Comfort V Weight penalty

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
In the process of making my steed the Woosh Faro as lightweight as possible. At the moment am running like a gravel type bike ie no mudguards no back rack no kick stand 700c x 35c tyres with lightweight tubes. Replaced pedals with carbon ones and have on order all carbon saddle and low riser handlebar. Now the question is the Faro has a suspension seat post which is quite a weight penalty but it’s quite comfortable and I’m considering a suspension stem for comfort but know this will also be a weighty option. What are experienced cycling fraternity thoughts, comfort over weight, especially seat post and stem suspension.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
In the process of making my steed the Woosh Faro as lightweight as possible. At the moment am running like a gravel type bike ie no mudguards no back rack no kick stand 700c x 35c tyres with lightweight tubes. Replaced pedals with carbon ones and have on order all carbon saddle and low riser handlebar. Now the question is the Faro has a suspension seat post which is quite a weight penalty but it’s quite comfortable and I’m considering a suspension stem for comfort but know this will also be a weighty option. What are experienced cycling fraternity thoughts, comfort over weight, especially seat post and stem suspension.
I used to think of things like mudguards as just dead weight, but they do play an important role in keeping a lot of crap off of the mechanicals (and your face and backside!). I also like having a kickstand, all too often a bike leant against something will fall over and get damaged. Once my derailleur hanger got bent from falling over like this. Then later on the hanger snapped while riding and the derailleur and chain got jammed between the wheel and the frame, damaging the frame...so for want of a nail... ;)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't see the point of going lightweight if it's so uncomfortable it inhibits you from riding or using the bike.
It's an e-bike - they're heavy but you'll still get up that hill easier than a roady.

Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My gravel bike is my dry weather bike and I mount as little as I can on it to keep light. Even the e kit is only 2.2kg and the bike has no suspension barring the 42c TL wheel set and the rider who anticipates the road surface and uses his weight accordingly.
As denoted this is a gravel bike so it is off road use as much as possible.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Nobody in the Tour de France uses a suspension seat-post and they're in the saddle all day.

You can save quite a bit of weight by changing the crank-set and bottom bracket to a hollowtech type, then the rear cassette. Plenty of used ones on Ebay.

Reactions: flecc

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Thanks for reply’s bike is for training/pleasure so rainy weather and muddy routes avoided, mostly. Seat post change to carbon fibre in the near future. Handle bar stem suspension gimmick or indispensable, will probably go carbon again when the coffers recover. Interesting the crank set I may consider slightly larger possibly 46t again also a lighter set. Cheers.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for reply’s bike is for training/pleasure so rainy weather and muddy routes avoided, mostly. Seat post change to carbon fibre in the near future. Handle bar stem suspension gimmick or indispensable, will probably go carbon again when the coffers recover. Interesting the crank set I may consider slightly larger possibly 46t again also a lighter set. Cheers.
Consider a road bike crankset, which are normally the lightest.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

NoSleep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
Hi @Atlav4 - been reading your comments on the Faro with interest. The low weight is certianly appealing on this bike

How are you finding the 8ah? Still happy? Ever any wishes youd taken the larger heavier battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A fit good rider shouldn't need a heavy larger battery, all part of the idea of a lighter bike.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Nobody in the Tour de France uses a suspension seat-post and they're in the saddle all day.
People in the TdF are REALLY weird shapes - thighs the width of their chests, and so on. I wouldn't be suprised if their arses were also weird.
Just saying. :eek:

However, having just added a Suntour suspension post, I'd say you could easily live without one. They're OK, but not a necessity. If you can spot the hole coming, then lift... and sit again. Easy.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
People in the TdF are REALLY weird shapes - thighs the width of their chests, and so on. I wouldn't be suprised if their arses were also weird.
Just saying. :eek:

However, having just added a Suntour suspension post, I'd say you could easily live without one. They're OK, but you can spot the hole and lift... and sit again.
I think a lot comes down to tyre width and inflation level too.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Love the smoothness of the Faro and with the 35c tyres it’s almost the perfect do it all, only one you’ll ever need bike. 99% of my rides are between 18 and 25 miles and the 8ah battery is easily capable of achieving this on a variety of surfaces and terrain. The weight saving changes I’m converting are as much to do with aesthetics as the handling and performance. If I’d wanted to bimmble around all day or attempt epic journeys then the larger heavier battery would have been better, and the option in wetter weather to switch back to 28c and mudguards is always there.

Reactions: NoSleep

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Anyone fitted the redshift shockstop suspension stem or the tranzx type suspension stem, wondering how these perform in the real world. Have read some reviews but one never knows how independent these assessments are.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Weight considerations aside, if comfort is a priority, the Marathon Supreme is an excellent tyre. It rolls easily and is very compliant. I have a set of 35mm on my Specialized Tricross Sport and they are very good.

Reactions: Atlav4