Claud butler glide 1

Martin Holmes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2020
Why does my Claud butler glide 1 keep cutting out, I pedal to start off, the power kicks in and within 5 seconds I lose power, I have to stop reset on/off switch and repeat again with same result. The bike has not been used for a long time but the battery has been kept charged up. Does anyone have any suggestions please especially on how to discharge the battery without having to keep doing what I'm doing now. I understand that the battery cells could be out of balance.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Why does my Claud butler glide 1 keep cutting out, I pedal to start off, the power kicks in and within 5 seconds I lose power, I have to stop reset on/off switch and repeat again with same result. The bike has not been used for a long time but the battery has been kept charged up. Does anyone have any suggestions please especially on how to discharge the battery without having to keep doing what I'm doing now. I understand that the battery cells could be out of balance.
Have you checked the actual battery voltage with a meter? That may give a good (bad?) indication of what is happening.
My guess is that its most likely to be fully discharged, and its now below the level that the charger is allowed to recharge.
(I assume that you attach the charger and it shows green. But green has many different reasons to be shown, not just fully charged! Also fully discharged!)
Its an easy point to check up on first!
Write the value you read, and the nominal battery voltage here, and we all here will endeavour to help further.
Did you leave the charger attached with mains on, for a long period, if yes, that is what has caused the possible damage that I am thinking off.
Leaving it attached even with the mains off, depending upon the charger internal design, can also be a bad choice too.....
Leaving the charger ON for long periods is VERY can be very detrimental to the battery.
Let us all hope that my ideas are not de facto....
Andy

Martin Holmes

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you for your help, the battery reads 27volts, as the bike is new to me I believe the battery has been on charge for long periods of time. Is there anyone that I could speak to rather than type about this problem?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery is 24v nominal so 27v equates to 3.85v ish per cell group which there are seven 7 x 3.85 = 27, if all seven cell groups are equal then your battery is balanced. If one cell group is unbalanced and much lower then the others it will likely cause the issue you are having. A well balanced fully charged 24v battery will be 29.05 - 29.4v so you need to see if it will fully charge.
If the battery at 27v refuses to charge then the scenario is you have a very unbalanced battery with at least one low cell group below 3v - 3.1v, if so the BMS will not allow charging until it is recitfied.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Martin Holmes

Apr 8, 2020
The battery is 24v nominal so 27v equates to 3.85v ish per cell group which there are seven 7 x 3.85 = 27, if all seven cell groups are equal then your battery is balanced. If one cell group is unbalanced and much lower then the others it will likely cause the issue you are having. A well balanced fully charged 24v battery will be 29.05 - 29.4v so you need to see if it will fully charge.
If the battery at 27v refuses to charge then the scenario is you have a very unbalanced battery with at least one low cell group below 3v - 3.1v, if so the BMS will not allow charging until it is recitfied.
Thank you Neilh I will get an electrician at work to check it properly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not a personal dig but why do a lot of forum members spell my name incorrectly ?
My name is spelt with an 'a' and not an 'i' .

Quite often the 'a' is omitted and 'i' is inserted or a few add a ' t' between the 'l' & 'h'.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thank you for your help, the battery reads 27volts, as the bike is new to me I believe the battery has been on charge for long periods of time. Is there anyone that I could speak to rather than type about this problem?
Deleted.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Perfect.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thank you Neilh I will get an electrician at work to check it properly.
I do not want to be rude, but a normal electrician, simply put, may not be the best person for the job, as unless he is also an e-biker with Li-ion battery knowledge, believe it or not, he will not have the necessary know-How.
Furthermore, these bike batteries in the wrong hands can act like an incendiary device.
Here is someone who did something wrong:-
regards
Andy

Martin Holmes

Apr 8, 2020
Thanks everyone for your comments and help but I think I'll take it to a bike shop to be safe rather than sorry. Apologies Neal for the misspelling of your name.
Regards
Martin

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks everyone for your comments and help but I think I'll take it to a bike shop to be safe rather than sorry. Apologies Neal for the misspelling of your name.
Regards
Martin
I won't be surprised if the answer you get is we can't repair batteries and you need a new one. In the most part it will be too time consuming and costly for them to diagnose and then will be unable to repair before presenting you with a bill for a battery no better off.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Can anyone here recommend a serious Battery business who re-cell batteries, with high quality cells (Panasonic for example) at a reasonable price for him? Possibly close to where he lives, and with a good guarantee....
As I feel that his present battery is now probably mostly junk, only a clever hobbyist might retrieve something out of it (don't ask me what or who, as I have no idea at all!.) I myself would get it re-celled.
Anyone here think differently?
Regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We don't know the location so no one can advise on a re - celler ?
As for Panasonic they are a good manufacturer but there are better cells to use, the LG 10a cells are very good and looks like the new Samsung 50E is going to be a great cell.

Martin Holmes

Apr 8, 2020
Hi all, thank you all for being so helpful. I live near Wellington in Somerset if anyone knows of anyone near there that can help with my battery.