Connectors

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well thinking already about how to tidy up my connectors for my E Brompton project once I get it working.

I have been looking round at some connectors both for my battery to controller and the brushless motor three connection leads.

Here are a few

For battery to controller

Used by Cytronex - RS. This one is waterproof.

Maplin - Here and Here or Here even. Something that locks maybe better.

Does anyone know where to get the waterproof connector that is used on the motor connectors clipped to the front fork that Cytronex use and others usually on the Bafangs I think ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The neutrik powercon connectors are a good choice and do feature a very good locking action, but the Speakon connectors are a better choice if you don't need mains voltages as they offer a higher current rating. Cheapest I've found Speakon connectors is from Rapid Electronics ...

Rapid Electronics - Cables & Connectors

However.. the speakon connectors are rather bulky for bike use... I'm looking for something better myself at the moment.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Fecn,

They look interesting as I have not come across those before. I guess as I don't really need a water proof connection as the battery will be in the Brompton bag those are probably better.

Anyway plenty of time to look round yet.

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Could you use a 2 pole one here or are they not as good/robust ?

They say they are good to 30amps ?

Regards

Jerry

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I use both the 2-pole and 4-pole ones myself for 12v and 24v respectively - My van has 2-pole speakon sockets throughout. My bike stuff all uses the 4-pole connectors with the higher voltages running on the extra connections. They're both exactly the same size - The two-pole plugs can fit into the 4-pole sockets, but the 4-pole plugs cannot fit into two-pole sockets.

To give you some idea of the relative sizes of the connectors...

Speakon panel-mount socket on my NiMh Pack....(Speakon is the black one next to the RJ45 socket which is for the temperature sensor)

Speakon 4-pole plug, (grey/blue) going into black socket<->socket gender changer on my LiFePo4 pack... (this is the too-bulky thing I want to change)

Bless this mess... 2-pole speakon socket built into my benchtop PSU with my RC charger plugged into it.

I use Speakons for pretty much everything high-current and DC voltage.

Steer clear of the 8-pole ones though... They're are substantially larger. You can see the difference in size next to a 2-pole plug here... The big chunky black cable is a 90A feed into my van (cable is rated 120A).. the thick blue cable is 30A rated.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Man I am stuffed :eek:

Just finished Christmas lunch!

Thanks CeeGee. The three pole ones of those would be great for my motor connection.

Unless someone knows where to get the screw type that come on the Cytronex or on the Bafang motors :confused:

Regards

Jerry

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
The AMP's are not designed for frequent disassembly, rather for automotive components which are only disconnected when they need replacement, once, twice or more likely never in a cars service life.

They are however very good at their purpose, and I always salvage them whenever I come across a wiring harness being thrown out.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
These switchcraft connectors look,like they are only rated to 7.5A - You need about 15A for the motor connectors?
Thanks. They seem identical (same brand and spec) as the ones used on my Cytronex. I think the Tongxin only draws about 10-15amps (its not advised to draw more than 10amps with these motors) and I am not sure if each wire has to be rated to that or if the load is spread across the three wires :confused:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Man I am stuffed :eek:

Just finished Christmas lunch!

Thanks CeeGee. The three pole ones of those would be great for my motor connection.

Unless someone knows where to get the screw type that come on the Cytronex or on the Bafang motors :confused:

Regards

Jerry
That's the same connector as used on my Alien bike for the motor connection at the wheel....as mentioned I don't think they are designed for a high cycle / insertion life

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
How about one of the Hirschmann ST plugs, rated up to 16amps...I think Dan used one of these on his Brompton....

Product Browser Page

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009