Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
In the table below you find all data concerning Impulse problems made by a member of the German pedelecforum, free to edit.
It's a review of all complaints by different members, very informative:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQ6DqHS4uXCNybjnlXZD3dOU_ylw5Qwsc0_89coCsF0/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks very much for that.

Yes, the German forum seems to echo exactly what's on here. No other motors are getting that level of unreliability, judging by the comparative quantity of posts.

There do seem to be fewer issues reported with the Evo so far (yes, I have seen a few... but nothing like this). So perhaps the Evo is a bit more reliable.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You guys pay a premium for German/Austrian bikes,I am respectful of that I sell KTM from Austria,usually fitted with Bosch or Panasonic motors,warranty problems are very rare on those motors,Bosch are very good at sorting problems.
I have heard pedelec members recommending buying only German bikes,specifically identifying quality/reliability over Chinese bikes.
But I must say that I have very few motor problems with the Bafang Chinese motor fitted to most of the Kudos bikes,the BPM motor seems particularly reliable with strong low speed torque.
The point I am making is that customers should pay particular note of the motor type fitted to the bike,whether it be German or Chinese.
I notice that Freego are now offering bikes fitted with the Bafang Max Drive crank drive,it will be interesting looking at the reliability of that motor,it's spec and power looks very good. Kudos may look at using that motor in a bike in the future,what stops me is I am so pleased with the performance of the Bafang BPM motor and its price is very attractive.
KudosDave

• Informative
Reactions: oriteroom and IR772

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
You guys pay a premium for German/Austrian bikes,I am respectful of that I sell KTM from Austria,usually fitted with Bosch or Panasonic motors,warranty problems are very rare on those motors,Bosch are very good at sorting problems.
I have heard pedelec members recommending buying only German bikes,specifically identifying quality/reliability over Chinese bikes.
But I must say that I have very few motor problems with the Bafang Chinese motor fitted to most of the Kudos bikes,the BPM motor seems particularly reliable with strong low speed torque.
The point I am making is that customers should pay particular note of the motor type fitted to the bike,whether it be German or Chinese.
I notice that Freego are now offering bikes fitted with the Bafang Max Drive crank drive,it will be interesting looking at the reliability of that motor,it's spec and power looks very good. Kudos may look at using that motor in a bike in the future,what stops me is I am so pleased with the performance of the Bafang BPM motor and its price is very attractive.
KudosDave
Thanks for the info. A lot of folk here have had positive things to say about the reliability of the Bosch motors, so if I were to buy another electric bicycle it would probably be with one of those.

I like the design of the new Kalkhoffs with the battery integrated into the frame, but would be very hesitant about buying one after all this silliness with the Impulse 2 motor.

My purchase was actually on the 50Cycles sales pitch that Kaklhoffs hardly ever break down. Oh, how wide of the mark that was...

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
Hi All,

I hope you are all enjoying the great cycling weather.

In light of this situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted.

This is unheard of in any motor or cycle industry warranty guidelines and we feel it shows that Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system.

If you do experience a motor problem please contact Joe directly on after-sales@50cycles.com

Best regards

50cycles Team

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Hi All,

In light of this situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted.

This is unheard of in any motor or cycle industry warranty guidelines and we feel it shows that Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system.

If you do experience a motor problem please contact Joe directly on after-sales@50cycles.com

Best regards

50cycles Team
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. The news on the '2 year from replacement' is very reassuring, thank you.

I'm still a bit disappointed that there hasn't been more of a detailed response, and more openness from Derby Cycles/Kalkhoff on the issue, particularly given that it has been going on for a long time. If we knew more about it, as well as what they are doing about it (I mean from a technical point of view), I think that would help to keep customers on side.

My own new motor is going ok so far, although I have had a few little niggles with regards to when I stop pedalling. Also, the replacement has some exposed cables underneath which I am a little bit concerned about. You replaced the motor very quickly, though, which was a good response.

• Agree
Reactions: Oscdav

Mr MSJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Well 50cycles, I wonder, is it every time 2y warranty extends from the date a new motor is fitted?

"...Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system." - Umm, for two years... Two years and one month after..- have nice bill of £100's.
Well, 50 Cycles, it has happened to me.., even though most of the time I couldn't ride the bike due to my rheumatoid arthritis flare-ups. Bike was used on the average 2 mile trips on the mostly flat Wembley landscape... your answer was " you're well outside your warranty..." 2y 1month = two motors replaced. Last faulty motor you left it with me. And the bill came through the door for the new motor with a two year warranty..
Lucky me? Nice service? "Confidently reliable" motor system?

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Well 50cycles, I wonder, is it every time 2y warranty extends from the date a new motor is fitted?

"...Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system." - Umm, for two years... Two years and one month after..- have nice bill of £100's.
Well, 50 Cycles, it has happened to me.., even though most of the time I couldn't ride the bike due to my rheumatoid arthritis flare-ups. Bike was used on the average 2 mile trips on the mostly flat Wembley landscape... your answer was " you're well outside your warranty..." 2y 1month = two motors replaced. Last faulty motor you left it with me. And the bill came through the door for the new motor with a two year warranty..
I think generally the motors are failing within a few thousand miles, which most won't take anything like 2 years to reach.

For me this is reassuring because I do quite a high mileage...

Still, a better solution would be a more reliable motor as a replacement but I doubt 50 Cycles could twist their arm that much.

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
I have forwarded my e-mail to 50 Cycles at the email address shown (which isn't one of the two I have) and await a response.

John

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ah but you might get some trolls if it's open.

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
Need to mention that 50 Cycles have tried to call me a couple of times this morning but I'd missed them on my mobile.

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia

Hi All,

In light of this situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted. Every time the motor does not last 2 years from the date the replacement was fitted.

Best regards

50cycles Team

Status
Not open for further replies.