Considering a recumbent conversion.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I love my Carrera conversion and use it as often as I can. However there are days when I find it difficult to get my leg over (if you'll pardon the expression:rolleyes:). I know a stepthrough would cure this but I would like to go further than the 20-25 miles I currently manage before aching wrists and numb bum send me home. The roads round here can be a bit brutal with that dreadful spray on tar/gravel that rips off in strips and patches, creating a juddering energy sapping ride that sus seat post doesn't really help.
So I'm radically considering a recumbent in the hope that this will give me what I need. I'm caught with this machine:
http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/recumbents/hpvelotechnik/streetmachine/
Its short wheelbase will allow me to still get it through my terraced house and the 26" rear wheel appeals. Also it seems to have a slightly higher and more upright riding position than others, important as I ride country roads between hedges and don't want to miss the views. I think it would also lend itself to a rear wheel kit with the battery behind the seat hopefully of setting the increase in unsprung weight from the motor.
I have never ridden a recumbent, so obviously need to try one before I lay out a substantial wedge. Problem is I can only find two suppliers in the UK, one in central London (do I really have to go there?), the other in Glasgow (already looking into flights from Cardiff). Other makes I've looked at look much longer with a much more reclined riding position, too low, I think, to feel safe

Can anyone help with info about suppliers and/or general discussion about recumbent merits and disadvantages? .
Thanks
Ben

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
IMG_1403.JPG The first twenty minutes is pure terror. How do you balance steer or anything. The next six months is getting used to your feet passing the turning point long before you turn.
Then it's enjoying the relaxed comfortable cruising you get with no wrist or neck strain. A bum that hasn't been violated etc.
For flat land cruising you don't need assistance mine is so fast.
I have gone unassisted on mine and it's fine I only miss the strava busting performance. And that would be cheating :eek:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Dave. See yours is a short wheelbase too, though I was thinking I'd go for under seat steering.
They are hard to come by though aren't they? Guess there's no market in this country, too wrapped up in diamond frame go as fast as you can grimmace, bikes.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Under seat or tiller. I haven't tried underseat. You can pull on the tiller and it folds for entry.
There are one or two on eBay, a challenge fujin sl just went for a grand!
I wouldn't go back now unless I had to go of road. No upwrongs for me;)

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Thanks Dave. See yours is a short wheelbase too, though I was thinking I'd go for under seat steering.
They are hard to come by though aren't they? Guess there's no market in this country, too wrapped up in diamond frame go as fast as you can grimmace, bikes.
You seem set on solo recumbent,recumbent trikes are every bit as comfy ,but go up to 11!
Downsides to recumbent trikes are they're heavier, and likely not be able to thread through the house,but you will have a big ,big ,grin with the roadhandling.
Can recommend Kevin Dunsheath of Dtek recumbent a in Little Thetford, ,nr Ely , Cambridgeshire, he has avast stock of used machines of all types,and very well may be worth your while making the effort to get there. Not got details to hand, but you can Google Dtek recumbents, by appointment only tho'.
Thought there was a dealer in Bristol ,might be wrong.?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My personal choice would be the folding Gekko fx26 trike with a mid-drive on the front :confused: if I needed to keep one in house. It has skate wheels on the frame so that you can drag it or push it through any 60 cm wide opening, a standard door is 72 cm... It is going to weigh about 20 kg with the motor and without the battery so lots of stairs are probably not a good idea.

I am thinking of moving so criteria for new lodgings include an indoor parking space which makes things cheaper - a non folding trike is about 400-500 € cheaper.

You will be sitting below hedge level so will miss out on much of the view.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
My personal choice would be the folding Gekko fx26 trike with a mid-drive on the front :confused: if I needed to keep one in house. It has skate wheels on the frame so that you can drag it or push it through any 60 cm wide opening, a standard door is 72 cm... It is going to weigh about 20 kg with the motor and without the battery so lots of stairs are probably not a good idea.

I am thinking of moving so criteria for new lodgings include an indoor parking space which makes things cheaper - a non folding trike is about 400-500 € cheaper.

You will be sitting below hedge level so will miss out on much of the view.
Oh! And another thing ,recumbo trikes ,scares the horses!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Oh! And another thing ,recumbo trikes ,scares the horses!
Anything quiet will do that. My useless tingting bell seems to be heard by the horses but not the rider, depends on their reaction as to how the horse behaves. I just end up shouting, 'Oioi'.

Here's a thing. Do your feet slip of the peddles on bumpy roads, looks like it could be painful?

'Fraid a trikes out of the question, not enough space.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
That is one thing you should wear ,clippless pedals (SPDs) ,or at least toeclips and straps, your feet work in a different plane, a quarter turn from usual,and you develop a different style of pedalling.
Also you use your muslecature in a different way, you will find the back of your leg muscles will ache to bu**ery for first few miles, but you soon adjust,you are relearning to ride,a lot of short rides,working up the distance, not ridden solo recumbents any distance ,but like D8ve wrote ,you will be all over emotionally untill you get the knack.
But when you get it ,the grimace becomes The Grin!

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Contact for Dtek recumbents

Kevin Dunsheath
E-mail dtekhpvs@btconnect.com

Dtek
Main Street
Little Thetford
Cambridgeshire
CB6 1BR.

Once you get hold of him, explain what you intend, he will happily allow you to try as many as you like, out on the tens is the quitest test track for miles,all without any sales pressure at all ,Kevin knows his stuff, and is a really Un regular guy!

Unfortunately no website, but you will likely get all afternoon to try n buy.

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve
Contact for Dtek recumbents

Kevin Dunsheath
E-mail dtekhpvs@btconnect.com

Dtek
Main Street
Little Thetford
Cambridgeshire
CB6 1BR.

Once you get hold of him, explain what you intend, he will happily allow you to try as many as you like, out on the tens is the quitest test track for miles,all without any sales pressure at all ,Kevin knows his stuff, and is a really Un regular guy!

Unfortunately no website, but you will likely get all afternoon to try n buy.
I've been recommended Kevin too. Worth a visit if it's possible. You'll get to try all sorts. Super knowledgeable :)

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!