Connect a heated waistcoat to 36v bike battery?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date

Tomwal

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
London NW2
I use a Keis electric vest when riding my motorcycle in winter and it is absolutely essential. When I am cycling I get warm very quickly - even in very cold weather I can get too warm. I would never see the need to use heated clothing. Just make sure you are wearing the right type of clothing. Heated gloves would be very useful though and you can buy these with rechargeable battery packs.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those looks great! But I've got so many jackets - at least three puffy down-filled ones which I'd love to use on the bike, but they're not at all windproof and hate moisture; even the moisture which builds up when worn under a reflective hi-viz waterproof (I've got a xxxxL bright yellow waterproof which fits over the down-filled, but boy, does it look gigantic lol - it'd be hard to miss, even if you weren't aiming) (the breathable variety isn't sufficient either). Down-filled is extremely light, which is their main advantage, helps with range of course.
I used mine for winter commuting for two years, 15 miles each way. I didn't have any problem with sweating, waterproofness or anything. The only problem was when the temperature was over 4 deg, it was too warm, so like DC, I unzipped it about half way down to let the cool air in. Underneath, I just had a shirt and very thin jumper. Another problem is that it keeps getting dirty, especially when there's salt on the road, though it cleans up in the washing machine. If I got another, I'd get a darker colour one to hide some of the dirt.

D

Deleted member 33385

I used mine for winter commuting for two years, 15 miles each way. I didn't have any problem with sweating, waterproofness or anything. The only problem was when the temperature was over 4 deg, it was too warm, so like DC, I unzipped it about half way down to let the cool air in. Underneath, I just had a shirt and very thin jumper. Another problem is that it keeps getting dirty, especially when there's salt on the road, though it cleans up in the washing machine. If I got another, I'd get a darker colour one to hide some of the dirt.
I might get one too. My reasoning with my combination is that I can simply take the hi-viz thin covering off and be instantly ready to meet clients. We need all the hi visibility attributes we can get! Don't get anything but extremely bright yellow!

D

Deleted member 33385

The best place to get warm but inexpensive down jackets used to be Sports Direct:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-sub-zero-down-jacket-mens-443619#colcode=44361903

...their "Sub Zero" toggles between waterproof and not. This year it's waterproof. Not nearly as warm as this, which I bought recently from Mountain Warehouse:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/polar-expedition-mens-down-padded-jacket-p20588.aspx/jet black/

...I think it's that one, my eyes are a bit iffy these days.

It's bloody warm but thus far too big for any of my hi-viz macs. I always try things on first, all that phaffing about with posting clothing back and forth is highly annoying. If you buy from one of their Mountain Warehouse shops, and they try to charge you full price - show them the online offer and they will have to honour their online deal. Down jackets from anywhere else come with a think-of-a-number-and-quadruple-it price.

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Cold air and cycling don't go well together for me either. (COPD).
Following a recommendation from vfr400 last year I bought a set of heat pads and a couple of battery banks and fitted a heat pad in a snood type neck/mouth cover and not had a problem since with cold weather.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The best place to get warm but inexpensive down jackets used to be Sports Direct:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-sub-zero-down-jacket-mens-443619#colcode=44361903

...their "Sub Zero" toggles between waterproof and not. This year it's waterproof. Not nearly as warm as this, which I bought recently from Mountain Warehouse:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/polar-expedition-mens-down-padded-jacket-p20588.aspx/jet black/

...I think it's that one, my eyes are a bit iffy these days.

It's bloody warm but thus far too big for any of my hi-viz macs. I always try things on first, all that phaffing about with posting clothing back and forth is highly annoying. If you buy from one of their Mountain Warehouse shops, and they try to charge you full price - show them the online offer and they will have to honour their online deal. Down jackets from anywhere else come with a think-of-a-number-and-quadruple-it price.
I have one of these

Absolutely brilliant, very warm and being a ski jacket the hood fits over amy helmet along with the arms being long as well so no gap between gloves and sleeve. In the sale at the moment at £70 so be quick if you want one.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My Dad used to just put a folded in half newspaper under the front of his jumper. kept the wind chill off his tum. He was a time trialist.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
My Dad used to just put a folded in half newspaper under the front of his jumper. kept the wind chill off his tum. He was a time trialist.
I used to do that, also tried wearing womens tights under trousers which did work but i stopped doing that in fear of having an accident and being taken into hospital.

• :D

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Just wear several layers. In cold weather I wear two fleeces, pull over and T-shirt and I am fine. If air is too cold to breathe in, use a scarf.

Biggest problem in cold weather is keeping the knees warm, they don't get much blood supply and the kneecap is exposed to a constant cold blast of air.

D

Deleted member 33385

I used to do that, also tried wearing womens tights under trousers which did work but i stopped doing that in fear of having an accident and being taken into hospital.
These are great in cold weather:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-tights-mens-402086#colcode=40208603

Very warm indeed, but they're not windproof - you'd need light waterproof trousers. The fabric pulls out all the hair from your legs, which'd help with how your legs look in women's tights.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: D C
D

Deleted member 33385

I have one of these

Absolutely brilliant, very warm and being a ski jacket the hood fits over amy helmet along with the arms being long as well so no gap between gloves and sleeve. In the sale at the moment at £70 so be quick if you want one.
I hadn't spotted that one - add one of those high viz harnesses it may well fit the bill.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I wonder if it's the cold air you're breathing in that causes problems. I wear a scarf thing over my mouth which somehow takes the cold out of the air coming in.
One useless but interesting fact; a Siberian fox's nose acts as a heat exchanger to reduce heat loss and prevent over-cold air on the lungs. (I think it was Siberian fox, anyway, some similar animal if not)

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
One way to solve the voltage problem with 12V motor cycle vests would be to buy 3, med, large, X-large, wear one on top of the other and wire in series...nice & cosy, job done! :D

D

Deleted member 33385

One way to solve the voltage problem with 12V motor cycle vests would be to buy 3, med, large, X-large, wear one on top of the other and wire in series...nice & cosy, job done! :D
..and when I arrive unconsciuous at the hospital, I'll be referred to as "Russian doll biker with fishnets"

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: WheezyRider and D C