Complete Beginner

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
No the handle bars do not have to have any relationship to seat height, when I rode a road bike the bars were lower than the seat on my Dutch style bike they are almost a foot above.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Also is riding efficiently on an electric bike that important? After all isn’t that the point of an electric bike, It’s efficient and helps you the rider get to point ‘B’?
Saddle height on an ebike is more of a comfort/pain issue than a pedalling efficiency one.

But I think comfort, pain and possible long term joint damage is at least as important, if not more so.

The default position should be: 'Get the job right', not: 'Near enough is good enough'.

Annied

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2013
Saddle height on an ebike is more of a comfort/pain issue than a pedalling efficiency one.

But I think comfort, pain and possible long term joint damage is at least as important, if not more so.

The default position should be: 'Get the job right', not: 'Near enough is good enough'.
Thanks everyone, it all makes a lot of sense and I'd definitely go along with Rob F!

I'm not too far off the correct saddle height and am making a point of mounting and dismounting correctly - this isn't difficult to remember as once again the advice here is spot on and it is actually the easiest way.

I suspect the need to have a vice like grip on the handlebars at all times is probably just me, but once I have the saddle in the right place I'll experiment a bit with the handlebars and see if there's a height that doesn't mean I end up having to prise my fingers off them after a ride of any length!