Controllers and batteries XT60 connectors...

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Is there any industry standard for whether the XT60 plugs on controllers and batteries are male on one and female on another?

From what I can tell they are usually male on the controller and female on the battery, right?

I saw a photo of a Greenergy kit showing the controller box having a female XT60 on it - but according to photos online of that exact same controller YCSV126-001-48T, every image I found shows it has a male XT60 on it.

I just wondered if the seller has messed up showing the controller with a female XT60 on it, when it's an image saying it's a YCSV126-001-48T that has a male connector?

This is the image on the sellers page:

That model controller has a male XT60 in reality, not a female one as being shown in the image!

I just need to know if I need a battery with a female XT60, presumably so and I can just ignore the sellers photo showing a female connector on the controller because it's actually likely to be male when it turns up?

This is assuming they supply that exact controller but that's the model they are showing in their photo. It's part of a complete kit.

Cheers folks.

Last edited:

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Cheers vfr400. It's too late now anyway, ordered a female battery lol

EDIT: They got back to me within 12 hours and confirmed the controller is male going to a battery female. Once again I can be at peace with the world lol

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cheers vfr400. It's too late now anyway, ordered a female battery lol

EDIT: They got back to me within 12 hours and confirmed the controller is male going to a battery female. Once again I can be at peace with the world lol

It depends what you call male and female. These sort of connectors have male mouldings with female pins and vice versa. The convention is based on the idea that it should be impossible to accidentally short the live pins, which is why you should always choose a connector with holes on the battery or power side, otherwise you can get big sparks and damage when the pins touch anything metal when not connected. The picture above shows them the wrong way round IMHO, though the pins are at least shrouded, which means that shorting is less likely.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
It depends what you call male and female. These sort of connectors have male mouldings with female pins and vice versa. The convention is based on the idea that it should be impossible to accidentally short the live pins, which is why you should always choose a connector with holes on the battery or power side, otherwise you can get big sparks and damage when the pins touch anything metal when not connected. The picture above shows them the wrong way round IMHO, though the pins are at least shrouded, which means that shorting is less likely.
Yep, it does show them in reverse compared to what that same seller themselves sell, which is a bit odd. I very nearly bought a male battery based on that image.

I also got confused for a time looking at XT60 connectors with the male plugs = female pins / female plugs = male pins and worked out they are (usually lol) talking about the pins themselves, when mentioning what's male/female.

I noticed on close ups of of the XT60, the square part has positive stamped in the plastic and the rounded side has negative. As long as anyone soldering them adheres to that, that's a good thing, with all the different adapter cables that exist. I never realised the plugs have that labelled.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
As said, the connector least likely to be accidentally shorted out should be on the live (battery) side.