considering an ebike but have concerns about frame size and weight

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hello all I am considering some sort of ebike. I am 65. 6ft tall and 13 stone. I really do struggle on any kind of hill . legs hurt like hell I find myself pushing my sirrus elite quite a bit and this only weighs 27lb.
I have looked at a few ebikes online and these basically are 20. 26 28 wheel size but it is the weight of some of these bikes that put me of 45-52lbs in the advent of say a puncture or some mishap where the cycle may need to be pushed.

I have been looking at the ebikes from (woosh) in my price range I considerd a 20 wheel step through hidden battery and foldable I tried three 20 inch wheeled bikes at my local Halfords but found these to feel a bit wobberly so perhaps a 26 mountain style ebike may be better.

I have considerd a front wheel ebike kit but everything I have seen is uber expensive, hence I have joined pedelecs for some guidance.

ps not too sure if 18inch frame would be ok thank you

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
most bikes from Woosh come with rear rack battery, harder to swing your leg over the rear rack than bikes with battery behind seat post or bottle battery. I would narrow down the list to the £725 Sport TS or the £675 Zephyr CD. Both are much easier to mount and light. The foldable 20" Zephyr CD has puncture proof tyres, the TS doesn't.
Try before you buy though.

Sport TS:

Zephyr CD:

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
I have a Woosh Zephyr (not CD) and find it very stable even with 20" wheels, helped by its relatively long wheelbase, low (hidden) battery and full suspension. It really doesn't feel like a compact folder. If you are anywhere near Southampton you are welcome to have a try on it.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
There's not much you can do about the weight - a motor and a battery will always add a certain amount to a bike - typically around 13lbs but can be as litle as 8lbs.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you are concerned about pushing a heavy e-bike.
It is not common knowledge that many e-bikes have an auto function...this function will move the bike along at 4 mph,it will work if walking alongside the bike or riding but only on the flat or slight incline.
Aside from bikes from Woosh or Burisch,if working on a budget you may wish to look at the Vita Uno-26 bike,available exclusively from the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick,Surrey....priced at only £695.00 including all lights and mudguards,the size would suit,it is a good value bike.
KudosDave

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thank you all for your input, lots of potholes rough roads where I live, like to ride some canal paths. so I think I might be better of with 26 inch mtb style ebike (like the idea of step through foldable though)

weight of batteries / moter as has been pointed out seems to be more or less 14lbs.

looking at modest at mtb in Halfords with disk brakes about £ 300
a kit to add moter etc for my existing cycle would proberbly be best part of £400.
so have decided to buy the VITA at £695 (battery 2 years warrenty) like the idea of auto mode.
it was a toss up between woosh sport cd , (might be better for hills) the vita has rear wheel moter so hope this is ok.
like the BURISCH bike a lot but a more expensive.
what really made up my mind to get a pedelec,since I joined this forum is the last few days so windy ,struggling to get up hills at 5mph which is hard work and dangerous .

should receive vita on Wednesday.

thank you all once again

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget to give us a review when you get it!