Complete newbie - Cyclotricity Revolver

crispyw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2014
I thought I’d post my experience in buying and riding my electric bike as I thought it might help others who are wading through all the information who might be in the same position.
Firstly – me - I’m nearly 47, I’m not a sportsperson, I don’t cycle as a hobby. I do have an old Raleigh Trail bike that gets used occasionally on fine days, and although I’m not particularly overweight (about 13.5 stone) I could probably do with losing a stone or so. I don’t have any health problems and I haven’t smoked for years but I’m not particularly fit and I’m quite lazy and certainly don’t enjoy exercise for its own sake. I used to cycle to work all the time in my twenties and early thirties in a different job so I’m not a complete cycling novice, but I’m very much not a bike obsessive, and just know how to do some basic maintenance. A bike for me is for getting from A to B, and maybe for a pleasant ride on a nice day.
Basically I was looking for something to help me get to work – I live in Cardiff, my office is about 5 miles away, but has 2 big hills in the way. If the journey to work was all on the flat I’d happily cycle in all the time (apart from in the rain!)
I have cycled in a couple of times but ended up having to get off and push at least twice, so the journey took about 35 - 40 minutes and there is only one shower in the building, making the whole journey more like an hour door to desk when it’s barely a fifteen minute drive. I had endless conversations with cycling friends who all said things like ‘but after a few weeks you’d be fit and sailing up those hills’ but even the fittest cyclists who commute to our office still need a shower – the last hill is really steep. I also often have to drop my kids off at school and pick them up so this makes it difficult to fit it all in.
I was also looking to reduce my fuel bill (about £40-45 per month commuting) and also get a bit of exercise into the bargain – but crucially - without needing a shower when I get to work.
So - I wanted something that ideally looked and felt like a normal bike, but would make going up hills and into headwinds feel more like going along the flat, and be able to do a 10-15 mile round trip without recharging.
Oh – and I wanted to buy via my employers cycle to work scheme to save money.
So – which bike?
In my village there are two cycle shops that sell electric bikes, so I test rode one and was convinced that an electric bike would definitely do the job as it smoothed out the hills and made it all very pleasant. In fact I was surprised at how much power you can get as I expected to have to do a lot more work. The model I test rode was the Lifecycle Mountain Sport – which was lovely, but I suspected was overpowered for my needs as you really didn’t need to pedal at all, and it would do up to 22 mph. I also talked to the other shop and they recommended a KTM Macina Cross – I didn’t get round to test riding it, but again, it looked a lovely machine.
However - both of these bikes were £1800 – which is out of my price range for the cycle to work scheme. I didn’t want to be spending that sort of money on something that, let’s face it, I might decide wasn’t for me after a few weeks or months.
Also – neither shop really listened to or understood my needs. One of them was very insistent that for hills I really needed a rear wheel drive, which I’ve seen refuted on several posts – maybe they were assuming I didn’t intend to do any pedalling at all?. The other kept talking about how great it was for off road mountain biking etc when I’d explained I wanted it for a simple commute.
I also emailed some local bike shops explaining what I was looking for and asking for advice and recommendations – but only got one or two replies which didn’t really answer my questions or give me much confidence in their knowledge or their approach to customer service. So I looked online.
The pedelec forum turned out to be the perfect place to get information – many thanks to all the community who post here- and so I waded through the arguments, reviews, opinions etc to try to get a feel for what I needed to be looking for, and what I needed to be avoiding. The arguments against cheaper models seemed to be based on past experience of lack of support, spares – especially replacement batteries etc, which may not apply to some contemporary cheaper models as the market has matured. Also I discovered that many models essentially use the same technology – a 250v hub motor, and so it is the battery that is crucial.

After a lot of research I decided between two low priced models in my price range that would suit my needs, and seemed to have happy customers with good experience of after sales service etc.
So eventually for me it was a toss up between Cycloctricity Revolver or Stealth and the Woosh Sirocco 2. Unfortunately, there are no local dealers for either of these near me in Cardiff, so I was unable to test them. In the end I chose Cyclotricity as the Cycle 2 Work scheme my employer uses isn’t accepted by Woosh (turns out there is more than one scheme… why?)
I went for the Revolver model as I couldn’t see any advantage for me of the disc brakes or the more hi tech LCD panel on the Stealth. (As I’ve said – I’m not a bike obsessive, and all the advice re: disc brakes seemed to be about stopping at high speed, in the rain, etc etc – I really don’t intend to cycle at high speeds, and I probably won’t be using it in the rain that often either. Also – I’m not really interested in the trip computer etc – I can work out how long it’s taken me to go five miles by looking at my watch). After the frustration of waiting for all the admin involved with the Cycle 2 work scheme to go through (I could write an essay about this on its own), I finally received my bike...

Reactions: Alan Quay

crispyw

Jun 3, 2014
Assembly
The bike came fully assembled apart from the pedals, battery holder assembly (required 2 hex keys) and mudguards. The handlebars were folded flat and to get the bike ready to ride took about ten minutes. I spent a little more time adjusting the gears and the brakes, but that was all quite easy once I’d had a quick look at the manual. To be honest, fitting the mudguards took me longer than setting the bike up. As I said, I’m not a cycle freak, so can’t comment on the quality of pedals, tyres, saddle, frame, gears etc – to me it looks like any other standard mountain bike, and seems well enough built for my purposes. As the motor is in the front wheel, replacing tyres, puncture repairs should be no harder than with any other bike.

Dashboard, battery etc
The LED dashboard has 5 modes:-
Assisted pedalling - low, medium and high
Throttle only
6kmh (a ‘walking mode’ for when you’re pushing it)
The battery itself also has 5 lights to indicate the remaining charge 4 green, and one red – the red one is to ensure that it is never fully discharged as apparently this can damage Li-On batteries.

The battery charger has a simple red and green indicator light - red = charging, green = charged

The battery is about the size of a large thermos flask and is obviously heavy, but can be lifted with one hand easily enough – you’d probably notice it more if you had to carry it around town though as although it locks to the frame, it would be a magnet for thieves as its over half the value of the bike.
Once I’d charged the battery for the initial 12 hours recommended, I was ready to go. My first test was a quick tootle round my local streets. Everything worked like a charm – as soon as you start pedalling you can feel the motor kick in, with more power as you go up the modes. Using the throttle only is great fun – but would obviously drain the battery quicker. It also feels slightly wrong on a pedal bike but I’ve found it useful to rest my legs for a 20 or 30 seconds on the flat after a hill climb to maintain speed. The bike is pleasant enough to ride with no power at all too – maybe a little heavier due to the battery, but very ride-able. There is a little motor noise – I don’t really have anything to compare it to, but it’s not that loud. More of a whirr than a whine - going up a hill you can hear the motor start to whine a little as it’s clearly putting a strain on it, but this acts as a useful signal to start pedalling more!.
First ride
As I bought the bike for smoothing out hills, I thought I’d try my first ‘proper’ ride up a rather steep one – Caerphilly Mountain – about a four mile ride from my house, all uphill. Amazingly, within about 20 minutes I was almost at the top – it still required some proper pedalling here and there on the really steep bits, but nothing compared to what I would have to do unassisted. This is a ride I would never have considered on a push bike and on a lovely warm May evening was a fantastic introduction to electric cycling. To give an idea – Google earth puts the time for cycling this route at 20 minutes – but this doesn’t take into account the hill, so in terms of it smoothing out hills - that’s a 10/10 score. I also got some strange looks from people as I cruised past their gardens uphill as I wasn’t really dressed for cycling – I was still in my work clothes.
First commute
My car ride to work usually takes about 15-20 minutes, and previously when I’ve cycled in the ride is about 35-40 minutes, and I’m exhausted, hot and sweaty with shaky legs and have had to get off and push a couple of times due to the final steep hill. On the electric bike the journey took just over 20 minutes – no pushing, and just a little effort on the steeper bits of hill. Without traffic lights and school crossings slowing me down I would have easily done it in 15 minutes. I arrived feeling as though maybe I’d ridden 5 miles on the flat, but wasn’t soaked in sweat, so just needed a change of shirt and I sat down at my desk feeling good. The journey home took about the same time. So in terms of what I bought it for – again I’d give it 10/10 – I’ll save money on fuel, the journey won’t eat into my working day and I’m still getting some exercise that I wouldn’t have had.
Battery conditioning / range
I know there is a huge debate around the need to condition Li-On Batteries, but Cyclotricity recommend discharging the battery fully 2 or 3 times and re-charging for 12 hours to condition it, so it seemed sensible to follow these instructions.
I took the bike out for another ride on the Saturday and did another 10 miles or so. By now the battery indicator lights on the dashboard were down to 2, and the charge indicator on the battery itself was down to 2 lights – which suggested it was still half charged. I rode around on the throttle (on the flat) for a mile or two to discharge the battery further, and eventually the throttle would start to cut out after a seconds, although the assisted pedalling was still working. The LED dashboard was showing 1 flashing light, but the battery itself was still showing 2. As I was a little confused about this I emailed cyclotricity and was advised to continue riding until the assisted pedalling also started to cut out as this would definitely indicate a low battery. Sure enough, after another couple of miles this happened so I put it back on charge again overnight.
As my work commute is a 10 mile round trip, this means that I am confident I can do 2 days commute without charging – so for work only this is going to average out at charging it twice a week. The battery life boasts 700 cycles, so if every charge was a full cycle (which is unlikely) then this means 100 charges a year maximum = 7 years battery life. If the battery lasts only half this time I’ll still be impressed.

Second commute
I had a problem on my second commute getting the bike to start - I emailed cyclotricity to ask what the problem might be and they told me to check the connectors to the brake levers in case I’d disturbed them when moving the levers. All connections were fine, but then I discovered that the throttle lever was rubbing against the gear control and wasn’t always springing back to zero, which explained why the motor hadn’t stopped – I adjusted this by a couple of millimeteres and it solved the issue. I must have moved it slightly when sorting the brake levers. Maybe having the throttle on as it powers up confuses the controller as presumably it has to read data from the brakes, throttle, motor, speed sensor etc. It has been fine since.

A fortnight later
Still early days, but observations I would make are:
I sometimes feel I could do with another couple of higher gears to get up to a better speed, but most of the time the six gears are fine. As I’ve got used to the bike, I even find I’m changing the assisted pedalling mode according to my speed rather than leaving it on high all the time – I assume this will prolong the life of the battery.

I’ve never had suspension on a bike before and while the suspension on the front forks smoothes out the odd drain cover etc, I still find it odd when braking, and the slight play means it’s hard to lift the front wheel to get over a bump. I’d prefer the suspension to be in the seat!

I’ve also ridden the bike with no power at all, and although perfectly fine it’s a heavy ride compared to my other bike – but to be fair it just reminds me of my first mountain bike, before I changed to a trail hybrid style bike. Bike friends tell me that if I change the tyres to some less knobbly road tyres this will also improve.

So to conclude - I’ve now been riding to work for a fortnight, with no problems at all with the motor other than the one I caused myself. I’m consistently doing the journey in just over 20 minutes, and I recharge every twenty miles – I reckon it would do a 25 mile round trip comfortably on a single charge, although I understand that as the battery gets more use over time the range will decrease. After about three months of this I think I’ll really be feeling the benefit financially and health wise - I’ve even ridden in the rain, and it was just as enjoyable. In short, I’m a convert, and very happy with my purchase. Cyclotricity have been very good with getting back with advice
Finally - If anyone in the Cardiff area is interested in this model and would like a quick test ride, then feel free to get in touch as I realise that stockists are thin on the ground in this part of the country…

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Nice write-up, thanks. I think that will help a few people.

A couple of things: Charge the battery after every commute. As the battery drains down, the voltage goes down too. Those lights on the panel are effectively a voltmeter. When the Battery is fully charged, it has 42v. When it's half charged, it has about 36v. You therefore get 14% more power on the first day than the second, so if you want to enjoy that extra power every day, charge it every day. It won't do the battery any harm. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to run batteries right down. That's when most problems occur.

I guess your back wheel is a cheap one with 6-speed free-wheel gears. If you count the teeth on the top gear, I bet that there's the normal 14 teeth, which makes the gearing too low for an electric bike. 26" back-wheels of different types are interchangeable, so yo can get one with a cassette spline so that you can put on cassette (free-hub) gears, which will give you the option to go down to 11 teeth on the top gear for more relaxed riding.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum, and glad to hear the cyclotricity is doing its job. I agree with D8veh - recharge every day.:)

Reactions: crispyw

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that was a brilliant write-up! stories like yours clearly show the benefits of e-biking and prove precisely that you do not need to spend anything like £2k to get something that does the job, so well done. Please tell the forum how long it took you to do the conversion and in your view, how difficult is it?
As for the end result, how does your bike compare with the Lifecycle Mountain Sport and the KTM Macina Cross?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
that was a brilliant write-up! stories like yours clearly show the benefits of e-biking and prove precisely that you do not need to spend anything like £2k to get something that does the job, so well done. Please tell the forum how long it took you to do the conversion and in your view, how difficult is it?
As for the end result, how does your bike compare with the Lifecycle Mountain Sport and the KTM Macina Cross?
Not a conversion trex; he bought the Cyclotricity Revolver...:rolleyes:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't know why I identify the name Cylotricity with their e-kit.
Must be their rolling ad at the top of the page! it's distinctive and quite cleverly done, so it stuck in memory!

Last edited:
Reactions: peerjay56

crispyw

Jun 3, 2014
Hi all - thanks for the comments. I'll start to charge it daily now instead. As for how it compares to the Lifecycle sport, all I can say is that it was a short test ride, but the lifecycle felt more like a small moped to me than a bike - it was heavier, but the feel of riding it was quite similar with pedal assist. It's clearly a lot more powerful than the cyclotricity, with a larger range and faster as well at 22mph (just a simple switch to increase the max speed - but would be illegal in the UK) but I expected to and wanted to pedal as I always wanted to get some exercise into the bargain. I never got to test ride the KTM Macina but it did look like a lovely machine - but at three times the price I'd expect that. What I also like about the revolver is that it's recognisably a fairly standard mountain bike with the motor added on. Apart from the large battery and the fact it says cyclotricity all over it you'd never really know from glancing at it, which would make me feel more confident about riding it to town and locking it up without it attracting a lot of attention. The dashboard might be a bit of a giveaway though.

crispyw

Jun 3, 2014
update - 15 months and still going strong!

thought I'd update this as they still sell this model.

I've continued to use the bike 3-4 times a week, I've probably lost a bit of weight (I haven't really checked tbh but certainly I'm a bit trimmer around the waist than I was) but I don't need to change my shirt when I get in to work now, so a definite difference there.

As for the bike itself - not a great deal to report really - after 13 months and approx 1000km I had to replace the back wheel as a few of the spokes had come loose - I hadn't noticed till one went, and then it was just as cheap to replace the entire thing. I had the back brake blocks and cables replaced, and all was well again. So my advice would be to check the spokes every few weeks, which is just normal cycle maintenance I suppose. The front wheel, which is the one with motor in it, is fine though. The tyre looks like it might need replacing soon, so I'll probably book it into the bike shop for a full service and then they can tell me the state of the chainset, bearings etc.

The key thing is that I've had no trouble at all with the battery or the charger or any of the electric parts - only normal wear and tear on the bike itself.

I think if I could go back in time I'd defintely go for the Stealth over the Revolver though - for the money an extra higher gear or two would be useful occasionally to get a bit more speed, and the disc brakes look more appealing now I'm a regular cyclist.

But all in all - I'd still recommend this model, and I'd recommend electric cycling to anyone who likes cycling but who doesn't like hills or headwinds.