Clix dropouts

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
If a fork on a bike has 'Clix dropouts' will there be any issues with fitting a motor? It looks like clix is some fancy quick release mechanism for a hub but I'm not sure what the significance is to the dropouts. Presumably the dropouts will still be standard 10mm?

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
You shouldn’t have a problem with ‘Clix dropouts’ specifically. As you say Pedalo, Clix is just a fancy quick release mechanism.
Often with quick release systems the forks have slight recesses for the QR ends. You may need to use ‘C washers’ that can seat in the indent at the fork end ‘lawyer lips’, to achieve a flat surface for the anti-torque tab washers and hub nuts to seat snugly.
Possibly have a look at torque arms as an option, if you are putting the hub in a front fork, especially if they are ally. With a standard 250W hub, torque arms may not strictly be necessary. But I fitted one on my front forks to stop any chance of the hub spinning out. I don't think forks are designed to have torque applied in the way, even a 250W hub can turn.
Most dropouts are 10mm, and hub motor spindles 12 mm. However, the hub motor spindles are flattened to 10mm on the sides, so will fit into the dropout. You may have to increase the depth of the dropout slots with a file, depending on your particular forks.

Chris

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Uh oh, looking at the photo on this website implies the forks are shaped specifically to accept the Clix system.

CLIX Technology

Main reason I was asking is that I wanted to asses the suitability of a new Trek 7.3fx (which I see has clix dropouts) for fitting a motor. Might need to think again...