commuting and grocery runs

Krow

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2007
Seattle, WA
So, this was my first full week of riding the Giant Twist/Lite. I managed to commute to work twice using a combination of bike and bus. We're fortunate here in Seattle that all buses have bike racks installed on the front so it's easy to make a route that mixes the two. And, my company offers free bus passes. It helps a lot since there's a two mile body of water between my house and my office.

The simple commute is six miles on bike and the rest on the bus. We had an especially nice day on Thursday, so I experimented with riding more and bussing less. Total one-way on bike was 15 miles over some big hills, but the Lite/Twist just made it with one bar of power left. I think I'll be able to take 2 miles off that route when I don't get lost on the way. I'd brought my charger with me, so I had a full charge leaving the office. I also skipped out at lunch to meet my wife. So the total distance for the day was 27 miles (with a charge in the middle). I think I might have done 27 miles total over the last 4 years on my previous non-electric bikes!! I'm definitely a lot more willing to get out there and try with the electric back-up.

As I said in an earlier post, my total commute time is about even with taking my car. The bus takes the HOV lane and skips around so much traffic. I was in my car in the middle of the week and grinding my teeth as i watched those buses sailing past me.

I'm not the fastest cyclist on my route. I'm still getting passed regularly by the lycra wearing crowd, but I swallow my pride and think about that tortoise and the hare thing.

Today, I mounted a connector for a new cargo trailer from BicycleR Evolution. It works great and I highly recommend it. I rode up to the grocery store and came back with 40 lbs of groceries with no problem.

Commuting 2-3 times a week, grocery shopping, taking my son to school and baseball practice. I think my bio-diesel car is going to start getting jealous...

cheers,

keith.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Krow bicycle racks on buses free bus passes, all we ever see on our tv news is bad press about how uninterested you guys are about saving the environment, its nice to see you are ahead of us.:eek:
those that pass you tell me are they working just slightly harder than you.:cool:
mike

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
So, this was my first full week of riding the Giant Twist/Lite. I managed to commute to work twice using a combination of bike and bus. We're fortunate here in Seattle that all buses have bike racks installed on the front so it's easy to make a route that mixes the two. And, my company offers free bus passes. It helps a lot since there's a two mile body of water between my house and my office.
Remarkable busses you've got there, unless they're water busses that is ;)

Today, I mounted a connector for a new cargo trailer from BicycleR Evolution. It works great and I highly recommend it. I rode up to the grocery store and came back with 40 lbs of groceries with no problem.
I dont have a trailer but the version of Twist sold here in the UK comes with a handy rack capable of being loaded up to 25 kg. I often clip on my Ortleib Bike Packer Plus pannier bags to haul my shopping home. It gets up hills with such loads with no problems (and I'm over 100 kgs myself). Altogether a very robust bike and it's easy to see why the original Twist did so well with reviews.

Krow

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2007
Seattle, WA
Remarkable busses you've got there, unless they're water busses that is ;)
Sorry, I should have been clearer on that one. There's a floating bridge that spans Lake Washington. There are actually two such bridges, but the one I need to take doesn't have a bike path :-(

Seattle does have water busses, but they're just for the tourists.

those that pass you tell me are they working just slightly harder than you. :cool:
Yes, they are but I'm showing up at work a lot nicer smelling :p

keith.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi krow
sounds like your becoming a true electric biker:D well done:) and also dont forget if you want extra distance you can add a second battery forum member grandad is in the process so things are looking hunky dory as they used to say.:D NIGEL

Minnesota

Finding my (electric) wheels
Keith,

Great to hear that you are having a blast with your Twist. I think Minneapolis and Seattle have some similarities. Between our bike paths and the racks on our city buses, a person can make it from many places in the Twin Cities without using a car. I am looking forward to the weather changing soon and getting back out there.

I did take my Twist in last week to the local bike shop. They told me that I should request a new wheel rather than have the current one fixed. They are not sure if the wheel will stay aligned once fixed because of the damage in shipping. I am still waiting for NYCE to get back to me regarding the rear wheel and cracked battery. If NYCE isn't willing to take care of me, than I will just have the local bike shop fix it and hope it stays aligned.

I will keep you all informed regarding NYCE.

Neil