Confused by Mudguards...

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
We had a cracking storm here yesterday afternoon (Glasgow, UK), that passed directly overhead, flash flooding everywhere. Was a little annoyed by the timing as was supposed to be meeting a mate for some pool and beer so was taking bike not car.

However I don't have mudguards on the bike so did some digging online.

There are quite a few YT videos showing ppl testing out various types of mudguards with white suits etc. on so you can see the splash damage for each type of mudguard.

The conclusions from these vids was largely the same:

short length: waste of time, you'll still get dirty backside and wet feet/trousers, completely useless - a joke...

medium length: offers more backside protection but you'll still get dirty, feet/trousers get wet - although do look good in the dry - but useless overall!

long length: decent backside protection, feet can get wet - below is what I will probably buy as they are removeable

full length ones: decent backside protection and decent feet/trouser protection - not easily removeable

Fine, probably as you might expect.

What I don't get thought is who is buying the short/medium ones as they don't work, they are pretty much all a waste of space yet stores still sell them and ppl still give them good reviews when they don't work!

How can they sell mudguards that are clearly not fit for purpose, is this some kind of racket...?

If they sold brakes that didn't do their job or any other major bike component they'd be shut down and get jailed?

WTF?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Some of it is to do with fashion, bikes with no mudguard eyes, and weight / aero

I have full size mudguards on my bikes (stay on all year), Glasgow weather can be four seasons in one day.

The cycle paths in Glasgow (East ender here) need resurfaced and the branches cut back.

Reactions: richtea99

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The cycle paths in Glasgow (East ender here) need resurfaced and the branches cut back.
We use a lot of the main cycle paths in West End/City Centre - they too are in various states of repair and plain dangerous in certain areas. The East End is the one place we haven't cycled too, must be some nice runs for us to look up this summer from Glasgow Green along the river?

Some of it is to do with fashion, bikes with no mudguard eyes, and weight / aero
Yes, I have tried to keep my bike looking as nice as possible whilst blending it in so as not to attract unwanted attention, however as you say 4 seasons in one day so it's time I can use it at least after rain.

I have full size mudguards on my bikes (stay on all year), Glasgow weather can be four seasons in one day.
I quite like the look with no mudguards however might buy the Zefal ones above mostly for looks in the summer (as they don't work..), as they're easy enough to take off and swap for the ones I'm going to buy - the SKS RACEBLADE - they are designed to pop off/on in seconds.

I also want this pannier, it might be a stretch with the above SKS mudguard on, we'll see.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I cycle from Shettleston, go into St.Peters cementry and join the cycle path that goes into the city centre Not that exciting to be honest,
I also use the one that goes to Pollock park. Cycle away from town towards West end and cross Bells bridge and follow the route. You can also get access from South side via Queens park area.
The 13th Note in Trongate(opposite St.Enochs car park) allows bikes inside and Mono across from it has a bike rack at its door.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I cycle from Shettleston, go into St.Peters cementry and join the cycle path that goes into the city centre Not that exciting to be honest,
I also use the one that goes to Pollock park. Cycle away from town towards West end and cross Bells bridge and follow the route. You can also get access from South side via Queens park area.
The 13th Note in Trongate(opposite St.Enochs car park) allows bikes inside and Mono across from it has a bike rack at its door.
Will take a look at these routes, thanks.

Know the current 13th Note well from Barras gigs, my band played there several times when it used to be on Glassford St in 90s and they did regular band nights downstairs. They also started comedy nights hosted by a spotty student called Ed Byrne...

Not been in Mono for yrs, used to drink there in the late 90s/00s, does Stephen Pastel still have a record shop in it? Good to know they're bike friendly as I get a para locking it up out of sight.

The owners at the time (Craig Tannoch rings a bell?), also had a recording studio called Tower Studios in Park Circus where we recorded a demo.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
We had a cracking storm here yesterday afternoon (Glasgow, UK), that passed directly overhead
Yeah, I got caught in it. Single shirt and shorts. Coming back from Morrisons southside. A couple of spots when I left, then at the point of no return and not a bit of shelter in sight... MONSOON CONDITIONS.
And of course the heat of the sun had gone, so soaking wet clothes and a bit of wind chill made for a very unpleasant trip home. All I could do was keep going and laugh like a maniac, which caused cyclists i passed to laugh like maniacs too because of the predicament we were now finding ourselves in.

Mudguards. Due to the suss fork, I can only really run one of those sus types, you know the flat one, costs a couple of quid and you bend it to fit. Rear I've an SKS Bluemels type 75mm(27.5"/29"). 75mm is good for 2.25-2.6" tyres
Cost £45(Front&rear)
Easy fitting, the stays are adjustable, and you can cut them if overly long, though thats maybe fitting to a 27.5" and mine is 29err so OK off the bat.

I needed to drill a hole midway to bolt it on higher up cos its a suss frame, try to attach it at the bottom the action of the suspension might tear it apart, so it just hangs loose down the bottom, which thus far is fine.

I'll eventually get some sort of clamps to attach the front one to the suss fork legs, they dont have any fittings, but so far just the simple zip tied on one one works as well as most things. It at least saves that kick up that goes right for your eyes.

RACKS- your bike shoould be able to take any sort, but avoid those seatpost clamp on ones because they dont really like weight. And typically I've just donated a spare to Bike for Good over at Victoria road(called , and I did see while there they had quite a few, so you should get something for cheap.
20230617_212019.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: portals

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I use plastic covered P clips to attach a full sized mudguard to my suspension fork. The P clips go around the lower legs and the mudguard stay eyelet goes in the middle, a 5mm bolt and nut secures it. The top of the mudguard rests in the top of the fork crown, attached by a couple of zip ties running diagonally across each other.

Attachments

Jerry Atric

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
We had a cracking storm here yesterday afternoon (Glasgow, UK), that passed directly overhead, flash flooding everywhere. Was a little annoyed by the timing as was supposed to be meeting a mate for some pool and beer so was taking bike not car.

However I don't have mudguards on the bike so did some digging online.

There are quite a few YT videos showing ppl testing out various types of mudguards with white suits etc. on so you can see the splash damage for each type of mudguard.

The conclusions from these vids was largely the same:

short length: waste of time, you'll still get dirty backside and wet feet/trousers, completely useless - a joke...
View attachment 52211

medium length: offers more backside protection but you'll still get dirty, feet/trousers get wet - although do look good in the dry - but useless overall!
View attachment 52208

long length: decent backside protection, feet can get wet - below is what I will probably buy as they are removeable
View attachment 52209

full length ones: decent backside protection and decent feet/trouser protection - not easily removeable
View attachment 52210

Fine, probably as you might expect.

What I don't get thought is who is buying the short/medium ones as they don't work, they are pretty much all a waste of space yet stores still sell them and ppl still give them good reviews when they don't work!

How can they sell mudguards that are clearly not fit for purpose, is this some kind of racket...?

If they sold brakes that didn't do their job or any other major bike component they'd be shut down and get jailed?

WTF?
Fitted cheap eBay guards on our bikes (£6.16) Used an old 60's Motorcross trick. Piece of old inner tube, 4 cable ties and a piece of bent aluminium..... as the mounting brackets that come with the guards are crap! Our bikes have been bashed over rocks on the Derbyshire trails , through mud, puddles and used in heavy rain, and our feet and bums stay completely clean and dry. I built our bikes to look like just 2 old mountain bikes to discourage any scroat that wanted to nick them, so are not fashionable or stylish, but at 77 yrs I dont need style or fashion I'm just happy with comfort.

Attachments

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Bloody hell, another tropical storm has just hit...going to order mudguards this evening!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Bloody hell, another tropical storm has just hit...going to order mudguards this evening!
SKS Beavertails. They're stayless, so dead easy to fit. two types:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Thanks for the links.

Not convinced the Beavertails would keep my backside and feet as dry though as the SKS Raceblade Pro XL Stealth Series Mudguard Set: Matt Black, XL ??

I won't take the bike out in rain and if I'm out and it rains I immediately seek shelter, my use case will be for when the rain stops and the large puddles take time to dry out.

What I like about the SKS Raceblades is once you have set them up you can remove them and put them back on in seconds and they have great reviews re quality and dryness.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Scotland - Georgia game has turned in to farce with the rain, never seen anything like it....my 13yr old is there...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the links.

Not convinced the Beavertails would keep my backside and feet as dry though as the SKS Raceblade Pro XL Stealth Series Mudguard Set: Matt Black, XL ??
I used them for long commuting for 4 years. they're perfect, which is why i recommended them. You need a bolt through the fork crown to fit the front one, which my bike doesn't have, but I was able to zip-tie it to the bridge. they're only 1/3 of the price of the ones you linkedat £10 a pair including postage. I just ordered another pair for stock at that price:

£9 a set here:

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Do you have any pics of them on your bike you could share? Might be worth a punt but don't want to take face off bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Do you have any pics of them on your bike you could share? Might be worth a punt but don't want to take face off bike.
These are the Beavertails with round ends, which I prefer. 9 years old and still doing well. Not cleaned for 4 years, though I did oil the chain last month. Wheels are 26".

How to fix them to your bridge when you have no bolt-hole:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldie

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Thanks for posting the pics.

How dry to they keep your backside and feet in bad conditions?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for posting the pics.

How dry to they keep your backside and feet in bad conditions?
Backside is absolutely fine, but I still get a dirty stripe up my yellow reflective jacket, and the spray off the front wheel goes in my face when I get up to speed. That will happen with any mudguards if you go fast.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
It appears then that even with full length mudguards you'll get sprayed. supposed the solution is a cheap cagoule to carry in back pack...or a poncho, they also help protect the controller/battery.

Or just avoid the wet....I got wet this evening, first time, it wasn't heavy but enough to put me off.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i dont like puddles and over 30mph i have so much water off the front wheel its pointless.

image (6).jpg

go for a ride with eddiepj he destroyed every motor tho and got it replaced under warranty u got 2 years to kill it :p

Reactions: EddiePJ