Confused bike buyer !

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I have been browsing the forums for a few days now trying to get information on my requirements for a new bike, my problem is the more i read the more confused i get...there seems to be too much choice and i'm not sure what will be suitable for me so i really hope i can get some help.

A little background on myself ... i have had 3 bikes so far the first one was an American one cant remember the name followed by 2 Ezee Forzas - one died after 2 years, the second works but the batteries not even a year old and it cuts out after about 20 minutes riding.

I only need the bike to cycle to and from work i do not plan on using it for leisure, the ride is only 10 miles a day but over a few tough hills, i consider myself healthy and if it wasn't for the hills would ride a standard bike buy i don't want to arrive at work tired before i've even started !

My budget is £1500 but i would stretch to £2000 for the right bike as i really do want the bike i buy this time to last me a few years.

I live on the Isle of Wight so therefore going to showrooms to try out a bike is not easy, we do now have a store selling ebikes on the island - the Lifecycle Sport is really the only option there but cannot find a lot of positive/info about it.

So what i am looking for is a bike which would take hills with ease , not a step through or folding bike and i do prefer the sporty style of bike ( my Forza did have a handy off road option, which i did like) but that isn't such a major point for me this time with build quality and longevity key.

Thanks in advance for any help

Martin.

D

Deleted member 4366

Any of the Bosch-motored bikes should suit you. They start from about £1800, but if you hunt around, you can find them cheaper. They're strong climbers, and if you can get a 2013 one, the early problems should be well-sorted.

C

Cyclezee

I have been browsing the forums for a few days now trying to get information on my requirements for a new bike, my problem is the more i read the more confused i get...there seems to be too much choice and i'm not sure what will be suitable for me so i really hope i can get some help.

A little background on myself ... i have had 3 bikes so far the first one was an American one cant remember the name followed by 2 Ezee Forzas - one died after 2 years, the second works but the batteries not even a year old and it cuts out after about 20 minutes riding.

I only need the bike to cycle to and from work i do not plan on using it for leisure, the ride is only 10 miles a day but over a few tough hills, i consider myself healthy and if it wasn't for the hills would ride a standard bike buy i don't want to arrive at work tired before i've even started !

My budget is £1500 but i would stretch to £2000 for the right bike as i really do want the bike i buy this time to last me a few years.

I live on the Isle of Wight so therefore going to showrooms to try out a bike is not easy, we do now have a store selling ebikes on the island - the Lifecycle Sport is really the only option there but cannot find a lot of positive/info about it.

So what i am looking for is a bike which would take hills with ease , not a step through or folding bike and i do prefer the sporty style of bike ( my Forza did have a handy off road option, which i did like) but that isn't such a major point for me this time with build quality and longevity key.

Thanks in advance for any help

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Tell me about the Forzas, how old are they, where did you buy them, where and when did you get the battery?

I might be able to help.

Regards,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A crank drive Klakhoff ought to suit.

Quality bike, hub gears for low maintenance, and at 10 miles a day you might only need to charge the battery two or three times a week.

On budget, too, particularly if you negotiate a bit off the web price:

2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse HS 50cm Electric Bike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Martin, you should try a Juicy. Those that do like the slightly quirky, curvy shape of our range find them easily able to cope with the hills of Derbyshire, for which they are designed. Here's another Martin's view of his recent purchase.

Hope you can get to try one. You could also afford Merlin, which has all our bells and whistles attached. There's really no need to part with all that much cash!

Good luck with your searching.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Martin We Have Bike for you we convert bikes mainly Raleigh diamondback solid bikes with our own kits they have off road button please call me

Thanks Frank

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I am considering bringing my Forza back to life although i am also tempted buy a new bike.

Would the following bikes be most importantly good hill climbers and also reliable or are they too much for my needs of only having to travel 10 miles a day maximum. Also as i may want to speed up my journey a little am i right in thinking the Oxygen may do that ?

Kalkhoff Pro Connect BS10 £2075
Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse HS £1795
E-motion NEO Cross £2080
Oxygen Emate Race £1575

C

Cyclezee

Hi Martin,

If you decide not to resurrect your Forza, you might want to consider a one of the latest eZee bikes.

You would have to look hard to find better value for money and performance. They on offer in our winter sale right now and the V2 eZee motor is 29% more powerful than the V1.

electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

DelTheTope

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Hi Martin,

I am a new member on this forum, in fact I am new to the ebike world. Before buying a bike I did a lot of research and definitely did not want a step through or folding type bike. Unlike yourself I only had a small budget and wondered if a lower end market bike would be a waste of money. For looks, weight and price I finally opted for the Cyclotricity Revolver. Because I am new to electric bikes I have nothing to compare it against, but after a month of daily use for commuting to work I have found it to be excellent. It makes hills a breeze and cycling in general a real pleasure.

Being very stylish and costing just £600 you could buy a new one of these every 3 years and still not spend over your £1800 budget. I suspect the bike would last a lot longer than 3 years anyway!

I have made a short youtube clip about the bike here

Cyclotricity Revolver Electric Bike Review Ebike - YouTube

Have fun,

DelTheTope
Wirral

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
As stipulated I am sure you would love the Bosch we have a number of bikes with this motor which are within yourt budget. Good luck with the search.