Controller for both 48 and 36v Motor

my.motion

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Team,

Is it possible to have a controller that supports both my motors (200w-Milan2) and (1000w motor)?

I would like to be able to use my lifepo4 - 48v -15ah or SLA 36v 8Ah or 48v 12ah lipo

Where can I find such controller please?

What do i need to be looking for in the controller.

Any comments much appreciated

Regards

Motion

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Motion. Before anyone knowledgeable leaps in with a better suggestion, you might try sending an email to Kewin Ge (ecrazyman@gmail.com) with the same question. He seems to have useful stuff and replies promptly. Others on this forum have dealt with him.

Andy

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Thanks! Done!
Motion,

Whilst it is possible to get such a controller (& Keywin/ecrazyman has supplied them in the past, I think Tiberius has one), one thing you need to be aware of is making sure you cut off at the correct voltage.

Basically the way you get such a controller is to take a 48V controller, and set the Low Voltage Cutout (LVC) to the same as for a 36V controller (about 31V). So the controller will cut the power when the battery voltage reaches the LVC level 31V. This protects the battery from over-discharge which is VERY bad for the battery.

This approach is fine for the 36V battery, but for a 48V Lithium battery 31V is MUCH TOO LOW and will result in damage to the battery. So instead the BMS (battery management system) for the 48V battery needs to be able to cut the power if the voltage is too low (it can do this by either directly cutting the power or by activating the brake switches electronically).
The BMS in your 48V battery MAY already do this, but it MAY not and rely on the controller to do it for it. It's worth checking otherwise you may severely damage your 48V if you run it too low. You can build a circuit to do it yourself of course, do some research on Endless Sphere for an LVC circuit.

Of course you could ask Keywin to make it switchable LVC, I don't know if he does that though.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited: