Controller for viking freedom ebike

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi ,
I wonder if you could help me with this issue. I am looking for the controller for Viking freedom for my wife's bike.
Anyone knows where I can buy this part please ?
Thanks,
Ismael
I am sure that even if you are unable to source it, there are possibly a number of other controllers that can replace it.
And provided you are a reasonable electrical DIY person, don't worry, as someone here, reading the details, will be able to tell you of a suitable replacement, and any wiring differences there may be.
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BMSBattery in China sell a Lishui controller with display cost is $38 plus postage, one can't readily buy them otherwise as in the main they are OEM only.
Whether all the connections are correct only you will know by comparing both items.
Lishui work with Kingmeter displays but often they have to paired hence why they are sold as a combo package. A dealer with the software can programme them if they have the white data cable as in the BMSB pic.

LSW-675 36Volts 250Watts Sine Wave Controller with LCD Display Meter LCD No LCD (bmsbattery.com)

icm

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 10, 2021
I am sure that even if you are unable to source it, there are possibly a number of other controllers that can replace it.
And provided you are a reasonable electrical DIY person, don't worry, as someone here, reading the details, will be able to tell you of a suitable replacement, and any wiring differences there may be.
regards
Andy
Dear Andy,
Thanks for your feedback .
Yes , it would be great to know about a suitable replacement. My wife's is complaining about she uses the bike to go to work and is far away. :(

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Don't buy anything yet. You haven't given enough information. We need to know if your motor is sensored or sensorless. How many wires in the motor cable?

Why do you want a new controller? Have you found a fault that you tested as being in the controller?

icm

May 10, 2021
Don't buy anything yet. You haven't given enough information. We need to know if your motor is sensored or sensorless. How many wires in the motor cable?

Why do you want a new controller? Have you found a fault that you tested as being in the controller?
Hi ,
Sorry I am not an expert on this. I took my wife's bike to ebike shop in Cambridge. They diagnosed that the controller was the problem hence I am looking for it. They offered another option which was buying another system as they don't do viking bikes which was over£ 250 (controller and display for handle bar). I have attached a photo of the controller if that helps. I don't know how many cables it has but I can have a look tonight.
Thanks ,
Ismael

icm

May 10, 2021
Hi ,
Sorry I am not an expert on this. I took my wife's bike to ebike shop in Cambridge. They diagnosed that the controller was the problem hence I am looking for it. They offered another option which was buying another system as they don't do viking bikes which was over£ 250 (controller and display for handle bar). I have attached a photo of the controller if that helps. I don't know how many cables it has but I can have a look tonight.
Thanks ,
Ismael
I
Hi ,
Thanks ,
Ismael
Good morning ,
I have had a look at the controller that I need and it has 4 cables coming out from it. (3 grey and one black )
Can anyone advice please ?
regards,
Ismael

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Ismael,
Still not enough info I'm afraid.
The bike shops info has to be treated with suspiscion as they just want to sell you something - expensive too by the sounds of it.
What, exactly, is the fault on the bike. 'It's not working' doesn't give enough. What are the symptoms? Does it make a noise? Why did you take it to the bike shop?
Can you take a picture of the motor and any markings on it? Also, there may well be a connector near the motor, take a picture of that.
Can you show the cables and connectors coming out of the existing controller?
Do you know how old the bike is?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let's take a step back.

First of all, we are not Viking technicians with computers full of part numbers. What we are is guys that know about bikes like yours and how to fix them. We don't get anything for our time. We're just guys on the internet that like to help people.

There are several versions of nearly every bike and we have no idea which one you have. The only way we can find out is from you. If you don't cooperate, we can't help.

Whenever trying to solve a problem, the first stage is to define and confirm what it is. The next stage is to gather all the facts and evaluate them.

All we have is that you believe that you want a new controller for your bike. Personally, I'd be very nervous about telling you to spend £50 on a new one without confirming that you needed one.

If you want to solve your problem quickly and efficiently, please tell us the whole story about how your bike stopped working. When the guy in the shop said you need a new controller, did he test it and identify a specific fault? How did he come to his conclusion?

In the meantime, please show a photo of your controller, which shows every individual connector and wire attached to it. No birds nest please, and no wires or connectors all sitting on top of each other.

Last edited:

icm

May 10, 2021
Hi Ismael,
Still not enough info I'm afraid.
The bike shops info has to be treated with suspiscion as they just want to sell you something - expensive too by the sounds of it.
What, exactly, is the fault on the bike. 'It's not working' doesn't give enough. What are the symptoms? Does it make a noise? Why did you take it to the bike shop?
Can you take a picture of the motor and any markings on it? Also, there may well be a connector near the motor, take a picture of that.
Can you show the cables and connectors coming out of the existing controller?
Do you know how old the bike is?
[/QUOTE ]
Dear Benjahmin,
Thanks for your feedback.
The bike didn't work . I mean , there was not power and it work just as normal bike. The display on the handle bar works showing the speed but when you push the button to send power nothing happens. There was not noise simply it didn't work or send power to the motor
So I decided to take the bike to the ebike shop in Cambridge . They charged just to diagnosed the bike £70 and they told that the controller was broken and needs to be replaced. This shop offered to me a solution which I refused because was very expensive . About £300 pounds for a new display for the handlebar plus the controller. As was told that the motor at the front wheel is fine . The bike is not even 3 year old
I have attached a few pictures . Let me know if you need anything else.
Regards,
ismael

Attachments

icm

May 10, 2021
Let's take a step back.

First of all, we are not Viking technicians with computers full of part numbers. What we are is guys that know about bikes like yours and how to fix them. We don't get anything for our time. We're just guys on the internet that like to help people.

There are several versions of nearly every bike and we have no idea which one you have. The only way we can find out is from you. If you don't cooperate, we can't help.

Whenever trying to solve a problem, the first stage is to define and confirm what it is. The next stage is to gather all the facts and evaluate them.

All we have is that you believe that you want a new controller for your bike. Personally, I'd be very nervous about telling you to spend £50 on a new one without confirming that you needed one.

If you want to solve your problem quickly and efficiently, please tell us the whole story about how your bike stopped working. When the guy in the shop said you need a new controller, did he test it and identify a specific fault? How did he come to his conclusion?

In the meantime, please show a photo of your controller, which shows every individual connector and wire attached to it. No birds nest please, and no wires or connectors all sitting on top of each other.
Let's take a step back.

Hi again,
I do appreciate your time on this problem with the bike and I do apologise for not getting my meaning across . I have not idea about ebikes.
My wife uses the bikes to go to work 3 times a week . All of a sudden the bike stop working. I mean there was no power sent to the motor. There was not noise or anything just stop working. The display in the handlbar shows numbers and speed but when you push the button to send electric power nothing happens. So I booked an appointment at ebike shop in Cambridge where I live. They told me that the problem is with the controller . Everything else works well apparently . I paid a good money for the diagnosis of the bike so I took for granted that the problem is the controller . They offered me to buy a new controller from another make with the new display which was over £300 and I refused. They also told me that If I found a new controller they will replace the controller for free( considering that I had already paid £70 for the diagnosis) I understand that the tested and identified the issue with the controller.
I hope this helps.
thanks,
ismael

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You've given lots of details, but it's not the details we need, unfortunately.

Firstly, the circumstances when it failed. Was she riding the bike? If so, was she going uphill, downhill? Did she stop at traffic lights, then it wouldn't go or what?

Can I make a suggestion about the Cambridge shop? What about ringing them and asking them what they found, how and why they came to the conclusion they did? maybe they did a specific test and found a specific fault, but that would be very unusual. Most would check the battery voltage and if it was OK but the bike not working, they'd blame the controller. We need to be sure, otherwise you'll spend money and go to a lot of trouble to solve a problem that doesn't exist, leaving your with the real problem unsolved and a bike that still doesn't work.

We know that all this is new to you and it seems confusing because it's like Chinese writing, but it really is simple and we can guide you through how to find the problem and fix it.

Thanks for the pictures, but you sent 2 we already had and the other two show the same thing. none of them show the connectors. Follow the wires until you come to a connector, unplug each and show what pins they have if they're the moulded type, otherwise if they're the block type, show the wires as well.

There should be a motor connector on the left front fork. Wiggle it apart, count the pins ( normally 3 or 9) and push it back in all the way until the edge of the outer part meets the marked line on the inner one. don't just push it in until you think it's tight.

icm

May 10, 2021
I have spoken to my wife . She said she used the bike during the day to go to work and went well. Removed the battery to charge at night and then the day after she connected the battery as she usually does and it didn't work any more. I did also tried the bike and check the connectors before taking the bike to the shop. So it happens all of a sudden.
I have phoned the Bike shop in Cambridge and I am currently waiting for the reply to the question how did they came to the conclusion that the controller is faulty. I will let you know as soon as they reply.
Attached are the new photos for the connectors at the front and at the rear .
Kind regards,
Ismael

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As I thought, you have a sensorless motor.

OK, lets wait to see what the shop says. it'll be interesting because you can't harm a controller by taking the battery off. If you had said, it cut out after going up a long steep hill, or you said that the motor was making weird noises and then stopped, that would be the controller.

One more thing: Is there any sort of control or button on your handlebars to adjust the power or is it just pedal and you get a fixed amount of power?

icm

May 10, 2021
As I thought, you have a sensorless motor.

OK, lets wait to see what the shop says. it'll be interesting because you can't harm a controller by taking the battery off. If you had said, it cut out after going up a long steep hill, or you said that the motor was making weird noises and then stopped, that would be the controller.

One more thing: Is there any sort of control or button on your handlebars to adjust the power or is it just pedal and you get a fixed amount of power?
Hi again,
My wife didn't notice anything last day she used . She came back from work ;removed the battery to charge it . The next day put the battery on the bike and never work again.
The bike shop didn't call me back today so I will try again tomorrow.
I have attached the pic of the control in the handle bar . I put the battry myself right now but nothing happens.
Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have spoken to my wife . She said she used the bike during the day to go to work and went well. Removed the battery to charge at night and then the day after she connected the battery as she usually does and it didn't work any more. I did also tried the bike and check the connectors before taking the bike to the shop. So it happens all of a sudden.
As already mentioned simply removing said battery to recharge and then reconnecting said charged battery should have not affect the bike working.
1. Have you or can you double check with a meter that the battery is in a good charged state ?
2. a, Is a throttle fitted ? b, If so does this work ?
3. One assumes a pedal sensor and magnet disc is fitted for Pedal Assist, check that the magnet disc behind the front chain ring isn't damaged also check the sensor head is about 1mm gap.
4. Now the motor connector has been disconnected make sure it is aligned and both parts are fully pushed together to that embossed raised line with the arrow. Now try the motor again, sometimes if the connector isn't fully home it can give the problem you are seeing. It only needs to be slightly apart by 2 or 3mm and contact will be poor or null.

The above are simple common checks to make just to rule out very basic faults.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A pet hate of mine is seeing cable ties pinching wiring as yours is to the front fork. Any cable can be damaged by such an act, ideally the cable tie should be looser but enough to hold it in place.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a good sign that the LCD is working. it normally means that there's nothing wrong with the battery.

To go further, you will need a meter. Do you have one or access to one?

icm

May 10, 2021
Morning I have removed a couple of cable ties in case they were damaging the wiring and put new ones more loose.
Unfortunately , I don't have a meter. Is this something to measure the currents?
I am going to call this morning again to the bike shop and try to find out more information.
Following the steps above mentioned from Nealh.
1) I believe the battery is ok . At least the display in the handle bar shows that is fully charged.
2)The throttle is in the display of the handle bar. (see the picture I sent ) I tried the bike last night and the throttle goes from 0 to 5 which is the maximum speed but nothing happens. However , the display show the speed that the bike is moving.
3) I haven't had the time to check this bit. Not sure if this bike got a pedal sensor or magnet disc. At least I am not aware of it. I will have a look tonight.
4) The connectors are easy to connect in this bike . Facing the arrows . I will double check this tonight.

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As the walk assist to 4mph /6km/h isn't working then it may suggest something else is wrong and either the controller or a connection coming out of it. The only way to know this is by carrying out wire testing, how easy may depend on the type of connectors used exiting the controller.
We really need to see some nice clear pics of the controller and all the wiring/ connectors without the bag in the way, so far only controller pic with label along with non vague pic of three cables. One of the cables is a data cable with a white block on the end, my guess is that the other two terminate with waterproof connections.