controller replacement advice wanted.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hi all, Finally got round to sorting out my recumbent tandem. It's got a Crystalyte 408 Journey 36v 20a front hub motor. It had been cutting out, a switch off and on cured it. I found that the 3 Anderson connectors on the phase wires had been smashed and held back together with tape! I've now replaced these. I presume a break in connection of a phase wire/s caused the controller to shut off.
The PAS sensor isn't working, so no assist on pedalling, thought the throttle works fine.
So, I'd like to replace the controller, perhaps with this KT36v/20a - https://torquetech.co.uk/collections/controllers-lcd-displays/products/ebike-sensored-brushless-motor-controller-dc-36v-48v-500w-6-fet-20a-kt-sine-wave?variant=11443745161263. It does regen braking but doesn't mention the throttle connection.
I've just fitted a new throttle - the old one activated with a slight nudge!!! The original kit is of an age where a throttle is legal. I'd put a new pas on as a matter of course.
One thing I'm not clear about is connecting the motor wires correctly, 3 phase wires and 5 in a metal connector - I don't think there is a speed sensor, perhaps I can fit a separate speed sensor.

Any thoughts or advice before I buy and fit welcome.

On a positive note, I've just fitted a woosh brompton kit to the brompton, it's great, there's a goodly bit of torque with that 16" wheel. I like it.
The recumbent tandem is to take swmbo out on, she has Narcolepsy with Cataplexy so can't ride an ordinary bike or tandem, she'll be safe sat there stoking, feet strapped in with toe clips.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Instead of telling us your life history, just tell us what you want to know or ask a question.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My life history would be far more exciting I can assure you, even the censored version without the pictures!
The controller is ancient, has a Dutch label on it. Kit may well be around 2010. DD motor works on the throttle, pedal assist doesn't work.

Can a throttle be fitted to a KT controller?
Can't see it in the spec list.

How do I know which phase wire is which, same for the 3 hall sensor wires? 53156
5 pins

There is currently no speed sensor wire to the motor, can I wire in a separate sensor?