Cmacewheel GW20 P.A.S. Problem

brian78

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 26, 2023
Ok done that.

Signal wire is blue

And it spun up when I touched the black wire

Do I need to swap around wires on the pas sensor??

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok done that.

Signal wire is blue

And it spun up when I touched the black wire

Do I need to swap around wires on the pas sensor??
Red has to go to red, black to black and signal to signal. You said that it worked occasionally in its present state. That would be impossible if the connection sequence was wrong. That leaves the possibility that there's a compatibility issue or it's not working.

You can test whether it's working by using a meter to measure the voltage between the signal and the black wire while you turn the pedals very slowly. You should see 5v switching on and off 12 times for each rotation. test while connected and switched on by stuffing your probes up the back of the connector on either side, or, better still, on both sides to be sure.

brian78

Aug 26, 2023
I accidentally bought 2 new pas sensors for the bike

The original (came on the bike) was
Black, red and brown

The two new sensors are
Black,red and green

When the pas sensor is plugged together. That means the signal wire is green (from the sensor) going into blue (blue being the wire from the plug going into the controller)

So the wheel started spinning when I tapped the paper clips together

One clip in black and the other clip in blue.

I tried fitting the original and the two new pas sensors . Turned the pedals and still nothing happened. The wheel never turned. No pedal assist kicked in at all.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I accidentally bought 2 new pas sensors for the bike

The original (came on the bike) was
Black, red and brown

The two new sensors are
Black,red and green

When the pas sensor is plugged together. That means the signal wire is green (from the sensor) going into blue (blue being the wire from the plug going into the controller)

So the wheel started spinning when I tapped the paper clips together

One clip in black and the other clip in blue.

I tried fitting the original and the two new pas sensors . Turned the pedals and still nothing happened. The wheel never turned. No pedal assist kicked in at all.
You test to find where the problem is. don't start guessing. Do the test in my last post.

brian78

Aug 26, 2023
Connect the meter to the pas sensor plug? Yes?

If I DON'T see a voltage reading of 5volts then, that would mean a fault with the sensor. Or not compatible? Would I be right

brian78

Aug 26, 2023
While connected, check that you have 5v between red abd black.
I was away for a while for work again. But a brief review so far.

Pedal assist some times will work. (When it decides)

I checked everything with a multi meter. And everything is working and checks out ok. I'm getting 5volts at my pas connection with the control unit.

But now, sometimes when I switch the bike on it instantly sends power to the wheel and the bike shoots off uncontrollably down the road by itself.

Understandably this is incredibly worrying and down right dangerous

Any thoughts?????

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I was away for a while for work again. But a brief review so far.

Pedal assist some times will work. (When it decides)

I checked everything with a multi meter. And everything is working and checks out ok. I'm getting 5volts at my pas connection with the control unit.

But now, sometimes when I switch the bike on it instantly sends power to the wheel and the bike shoots off uncontrollably down the road by itself.

Understandably this is incredibly worrying and down right dangerous

Any thoughts?????
The only way the bike will go by itself without the pedals turning is when there's a short between the 5v and throttle signal wire, though it can also happen when the 5v is shorted to the PAS signal wire on some controllers. It sounds like water in the throttle, which would be logical if you've been riding in the rain, but not if you haven't.

Apart from that, if PAS is intermittent, it's probably slipping on the spindle.

brian78

Aug 26, 2023
The only way the bike will go by itself without the pedals turning is when there's a short between the 5v and throttle signal wire, though it can also happen when the 5v is shorted to the PAS signal wire on some controllers. It sounds like water in the throttle, which would be logical if you've been riding in the rain, but not if you haven't.

brian78

Aug 26, 2023

I have indeed been out in the rain. I live in ireland and we're famous for it .

I'll strip the throttle down, clean and dry. And I'll check for any insulation wear on the rest.

Nothing is unearthed to the frame so. If there is a short. Where would the likely culprit places be?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Nothing is unearthed to the frame so. If there is a short. Where would the likely culprit places be?
Chain jumped off and cut the wire to the pedal sensor. If it's the throttle, water is always a problem. the cable can get cuts where it goes into or out of the frame or anywhere where it can rub due to steering.