Commuter bike ideas

Gary_Taylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2019
Hi All
I'm after some commuter ebike ideas please, as a complete novice to this area of cycling.
My details are as follows:
5ft 4in, 60kgs, fairly fit and experienced cyclist.
Commute is all road fairly hilly 30mile round trip, which I've done many times on my conventional bike, but a shower is necessary afterwards.
Not really interested in suspension, or folding options. Far more interested in weight of bike (in case of riding unassisted, getting it in and out of car etc).
Lights and mudguards included would be great.
Budget up to £1500 absolute max (with a cyclescheme).

Would also consider converting a touring bike I already own (based on a Dawes Horizon) but a bit nervous of the technical stuff, for example I've read that combined gear and brake levers are an issue (it has those fitted). Can upload pics if it would help

Any recommendations gratefully received...

Gary

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
combined gear and brake levers are an issue
that can be sorted with inline brake sensor like this one I converted last week:

You will always spend less with a conversion, even paying someone else to do the work for you.
Crank drive kits are easiest to fit, if you can remove the bottom bracket, you are half way there.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's interesting,
What are the advantages of crank drive, over say rear hub?
keeping the centre of gravity at low and near the bottom bracket, better weight distribution, better maneuverability.
The downside is you have to select the right gear all the time with CD and keep your cadence medium to high.
Hub kits let you choose any cadence, any gear you like.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The combo lever can also be sorted with what are often called hydraulic brake sensors, eg
(£23, but 'Full details link' goes to a page that says £16). Very easy to fit.

I don't know the pros and cons of these and the inline brake sensors Woosh mentioned; I'm sure Woosh had good reason to mention the inline sensors rather than the others.

We have been extremely happy with our Woosh kit. Getting the kit means you don't have to worry too much about the technical stuff as it should all work together. Buy from Woosh and one of the team will give advice both on the best thing to buy, and after the sale on any detailed queries on fitting etc etc.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can now choose the inline brake sensors instead of brake levers with the Woosh hub kits.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I am very impressed with my Ortler Wien 7-speed. It has a Bosch drive and would just about do your 30-mile round trip, given your weight and fitness. There's an ongoing review thread I update from time to time

Reactions: Gary_Taylor

Gary_Taylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2019
Just to update my thread, I opted for a Yose Power 350W/36v kit & 15Ah Hailong battery from ebay for a total cost of £342.
Now fitted to my touring bike and initial test rides are very promising, definitely pleased with results on such a small budget. So much so, I can't wait to go to work on Monday...Ridiculous!32337

Reactions: E-Wheels