Coast to Coast

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I will be "attempting" the coast to coast from Whitehaven to Sunderland this Weekend/Early next Week, i say attempting because I have every confidence my Bike will make the journey, my "dodgy" knees are the fly in the ointment. My "other half" is doing it on a "Unaspirated" standard hybrid (she is Eight years younger than me, a half-marathon/ marathon runner with two excellent knees) I have loaded her (the bike) with panniers and bags etc, she was heavy before she is bloody heavy now!!.
I will post some pics on here and maybe do a report on how it goes, presuming it all goes to plan and we make it back to sunny North Staffordshire sometime late next Week
The reason for this post is to point out that this time last year i could only make it to the local papershop. every time I go out on the Bike I realise what a fantastic purchase this was. :)

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Good luck. I'd like to do that route myself, one day.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Done it a few times myself but never on an ebike. How many days are you doing it over, your battery will get hammered on some of those climbs? Take your time and enjoy the ride there certainly is some beautiful scenery on the way.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Thanks for the replies
We will be taking it steady over 4 days, so we should be OK
done a few 40 to 50 milers over the last few weeks to test bikes equipment and legs etc over slightly hilly terrain in the north staffs, nothing like we know is awaiting us,but i will get off and push if i have to. we might even take sun cream !!!!!!!!

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Don't t know if you have your accommodation booked but over 4 days I am guessing day 1 will just be a little draggy but will include a decent climb to Whinlatter probably with an overnight around Keswick. Day 2 should include Hartside Pass which is quite a long pull but not too steep. Day 3 depending on choice of route will have the most climbing, the section from Garrigill to Allenheads is beautiful but can be brutal particularly if warm, a lunch time top up charge is probably advisable at Nenthead. I doubt an ebike battery could take the climb out of Garrigill and the section to Allenheads without either a top up or significant manual input. If day 3 includes Garrigill, Allenheads and on to Rookhope then you will definitely need a recharge. Once the climb out of Rookhope either up the old carriage road or via Stanhope / Crawleyside bank is done on day 4 it is more or less all downhill to the coast.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Thanks for your advice Chris.
Yes accommodation is booked Threlkeld,Alston and Stanhope and I hope to find somewhere on Day 3 for lunch and a battery top-up. if not it's a long walk
:eek:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Alston is a better bet for battery life, you should be able to recharge in Allenheads ready for the final ascent of the day towards Rookhope. Enjoy the run down from Hartside to Alston, I have done over 50mph down there tailgating our support van!

• :D

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I would have bottled out at 39 mph, at 58 years old i don't want to bounce that hard :)
we have no support van,no tailgating and no plan b (apart from a very expensive taxi ride over to Sunderland where my car will be) hope lady luck can give me a break. looking forward to it and it really will test an ebike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your plan sounds doable, given that you are prepared to top-up during the day.

You might not have to on the easier days, assuming you don't need full assist all the time.

There are path options from Stanhope, but don't be tempted, some stretches are barely suitable for a mountain bike, let alone an ebike.

Dragging up the B6278 Crawleyside Bank is the only sensible option.

The nastiest bits are close to the start, around a sharp right and left hand bend.

If you manage those, you will get the rest of the job done.

What bike are you using?

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Thanks for your advice RobF which I have made a note of, my trusty steed is a 2016 Scott esub sports weighed down with a handle bar bag and a pair of Ortrlieb city panniers which i have packed ,unpacked divided into two and repacked :( Just hope my knackered old body can take it???

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice bike, well suited to the job.

If you have the 500wh battery, it will stand you in good stead.

Don't forget to add to the load by picking up a pebble from the beach in Whitehaven, which you ceremoniously chuck into the sea at Roker in Sunderland.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
The pebble picked up in Whitehaven and dropped off in Sunderland is a brilliant idea, RobF thanks
I will post when i get back with some pics, (or from the hospital if all goes t**s up.)

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The pebble picked up in Whitehaven and dropped off in Sunderland is a brilliant idea, RobF thanks
I will post when i get back with some pics, (or from the hospital if all goes t**s up.)
Don't do it. It's just a plot to make the east coast bigger at the expense of the west.:mad:

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Well we made it , absolutely brilliant experience we set off in a light drizzle, which soon cleared up then it was dull but overcast all the way to the other side of Keswick, all on eco mode. The next Day to Alston started off absolutely p***ing down for around 20 miles got into Penrith with just shy of half of my battery used so we called into "The Blue Rose" cafe where i charged it up just as a precaution to get me over Hartside pass into Stanhope, (I told the ladies i would give them a mention) next Day from Stanhope up the "sting in the tail" called crawleyside bank,was tough on my bike and my knees, but then it was all downhill into Sunderland forgot to apply suncream,and burned my face and knees Honest!!.
as a footnote while in roker sunderland I met another ebiker on a scott hardtail mtb,who had just completed and then another on a haibike came past us.
Bike performed faultlessly rode most of the journey on eco or tour mode except the steepest climbs which i put into sport, I didn't use turbo once so I am definitely getting fitter. all thanks to ebikes.

Attachments

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Well we made it , absolutely brilliant experience we set off in a light drizzle, which soon cleared up then it was dull but overcast all the way to the other side of Keswick, all on eco mode. The next Day to Alston started off absolutely p***ing down for around 20 miles got into Penrith with just shy of half of my battery used so we called into "The Blue Rose" cafe where i charged it up just as a precaution to get me over Hartside pass into Stanhope, (I told the ladies i would give them a mention) next Day from Stanhope up the "sting in the tail" called crawleyside bank,was tough on my bike and my knees, but then it was all downhill into Sunderland forgot to apply suncream,and burned my face and knees Honest!!.
as a footnote while in roker sunderland I met another ebiker on a scott hardtail mtb,who had just completed and then another on a haibike came past us.
Bike performed faultlessly rode most of the journey on eco or tour mode except the steepest climbs which i put into sport, I didn't use turbo once so I am definitely getting fitter. all thanks to ebikes.
That's brilliant, what sort of mileage would that be?

• Useful

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Approx 140 miles over 4 days very steady pace for an old man :) could have easily done it in 3 days, but the plan was to go at an easy pace, stop frequently to soak up the views and the sunny July weather which apart from the weather was exactly what we did, coffee and cream cakes for lunch were the order of the day, followed by beef and ale pie and chips in the evening, or a good steak...consequently i finished the ride the same weight as i started it