Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Can i just add that the evo motor in the new kalkhoff integrale is so quiet that you think it isn`t on even in the highest power mode ``ultra``,i have one and i haven`t covered many miles on it but for me i still prefer the geometry of my focus jarifa mtb with the impulse 2 motor so i`m staying with that and praying it stays in one piece.

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
I wonder if anyone has web address/link to the German sites that discuss grinding / clacking noise problems from impulse 2 motors?

Cheers,

Oscdav

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Unfortunately the 'clacking' from the motor is the first sign of failure. I wouldn't wait to get it repaired. Before the long the pedals will start to lock up occasionally which can be dangerous. 1000 miles seems to be the best you can expect from the impulse 2 or has someone out there done more trouble free miles?

2500 here and it sounds the same as when I got it at just over 1000..

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
There is a statement from 50cycles posted under the OP at the top of this thread. It seems that the problems with impulse motors have been caused by a timing issue which is correctable by a software update.

The statement also says that customers out of warranty will be able to have their motors reconditioned. It doesn't say whether there will be a charge for this, but since the timing issue is due to an inherent fasult in the software, all repairs should be free of charge; indeed there should be a product recall where all affected units are either updated, replaced or reconditioned as applicable.

In any case, this should be of some comfort to users of impulse 2 motors going forward.

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
Should have been discovered and rectified long ago by Derby Cycles.
Really not good enough from an owners angle or such a Premium brand name as Kalkhoff.
Latest 50 post still worryingly, rather sketchy.

Reactions: oriteroom

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
There is a statement from 50cycles posted under the OP at the top of this thread. It seems that the problems with impulse motors have been caused by a timing issue which is correctable by a software update.

The statement also says that customers out of warranty will be able to have their motors reconditioned. It doesn't say whether there will be a charge for this, but since the timing issue is due to an inherent fasult in the software, all repairs should be free of charge; indeed there should be a product recall where all affected units are either updated, replaced or reconditioned as applicable.

In any case, this should be of some comfort to users of impulse 2 motors going forward.
The 50 cycles 'addition' to original post, what a stupid place to put it and not copy it later in the thread....so I will repost here....

50cycles Statement (Feb 2016)

'After our annual service meeting with Derby Cycles it was pointed out to us that a simple software update will rectify the timing issues with both Pedal and Torque sensors that previously may have damaged the motor.

The result of this was a slight clicking sensation in the crank arm that if continued without the proper update could cause damage to the pulls which in turn would cause a lack of drive assistance leading to eventually a motor failure.

However this does not effect any warranties and has been dealt with promptly in all cases. For those customers that have been caught out of warranty they have been offered for their motors to be reconditioned. This error only occurred in a small volume of models during 2013/2014 models.

It has also been discovered that this error could occur by fault of the customer when either dropping the bike or having a collision that impacted the motor such as kerbing the bike with the riders full weight.

This potentially could cause a fault to the sensors resulting in a similar problem as above. However these sensor are covered under warranty and are dealt with as such. Again this only happened with Pre 2015 models and has since been resolved.'

Missed this over the time this thread has been running (only check new messages). If true, then how come second and even third replacement motors have been failing? Partially reassured but not convinced. WILL 50Cycles BE RECALLING IMPULSE 2 MOTOR OWNERS TO ADVISE THEM A NEED FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE?

Last edited:

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
The 50 cycles 'addition' to original post, what a stupid place to put it and not copy it later in the thread....so I will repost here....

50cycles Statement (Feb 2016)

'After our annual service meeting with Derby Cycles it was pointed out to us that a simple software update will rectify the timing issues with both Pedal and Torque sensors that previously may have damaged the motor.

The result of this was a slight clicking sensation in the crank arm that if continued without the proper update could cause damage to the pulls which in turn would cause a lack of drive assistance leading to eventually a motor failure.

However this does not effect any warranties and has been dealt with promptly in all cases. For those customers that have been caught out of warranty they have been offered for their motors to be reconditioned. This error only occurred in a small volume of models during 2013/2014 models.

It has also been discovered that this error could occur by fault of the customer when either dropping the bike or having a collision that impacted the motor such as kerbing the bike with the riders full weight.

This potentially could cause a fault to the sensors resulting in a similar problem as above. However these sensor are covered under warranty and are dealt with as such. Again this only happened with Pre 2015 models and has since been resolved.'

Missed this over the time this thread has been running (only check new messages). If true, then how come second and even third replacement motors have been failing? Partially reassured but not convinced. WILL 50Cycles BE RECALLING IMPULSE 2 MOTOR OWNERS TO ADVISE THEM A NEED FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE?

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
It seems that the problems with impulse motors have been caused by a timing issue which is correctable by a software update
Well, I am the OP, and the issue was resolved by a complete replacement of the motor. I am sure they would have just done a software update if it could be resolved that way, so I don't really understand the update from 50 cycles.

I didn't see my original post being updated either several months later, and I am not the one who edited it, so some mod thought it was appropriate to do so...

Last edited:

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Well, I am the OP,
I didn't see my original post being updated either several months later, and I am not the one who edited it, so some mod thought it was appropriate to do so...
The plot thickens!!!!!!!

How come the OP's original post has been 'added to' by 50cycles or the moderator has allowed it to be added to? Does that mean that any of our posts can be added to after representations from third parties, without the OP knowledge!!!!

By the way, Tom, what's the latest on your new motor?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomtomato

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Well, I am the OP, and the issue was resolved by a complete replacement of the motor. I am sure they would have just done a software update if it could be resolved that way, so I don't really understand the update from 50 cycles.

Reading the statement, I don't think they knew about this until their recent meeting with Derby Cycle. Also they seem to say that the update will correct the issue so long as it is applied soon after symptoms appear, otherwise damage will be caused eventually requiring replacement or reconditioning.

Whoever edited the post should have at least made a new post pointing to it. I suppose they wanted it at the top of the thread so that new readers would find it without reading through the whole thread.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Well, I was offered a software update for my Demo model, this was made to me via a e mail newsletter shortly after I bought the bike from Bristol showroom.
I was headed that way one weekend so took it,didn't take long,I don't seem to have any issues, but the battery has, won't hold anymore than 75% charge.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I am doing a lot less cycling in winter (as only cycling week-ends, for leisure), and the motor was replaced at the end of last year.

I have done about 550 miles with the new one, and I haven't had issues. I guess it will be more interesting to assess once I have done 1,500 or 2,000 miles with the new one, but this will probably be well after the summer.

The bike now has about 1,600 miles, and is performing very well. No mechanical issues, and the chain is still the original one (and does not seem to be at more than 0.5% wear yet, which is surprising).

Another surprising fact is that the Marathon tires never seem to deflate either.

I can achieve probably 90 - 100 miles with the 17Ah battery (cycling 95% of the time with the lowest assistance and good pedaling). I did 35 miles on my last trip, and only one third of the battery was used.

It's good to see that Derby Cycle/50 Cycles are now acknowledging there is indeed an issue with the Impulse 2 motor, they have a pro-active solution/fix for it, and they will deal with damaged motors, even post-warranty (will have no other choices now anyway). I guess the aim of this post has been well achieved.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Partially reassured but not convinced. WILL 50Cycles BE RECALLING IMPULSE 2 MOTOR OWNERS TO ADVISE THEM A NEED FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE?
I for one have heard nothing from them and I only live a couple of miles from their Bristol showroom. I believe that contacting owners would be the sensible and decent thing to do.

To be fair to Derby cycles and 50 cycles, they have offered what looks like a solution to what may still be considered a relatively rare issue. Not only that, but they have offered to recondition motors that have suffered due to their claimed software generated problem.. for nothing, even outside of the warranty. Try getting that sort of response from a car manufacturer in similar circumstances.

If this fix is true, then it's an amazingly good outcome considering the problem could be much harder to fix.

Last edited:

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I took my bike in for a service (50Cycles Bristol) on Saturday. A software update was performed on the motor, althoug there was no specific mention of it fixing the clacking issue (even though it is something I raised).

I did notice the clicking persisted after the update, and seems no better or worse. It was never particularly bad for me anyway, so providing it doesn't worsen I can live with that.

Outside of that, I have noticed that the behaviour of the assistance is a little different in how/when it cuts out. Not sure if it's better or worse. Just different.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
That was my fault, I was going to add it the first post and to the end of the thread, but forgot to save it.

The plot thickens!!!!!!!

How come the OP's original post has been 'added to' by 50cycles or the moderator has allowed it to be added to? Does that mean that any of our posts can be added to after representations from third parties, without the OP knowledge!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.