Help! Controller for AKM75 motor

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Hi, I have looked at several threads regarding this issue but my motor doesn't match the current spec on AKM own website as that indicates the motor cable exiting through the shaft. Mine has the cable coming out of the side of the axle. The forum threads all say the motor is sensorless but my motor has a 9 pin Julet connector and the extension cable that came with the motor has the 3 phase wires plus 6 extra tiny wires (similar to the ones on my other, sensored motors. The markings on the motor are BBB3626C. My question is: Is it sensorless, and if so should I buy the Luishi LSW-675 controller? I see on BMS Battery site that I can buy this with a KM 5S or a KM529 display. Can I trust BMS Battery on this as several posts have indicated they often give wrong advice.

Also, there are 6 threaded holes on the left side of the motor. Would they be for a disc brake? Again other, older posts say this motor is not disc compatible.

Many thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
BMSBattery are very trustworthy, though sometimes they can be a bit slow with batteries and motor-wheels. I wouldn't use that controller. I'd get one of these, which has better power algorithms and is generally better understood by forum members. I'm assuming 36V. You have to choose an LCD and anything else you want, like PAS and throttle. Total cost including shipping is £60 -£70 depending on the dollar rate. Don't try and save money by getting the LED panel because you can't access the settings with it.
If you want a bit lower power, there's the 12A version. You can adjust the current in the settings in both of them. Hardwarewise, they're probably identical.
Just another thought. If your motor is the one with the stepped hub, you want the 12A version.

Last edited:

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Thanks, but I am still confused. Just because I have a 9 pin plug does not necessarily mean there are sensors. Yes, it is a stepped hub and AKM say on their own website that it is sensorless. A thread from 2016 in ES Forum
states that only the Lishui controller will work with this motor not a KT one. BMS battery Lishui controller is the 15A one. Who to believe?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks, but I am still confused. Just because I have a 9 pin plug does not necessarily mean there are sensors. Yes, it is a stepped hub and AKM say on their own website that it is sensorless. A thread from 2016 in ES Forum
states that only the Lishui controller will work with this motor not a KT one. BMS battery Lishui controller is the 15A one. Who to believe?
Hub motors can be senored or unsensored.
If you have 8 or 9 motor wires then you have a sensored motor that needs a sinewave controller.
If you only have 3 phase wires and no other wiring at all then you have an unsensored motor it will need a squarewave controller.

Why would they fit a 9 pin motor wire/connector to a unsensored hub ?
To be sure open the motor and have a look.

This listing shows a sensored motor in Blue at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have a Sensorless Q75. It has a three-pin connector of the same type as the 9-pin, so it needs the three-pin lead to go with it.

If it's a new motor, it'll open very easily, so you can look inside. Remove one or two of the three countersunk screws and use the holes to unscrew the side-plate. Warming up the hub with a hot-air gum makes it come off a bit easier.

Alternatively, you can test the hall sensors with a 5v or supply or 3 AA cells. For that, you need the motor cable with the bullet and block connectors on the controller end or the 9-pin female connector with flying leads. Yours has the thin terminals, so find an old 5v charger and put the positive to the red wire and the negative to the black, then measure dc between the black and any of the other three whilst turning the motor backwards. If you see the 5v switching on and off, it has a hall sensor. If it stays at zero, you don't.

The Q75 is a copy of the AKM, but not necessarily identical.

This one says speed sensor and hall connector.

In this one, you can clearly see the 3-pin connector and the listing in the same font as the other one says "Sensorless", so there might be two versions or they're using the 9-pin connector to get the speed sensor wire.

These small motors don't run nearly so well sensorless, so if you have hall sensors, you should use them. It will be worth the trouble to prove whether you have them or not rather than speculating.

Last edited:

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
I can't get the hub open easily so I did the electrical test. No volt change so I suppose they have used the 9 pin plug to get the speed sensor wire. So I shall go with the KT Torque simulation sqaure wave controller. Handy actually as then I can get the same display as I use on my other bike with the XD. Less mental confusion.

I've also tried hooking it up to the system I have on my Airnimal Joey with a rear Xiongda XD 2 speed motor. This has a special KT sine wave controller for hall sensors. It works noisily for about 2 secs then goes backwards before stopping. So this is not very helpful.

Vfr400, are you suggesting the 12A controller to make sure I don't overpower the motor? I shall be using this motor as a replacement for my XD 2 speed on my 24" wheeled Arnimal Joey as I want to put that on another bike. When using the Airnimal on roads I rarely use more than level 3 (approx 200W in high speed mode) unless the hill is quite steep when I might use level 4 (250W) for a few minutes. I get off and use the walk button if the hill is really steep. Hence, I'd prefer the 15A max controller to give me that extra little power for a short time. Or is there another reason to limit it to 12A? I dare say the torque of the XD is higher than the AKM 75. Electronics was never my strong point although my soldering is improving ever so slightly...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
15A should be OK as you have 24" wheels as long as the motor isn't the high-speed (328rpm) version.
If the motor runs rough or has a rough band, experiment with different P01 settings. Start with 160, which is the value that fixed mine.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Many thanks. I have ordered both controllers. I can always use one on other bikes if anything goes wrong. The hub has 26 marked on it so fingers crossed it should be a slower one. It'll be ages before I get this up and running. Next step is to build the wheel and wait for everything to arrive...

Just Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Hi,
I have q75 with 3 pin connector and LSW-675 controller bought in 2016 from BMSBattery. Now I am planning to purchase q75 with disc brake mounts and am curious if it would work with my LSW-675. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32973559053.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.5c5e1ae0tIOkO9
Did you, LithiumFan found out if your motor works sensorless please?
Also I am curious about the disc brake rotor mount dimensions. I think I ll try to contact the seller to get some more info.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Hello Ville,
1st, my motor is an actual AKM75. It works with both the KT-T06 controllers I bought:
KT24/36SVPR-15A sine wave for sensored motor and
KT24/36ZWSRH-15A square wave for sensorless motor.

I didn't try the LSW one.

I tried the "sensored" one first. It worked at very low speeds, pulling a trailer full of potatoes uphill at slow speeds but when I tried it without the trailer it would start but then cut out.

So then I changed the controller to the square wave one. This also worked at low speeds, a bit noiser though. It did not have the hall sensor wires so I had to fiddle about to get the speed sensor to register on the display. It also cut out at higher speeds. I then had a brainwave...I tried changing the maximum speed in the set up menu. This did the trick and I settled at 45mph when the motor would cut out at 15.5mph! Very odd. This then worked fine but with an annoying whine.

Finally I changed back to the sine wave controller and everything is fine and a lot quieter too.

The only real annoyance was that TNT sent me a bill - £6 for the VAT plus £20+VAT handling charge, almost doubling the cost of my purchase. BEWARE. Not sure I would use PSW Power again for that reason.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi,
I have q75 with 3 pin connector and LSW-675 controller bought in 2016 from BMSBattery. Now I am planning to purchase q75 with disc brake mounts and am curious if it would work with my LSW-675. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32973559053.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.5c5e1ae0tIOkO9
Did you, LithiumFan found out if your motor works sensorless please?
Also I am curious about the disc brake rotor mount dimensions. I think I ll try to contact the seller to get some more info.
If you need a generic controller, buy KT, you can set the motor parameters from the LCD yourself.

Lishui controllers have motor parameters programmed in. You will need a setting file (usually in the form of xxxyyyzzz.lsh where xxxyyyzzz is the factory code on the label) and a tool to load it into the controller. Lishui controllers can still be used with a motor that it's not programmed for but the result is a noisier running motor.

Lishui USB Stick FPS2 programmer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Joy

Joy

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2020
Ciao Woosh potresti indicarmi dove poter comprare il cavo in foto Programmatore Lishui USB Stick FPS2 ??? Te ne sarei grato ‍♂☺

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ciao Woosh potresti indicarmi dove poter comprare il cavo in foto Programmatore Lishui USB Stick FPS2 ??? Te ne sarei grato ‍♂☺
I don't know.
Lishui gave it to me, I didn't buy it.

Reactions: Joy