Conversion Kit for Kona Ute

Peter Kinnaird

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2017
WR74JX
I am wondering if anyone here has a Kona Ute and if so has made a good e bike conversion?
For the uninitiated, the Ute is a long wheelbase bike with a large rear load bed My initial thoughts favour a front wheel motor kit, but I am wondering if a 250 w motor might be a bit underpowered given this already quite large lump of a bike should ideally be powered sufficient to match it's load capability. In that respect it seems an ideal candidate bike for conversion. Any thoughts?

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
Hi there,

I do not actually own a kona ute but after a quick google search i know the basics of what you mean. I Totally agree with you that the 250w will probably be under powered for what it looks like that bikes usage is to be honest. you could easily get a 500w or 1000w conversion for it in a direct drive rear motor conversion which will add more torque for you to get the power you would need. battery type depends on how much clearance is actually there for a frame battery, failing that you can get a rack type battery at the rear and still keep the capability to use it for load. I have found my rear drive to feel loads better in terms of balance to a front drive motor also. As for the other components to the conversion they will be much easier to deal with. personally i would say a 500w will give you the best combination of torque and range in terms of miles from charge. The conversion i have done was through Cyclotricity, had one of their bikes for commuting for the best part of the year now as well. Hope this has been a little help for you at least!

Ross

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you could easily get a 500w or 1000w conversion for it in a direct drive rear motor conversion which will add more torque for you to get the power you would need.
direct motors are not efficient for lows speed hill climbing.
Rear geared hub motors are better for hill climbing. Take the Bafang SWX02 in the Woosh 48V rear hub kit for example, its internal gearbox has a reduction ratio of 5:1. Its speed after the gearbox is of course 5x lower, that produces 5x torque after the gearbox.
It is rated 250W but can climb steeper hills better than a 1000W direct drive motor.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

Peter Kinnaird

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2017
WR74JX
Hi there,

I do not actually own a kona ute but after a quick google search i know the basics of what you mean. I Totally agree with you that the 250w will probably be under powered for what it looks like that bikes usage is to be honest. you could easily get a 500w or 1000w conversion for it in a direct drive rear motor conversion which will add more torque for you to get the power you would need. battery type depends on how much clearance is actually there for a frame battery, failing that you can get a rack type battery at the rear and still keep the capability to use it for load. I have found my rear drive to feel loads better in terms of balance to a front drive motor also. As for the other components to the conversion they will be much easier to deal with. personally i would say a 500w will give you the best combination of torque and range in terms of miles from charge. The conversion i have done was through Cyclotricity, had one of their bikes for commuting for the best part of the year now as well. Hope this has been a little help for you at least!

Ross
Ross
Very many thanks for your reply and advice. I think you have confirmed my suspicion that a 250w motor might be a bit weak for this application. And once you step up to 500 w it seems a rear drive set up becomes the only option. I will check out the supplier you mention. Thanks again.
Peter

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't get a direct drive motor, especially a 500w one. You need a geared hub-motor or a crank/chain-drive motor.