Compact, short range, quality commuter bike?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Mezzo 's are great bikes. Ride is better than the Brompton. However the Brompton fold is simpler, the folding technique on the Mezzo takes some getting used to.

Reactions: JamesW

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Mezzo 's are great bikes. Ride is better than the Brompton. However the Brompton fold is simpler, the folding technique on the Mezzo takes some getting used to.
The folding technique on any bike takes some getting used to if you have never folded a bike before!! - It's just a matter of what you are used to!

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
True but I thinik most would agree Mezzo takes a bit more getting used to.

Reactions: JamesW

mnemonix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2012
Thanks James, I'm still considering the options and hadn't come across the Mezzo so will certainly look in to it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Brompton is fine until you want to carry stuff, then you either have a bag slung off your back of the handlebars, neither of which makes for a stable bike as the centre of gravity has moved away from the designed area, this is why Mezzo is better!
A Brompton with a front mounted Brommie bag - with some weight in it - is more stable because the weight damps the steering, which can be twitchy.

Reactions: superDove

mnemonix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2012
So I had an opportunity to borrow a regular Brompton this weekend and whilst loving it on its own terms, I'm reassessing the suitability of such small bikes for my commute. I do live in Central London, where I'm sure it's just fine, but most of my cycle route is in Watford after I get off the train. Here the busy roads, some dual carriageway were, frankly, scary on the Brompton as cars, lorries and buses passed at speed and the Brompton's light weight and nimble agility manifested itself as wobbling and instability.

First question, how would a non-folding 20" wheel bike like the Sahel Compact compare with a 16" Brommie?

Alternatively... My train ride is usually on a mainline route (Southern) for which there is no official restriction on bikes because I travel against the prevailing commuter direction. Occasionally I have to resort to the TFL Overground service. Can anyone give me their experience of taking full size bikes or electrics on busy trains? Passenger and staff attitudes at the gates and onboard? The practicalities?

If a full size bike is practical I'll reconsider my choices since it need be less of a compromise. A Dutch style appeals, possibly even a crank drive, though the Ansmann City Wave 26 seems like a good bike and good value but these are choices best discussed in a new thread perhaps.

Thanks again!

Chris.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Chris,

The Ansmann bikes are indeed good value, incidentally, the wave frame bikes are available with 26" and 28" wheels.

The FC5 Compact is indeed just that, compact and a 20" folder with low stepthru frame, but not in the Brompton league when it comes to transporting on public transport, more sited to people who limited space or want to take a bike in a car, motorhome or caravan.

Ansmann FC5 Compact
E-Bike_Foldy.jpg

E-Bike_Business_02.jpeg

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Full sized bikes on the train at rush hour can be a pain. I have electrified my full sized and kept my folding to pedal only. (allows me to cycle to full 20miles to work if I want - definitely not an option over that terrain and on those roads on a 16" wheels!) the problems occur like this:

1) Lots of people at rush hour only go a few stops and so cannot be bothered to take a seat, this means they stand in the vestibules near the door. This is precisely where you need to put your bike.
More than a few times trains have been cancelled resulting in a build up of people on the train and not moving down the train. There has been enough room for me to fit on, but as they have not moved down the carriage I have been waiting at the station for over an hour and let at least 2 trains go through before I find 1 I can get on!

This can also be an issue with larger folders too, smaller folders allow you to just swing them onto the train and people soon move their shins (I'm nasty sometimes, but if they will insist on standing by the door when there are 20 free seats....)

2) If you commute on the train and it has a serious issue and the whole line is down. When rail replacement bus services are laid on, they will take folding bikes, but NEVER full sized bikes so you need to ensure that in this scenario you have a plan B!

James

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Sahel is a lot more stable and comfortable to ride at high speed than the Brompton, The only thing find for the Brompton is that it folds small enough to take it with you going on airplanes.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
I live just north of London and commute in 3 days a week. Any bike is a pain on the train when it's busy. Have decided not to electrify my Brompton as I'd prefer not to have the weight. It will even develop velorexia when I get some spare cash and can afford some ti bling.
Will happily ride 20 miles (and do regularly) on the B. At 30 miles I'm getting irritable.
I looked at an ori bike a while ago which was like a carbon fibre mezzo. I preferred the Brompton luggage options (I can ride hands free with luggage but not without) and the seat didn't drop down far at all. I liked the weight of the ori a lot. You wouldn't need rolling wheels.
Dahon and terns look great on the Web and could fit BB kit but are too big for me to fit under a desk or brought inside shops so would have to be left outside.
Good luck with your search.
J

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Forgot to say that one of the reasons I decided to stick with the B is so I can get the occasional lift from family and get the bus as well. Having the option to cycle, tube, Train, bus or taxi I rarely struggle to get home. It also means I'm a fair weather cyclist and don't need to take full wet weather great just a shower proof top so I only use a 20 litre bag for food, laptop, work clothes.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
First question, how would a non-folding 20" wheel bike like the Sahel Compact compare with a 16" Brommie?
I'm beginning to lose track of your required spec, but I do have a Brompton Nano and a 20" wheel bike 'like the Sahel'.

I can understand you find Bromptons twitchy and prone to buffeting.

The extra weight of the 'e' bits would improve that.

However, a 20" bike would make a lot of difference.

My 20" AVE MH-7 is much more stable than my Brompton Nano.

The AVE feels more like a big wheel bike.

I've done 60-mile day rides on it, which I wouldn't fancy on the Brompton.

The AVE is a semi-folder, the front wheel spins 180 degrees to shorten the package and the handlebar flops down out of the way.

It would be possible to lift it onto a train, but only if you could cycle/push up to the door, and do the same at the other end.