electric vehicles exempt from type approval with or without pedals, so the likes of Trikke, Yike and Segway (although currently nearly 2kW) would join the class of vehicles that "should not be considered motor vehicles". This of course would mean that electric bikes with throttle only would become legal through-out Europe.

Off topic I know, but interesting!

All the best

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
What has the bike got in terms of security? I'm just imagining a scenario where the policeman follows the thief on his bike, but then needs to get off the bike to chase him down a narrow alley (ok, I've probably watched too many episodes of the sweeny over christmas), but he wont want to spend time fiddling around with a lock, and certainly wont want to leave such an expensive piece of kit unsecured.
I've not come many alleyways you can't get a bike down.. whether you should is another matter, some are marked no cycling, when I was a lad in the 80s the local bobby (more about him later) would wait with his bike at the bottom of said alley and give you a telling off if he caught you cycling down it..

Why would the cop want to lose the tactical advantage of being on the e-bike, and continue the chase on foot? with todays airwave radio (often GPS equipped), even if the alley really was to narrow they could get directions to the other end of the alley and/or call for CCTV or another unit to watch the suspect should they get away... also they don't haul the suspect in by the collar like the old days, a panda car with more officers usually picks them up anyway...

A suspect on foot will tire long before the cop even on a pushbike.

The local bobby in my old area I mentioned earlier was a keen cyclist and even when in his late 40s/early 50s before retirement actually let a guy (wanted for burgling and old persons house) "run off" - kept him in sight, and then rode up to him as just as the suspect was getting out of breath and said - OK, how long do you want to keep this up for? The suspect gave himself up :D

BTW this cops last bike also had sirens and lights on it, never saw him chase anyone though but its happened elsewhere in TVP region apparently...

Last edited:

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Thanks Bruce, we should all be in touch with our local police forces with our various brands, I believe this is a superb way of publicising the advantages of electric biking.

I know a great many forces have started to use them all over the world, we simply need to keep up the pressure.

All the best

David
Well done David, your bike now joins an every growing list of electric bikes being used by the police around the UK, A few I know of, London parks police, Dover harbour police, Birmingham airport police, lancashire police, Bristol police, Wiltshire police, North wales police. I am sure there are more, any dealers want to add the list?

Whilst a good case can be made for ebikes, my personal feeling is that like many other countries, the UK police are more likley, in the long run, to adopt electric scooters. With speeds of 50 mph + on some models, much longer range than ebikes and the abilty to carry more essential equipment, they provide a more flexible solution.

I have just returned from Tenerife and the local police were covering areas were cars were not allowed on electric scooters. I have also seen them in use in Holland and Italy.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dan

Thanks for your comments!

I agree there is a case for the e scooter too, however for a light weight and relatively cheap unit I think the bike takes a lot of beating. The CoL police are currently looking at the best and fastest way to move a defibrillator around the square mile and it seems the e-bike is the best solution of all.

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Whilst a good case can be made for ebikes, my personal feeling is that like many other countries, the UK police are more likley, in the long run, to adopt electric scooters. With speeds of 50 mph + on some models, much longer range than ebikes and the abilty to carry more essential equipment, they provide a more flexible solution.
Having ridden motorbikes and ebikes around London the ebikes are far more agile and able to get past obstructions, in the city they make a lot of sense.
I can't see electric scooters beng useful anywhere else either as petrol motorbikes outclass them in almost every way.

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
I can't see electric scooters beng useful anywhere else either as petrol motorbikes outclass them in almost every way.
Indeed, why wouldn't the police just use petrol scooters or motorbikes? The ebike maintains pretty much all the advantages of a conventional bike.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Nice one :cool:

Do you reckon it'd be possible to go up and see them in action? Maybe one of them might be interested in showing off one of their new gadgets to a camera? Prime material for promotional stuff this, especially the mobile phone driver story.

Now to get one in a Bond film.

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
legal throttle europe?

From Wisper bikes.
I am currently in a telephone conference with LEVA and ETRA. We are trying to make an amendment that will make 25kg, 250W, 25k/h electric vehicles exempt from type approval with or without pedals, so the likes of Trikke, Yike and Segway (although currently nearly 2kW) would join the class of vehicles that "should not be considered motor vehicles". This of course would mean that electric bikes with throttle only would become legal through-out Europe.

All the best
If you can get this through i might even vote in the next euro election! Though i dont think its a bike without pedals.Iive been dismayed at the throttle surrender mentality on the forum with reference to european law. This is the 21st century and the ebike especially with independent throttle option is green and cool and should be promoted by H.M gov as well as it is by innovative and progressive manufacturers like yourself David.
Green lifepo4 powered cars and ebikes with their health benefits are the way forward.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks David!

All the best

David
I suggest you Europeans may accept throttle on ebikes if you point out that not having a throttle could prevent some disabled people from using an e-bike. Current proposals could be breaking European Disability Legislation?

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Love the initiative David. Would love Leicestershire Constabulary to take it on board

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If you can get this through i might even vote in the next euro election! Though i dont think its a bike without pedals.Iive been dismayed at the throttle surrender mentality on the forum with reference to european law. This is the 21st century and the ebike especially with independent throttle option is green and cool and should be promoted by H.M gov as well as it is by innovative and progressive manufacturers like yourself David.
Green lifepo4 powered cars and ebikes with their health benefits are the way forward.
If we can get the EU to make the change, I believe it will be a massive advance in favour of very light electric vehicle acceptance.

We hope to be adding a Lithium Sulphur battery to our bikes in 2012 which (hopefully) will be the next big thing in battery technology and will boost the green credentials of electric vehicles even further.