Complete Newbie to e-bikes.

DeanAllen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2016
leeds
hi as title says im a complete newbie to e-bikes.
how ever i did look years ago and reviews was really bad with battery life but i persume as technology changes so does quality.

anyway i do have a view questions regarding why i'm looking.
I'm looking a cheaper mode of transport to work and back. ( I just changed job at leeds bradford airport)
if anyone knows the area theres some long steep hills I just dont have the power to climb on my mountain bike.
so i have been looking at moped or ebike's.
and here's my question.

what kit would you recommend for a 4 mile journey 2 mile down hill 2 mile up hill ? (I'm other side of vallley)
and how reliable are the kit's?
would you get two batterys or would one do?

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
What bike have you got and can you post up a pic
Halfords have 20% off all there bikes at the moment
And they have the carrera crossfire on sale at £799.00 this is a fab price for a e-bike 2years warranty and for not a lot more than a kit.

If it was me I'd buy the halfords bike

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You probably have a Halfrauds near you to go and test ride the one that Steve has rightly suggested. If you do, let us know how you get on with it. :)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Dean
The kits use very similar components to the cheaper, built electric bikes and mainly rely on how well they're installed for their reliability.
For your journey of only a few miles I don't see any need for a spare battery - even the GTech's tiny battery would cope (though the motor and gearing might struggle IMO).
We have a stockist in Leeds that should be willing to let you try a bike up a decent local hill. I think Wilco in Leeds would be worth a call on 0113 277 1221 Post code LS10 1BA
And Halfords are clearly selling their stock of the Carrera Crossfire at a ridiculous price for some reason as Steve says. You should take a test ride of that too.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a 4 mile ride any bike will do the job, the issue is will you also get the bug and use it more ?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Here's my kit bike, built by 'Stevemanfa'. It won't 'fly' up a steep hill, but it will assist a great deal with getting up one.

DSC00667.JPG

That's a flask of coffee. Or coke, weather permitting, and not the battery that many assume it to be. :)

It has an oxydrive kit on it.

http://www.oxydrive.co.uk/electric-bike-kit/

It's the second one going up this hill.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
View attachment 14823 Thankyou for reply I will probably use it more my concern is the hills. Rather than distance here's the bike I was thinking of using
That's quite a poor bike for a conversion in my opinion. No triangle and no easy rear rack (full suspension) limits your choice of battery.

You'd be better of starting with a hard tail, preferably with disc brakes. Should be able to pick something up for £100 or less on eBay/gumtree

Here's one of mine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: trex and LeighPing

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Halfords have 20% off all there bikes at the moment
And they have the carrera crossfire on sale at £799.00 this is a fab price for a e-bike 2years warranty and for not a lot more than a kit.

If it was me I'd buy the halfords bike
I agree totally, in fact it is just what I did. I am a hulk of a person and am using the bike daily for a 6 mile commute, it will go most of the week without needing to be charged. Furthest I've ridden it is 27 miles and it still had plenty of juice left (2 of 4 bars).

Bit hard to get a test ride of these bikes, they are very popular at moment and stores didn't have any in stock when I was looking a couple of weeks back. I just read reviews of it on this site and took the plunge.

DeanAllen

Aug 2, 2016
leeds
Been to halfords and it's out of stock I'm looking on eBay now as got £800 to spend on one so looking online...

Jain

Jul 27, 2016
Glasgow
Been to halfords and it's out of stock I'm looking on eBay now as got £800 to spend on one so looking online...
The Carrera crossfire was out of stock in all the Glasgow stores when I looked online about two weeks ago but it is now showing as being in stock again in many of the stores so might be worth looking online or asking in your nearest store if they are going to be getting stock coming in.

Jane

Reactions: D8ve

DeanAllen

Aug 2, 2016
leeds
I asked in leeds store they said they have to order them in as they are to small a store but I can go to York....
I might as well order online and get it delivered. Just not sure which one now as there's loads my other half is trying to talk me into still conversion and by anot her bike to convert..... but it's going to cost about the same.

Jain

Jul 27, 2016
Glasgow
I asked in leeds store they said they have to order them in as they are to small a store but I can go to York....
I might as well order online and get it delivered. Just not sure which one now as there's loads my other half is trying to talk me into still conversion and by anot her bike to convert..... but it's going to cost about the same.
I looked into conversion kits for my Subway Carrera but I suppose it depends how confident you are and how much you can be bothered fiddling about to make sure you get the correct kit and fit it properly so it doesn't damage your bike - also like you say the kits are almost as expensive so for few hundred more you could get the electric Carrera. Good luck with your choice!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
You did the right thing there buying the crossfire and not trying to convert your other bike.

They seem to be very well regarded on here, hope you enjoy it!.