Controller and display recommendation

Markdd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2021
Changed my battery I’d like a controller and display that used the waterproof connectors ie 9 pin motor 3pin pas currently 8 pin display which includes throttle 2x brakes can anyone recommend a system thanks; my current is built into the battery case so want to go more generic everyday commuter 250w rear bafang drive and 36v 12ah battery cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Look for Kuenteng KT controller kits. Aliexpress, ebay, topbikekit, greenbike kit etc,etc.
Match the controller current output so that the current value is slightly less then you battery continuous current rating.

Reactions: Markdd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT is cadence style PAS with 5 level of current power and not speed controlled, the PAS has no run on effect so one only needs cut offs if a throttle is fitted. The controllers are describes as torque simulation which means they se current control for a much better rider feel, one doesn't get the harsh fast acceleration that the crappier speed control systems usually give.
Power levels are 13%, 20%, 33%, 50% & 100%, though they aren't programmable they give a good for all riders. Max speed can be obtained in all levels so if one wants to just pedal a bit harder , these aren't TS systems so you don't get more proportionate speed for your input.
Personally I find about 80 -100w in PAS1 more then enough except for hills

If you have the room opt for a 9 fet controller if you have a lot of hills as the 6 fet ones do get warm and overheat eventually, that said the 6 fet on my commute town bike has been flawless with no hills to contest with.

There are about a dozen different displays to use, lcd3 or lcd4 are very good.

Markdd

Oct 25, 2021
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but my current system engages the drive when I peddle through the pas magnet sensor on the crank is this the same ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the same system, if the connector is a yellow and has a julet marking on it then it will be plug and play and won't need replacing. If it is a similar Higo connector from a bafang kit then it won't be compatible as the wire sequence differs.

Markdd

Oct 25, 2021
That’s brilliant thanks yes it’s a yellow pas 3 pin connector; if I give you the full story :) I bought a controller which happens to be a cheap kt one (by accident; just looking for the right connectors) and connected it to my existing system with the new battery so everything fitted great and I was greatly surprised that the display came on as attached image the throttle works fine but no amount of pedalling engaged the motor and clearly I have an engine light so instead of messing about I was just going to buy a matched controller and display

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The intelligent displays aren't compatible with KT so you will get some basic functions, if you already have a KT metal controller all you need is a KT display to connect to it.
Show a pic of your KT controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That controller should be fine, it will work with any KT lcd display and then you will get all of the parameter and settings use with KT display. The intelligent display just doens't have the correct programming for KT it would work though with Lishui controller.

I have tried in the past with my intelligent display from the old now defunct GSM mid drive with a KT controller, I did get throttle and PAS 1 but that was all . No PAS levels to change , voltage, watts or speed.
I also had 01E error which is comm's error which you also have on your display's screen.

So you can save a few quid by just buying a KT LCD if you want a minimalist discreet one then opt for the LCD4. As I say it has all the functions of its big brothers but just on a smaller screen.

Markdd

Oct 25, 2021
It always pays to ask your advice has been superb many many thanks kt display on the way cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you bought the KT cheap then you did well, £30 - £50 is about their ground and for the money there aren't any others on the market that are better.

Markdd

Oct 25, 2021
Yes I commute daily and don’t have a car so paid £62 for an lcd3 which I should have tomorrow from Amazon I quite like the idea of wired control or I would have opted for a cheaper model once again thanks