Comfort handlebar mod

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I've been thinking of fitting touring handlebars for some time to allow a bit of variation with my riding position.

Butterfly bars look ideal but I wanted something that would allow me to keep my Ergon grips and bar ends.

This is what I came up with. They're large bar ends which I've fitted the other way round. To fit them I had to carefully buff off the lip that stops them pushing on to the handlebars and it was a bit of a squeeze fitting everything on the handlebar
They clamp with a ball joint so are very adjustable.

It was a lovely day today so I gave them a good ride out.

It's so nice to be able to sit upright and take in the views.........think I'm going to like them :)

Last edited:

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I've been thinking of fitting touring handlebars for some time to allow a bit of variation with my riding position.

It's so nice to be able to sit upright a take in the views.........think I'm going to like them :)
Good picture with a Great bike, (with nice Panasonic motor), in a superb setting. What's the background to your shot. Here's my contribution, shows my ProConnect S with Mrs 'O' ProConnect step thru' on Sandbanks Promenade in Poole. I also really love the Ergon grios and bar ends. Unlike some later Kalkhoffs, they really did fit quality items to the earlier ProConnects. I found recently that similar Ergon bar rnds retail around £70 odd .image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Great bikes Mike, though I am a bit biased ;)

My picture is from the hills behind my home town of Greenock, near Glasgow.

It's the river Clyde in the background and you can just make out the cranes in the Greenock dock which is a very popular stop for cruise ships during the warmer months.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Good idea there. How do you like now after a while?

I have been adjusting my butterfly bar many ways but I don't like it too much, first year I thought it was awesome but I've come to dislike the zero degree part (the ends). It would be some angle there I think. Last try was the "mad bull" position like in the photo below, turned "wrong way", but it was quite ok, agressive position drop.

So, I bought two new bars to try and find something better.

A bullhorn bar (Bombtrack Pursuit).

The Jones H-bar (Loop).

My old bars are the other ones on the photo (BBB Multibar and a std MTB bar).

Unfortunately the bullhorn was road sized, just a little wider diameter than mtb-bars, so nothing fitted there :( so I will return that one. Instead I have now installed the H-Bar, it feels great, same long stem as I had on the Multibar. You can fit a ridicilously amount of gadgets on the H-bar, and also great room for a handlebar bag underneath! But the drop when you hold on the front is not so much, if I have it adjusted like this so the back grip is in a comfort position, the angle is important. But anyway, the grip with angle both back/down is very comfy.

Handling the Handlebars
by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Kenny and IR772

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Great bikes Mike, though I am a bit biased ;)

My picture is from the hills behind my home town of Greenock, near Glasgow.

It's the river Clyde in the background and you can just make out the cranes in the Greenock dock which is a very popular stop for cruise ships during the warmer months.
Up by the end of the cut?
I wus born in wren road. then Inverkip and school in spango valley GHS.

Reactions: Kenny

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Sambal,

My reason for the high bars was to allow a different riding position when cycling long distance. Unfortunately I've not been riding many long runs to get the benefit of having two riding positions.

The main drawback for me is that when the seat is positioned for the main handlebar, it doesn't feel quite right when sitting upright using the high bars.

I'll maybe experiment with it some more when the weather gets warmer in the spring.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Hi Sambal,

My reason for the high bars was to allow a different riding position when cycling long distance. Unfortunately I've not been riding many long runs to get the benefit of having two riding positions.

The main drawback for me is that when the seat is positioned for the main handlebar, it doesn't feel quite right when sitting upright using the high bars.

I'll maybe experiment with it some more when the weather gets warmer in the spring.
Yes. I know what you mean the more upright position needs a little more upright saddle also. So it's not perfect in both positions.

I have done a compromise, it's good in comfort position but in the sport position I have to sit a little longer back on the saddle to make it feel good. That works kind of ok I think.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenny

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been playing with my bars, lifted them again and...? 20 km/h instead of 23 km/h, cost me 3 km/h! :eek:

I'll wait for my trike to get back up to speed :D

• :D
Reactions: Deere John