controller upgrade

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi i have recently upgraded my rear wheel to a 48v 1000w motor and upgraded my battery to a 36v i have recently seen a contoller on pswpower
and i am wondering if it will do for my bike as my wheel has the hall sensor connector and three phase wires and the controller has only the three phase wires. https://www.pswpower.com/products/36v-48v-1000w-1500w-brushless-dc-torque-simulation-square-ebike-electric-bicycle-hub-motor-controller-with-right-output-33 any advice would be greatly appreciated.Also could anyone recommend a controller to go with it if the controller would be ok

Many Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to give a lot more details about what you have. Which battery and what's it's rated current? Which controller do you already have? What are you hoping to achieve by the upgrade? Which motor do you have and what is it's max RPM or Kv?

Reactions: gazza19

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
You need to give a lot more details about what you have. Which battery and what's it's rated current? Which controller do you already have? What are you hoping to achieve by the upgrade? Which motor do you have and what is it's max RPM or Kv?
Hi vfr400 I had the battery made he said it’s 36v 15 amps this is a pic of the wheel and controller

Attachments

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi vfr400 I had the battery made he said it’s 36v 15 amps this is a pic of the wheel and controller
Any advice anyone as my controller is getting hot so need to know if that controller would work so I can order also what dispay would go with it

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your controller is running hot because it's obly rated at 7A, but because of the motor's speed rating and lack of torque, it's running at maximum current (15A) most of the time. The best solution would be to get a new motor rather than a controller.

If you want to carry on with that motor, a 22A or higher controller would be better, but then you might run into battery problems. Show us the listing for your battery if you want us to check.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Your controller is running hot because it's obly rated at 7A, but because of the motor's speed rating and lack of torque, it's running at maximum current (15A) most of the time. The best solution would be to get a new motor rather than a controller.

If you want to carry on with that motor, a 22A or higher controller would be better, but then you might run into battery problems. Show us the listing for your battery if you want us to check.
Would that controller work tho on pswpower or would you be able to suggest one vfr400 and would I have to change parameter settings as I’ve only just changed the motor has my other one broke I have put threads on before about cyclematic powerplus and you suggested what controller to get as my other motor was only 250w
You need to ask your battery builder the continuous current rating of the bms he's fitted in it.
just asked him and he said 15amps

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
just asked him and he said 15amps
In that case your battery will only run the controller you already have. To run that motor well with the 35 amp controller you linked to, you need a 48v battery with cells and bms capable of supplying 40 amps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36v battery running a 1000w hub will be pretty useless.
You will need one of the em3ev batteries sold by eclipse bikes like the 25R celled one which can give the current output required.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
36v battery running a 1000w hub will be pretty useless.
You will need one of the em3ev batteries sold by eclipse bikes like the 25R celled one which can give the current output required.
So basically I need another battery and controller to run that motor

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
It depends what you're trying to achieve - range, hill-climbing, speed, efficiency, weight, etc. The one you have is bad for weight, range, efficiency and hill-climbing.
i do 16 mile a day to work and back with some hills been looking at some 36v 500w kits on ebay but not too sure what to do so any advise or links to wheels or kits would very much be appreciated

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
That's more or less the same as what you already have. It's a large heavy direct drive motor, and the controller that's supplied with it is really crappy. Pedal assist will be useless because there's no way to regulate the power from it.
help me then please lol dont want to be spending too much as ive allready spent a lot will have to try sell all this to recuperat some cash back any links will be greatly appreciated need to get back on it as soon as i can