Conversion Kit for Marin East Peak

davidenco

Just Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Wirral
Hi. I'm new to the pedelec scene and I am looking for a conversion kit for my Marin East Peak. My bike frame looks like this:

http://www.askisaac.com/images/bikebside.jpg

When it comes to kits, I don't know what will fit my bike due to the non-standard frame. By non-standard, I mean "normal" bikes have straight bar frames and middle sections making it simple to mount kits but with my frame I'm just not sure. It does have bottle bolts on the top frame near to the front and on the bottom near to the crank, but whether that leaves enough room for a battery to be mounted, I just don't know.

What kit is better, mid or rear drive? I heard the mid-drive offers better performance which appeals to me over the rear-drive. Cost-wise, I am looking to spend £500+ but less than £1500.

But before I get into specific kits, I need to know whether you think my frame would support a kit?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How far, how fast ?
Battery fitting limited, front top bar will give a high CofG , only other option is a rear mount using a tool /saddle bag with a more bespoke battery.
Rear drop outs don't look to suitable for a hub so best option is probably a mid drive BBS though it won't be a tight fit to the down tube due to the cable runs.

Last edited:

davidenco

Just Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Wirral
How far, how fast ?
Battery fitting limited, front top bar will give a high CofG , only other option is a rear mount using a tool /saddle bag with a more bespoke battery.
Rear drop outs don't look to suitable for a hub so best option is probably a mid drive BBS though it won't be a tight fit to the down tube due to the cable runs.
Would it be better to get a complete bike instead of a kit? I'll be doing 20 to 25 miles a day and speed wise, not sure. I'll hopefully be pedalling most of the way, it's mainly something for the hills of North Wales.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A ready made bike may be a good option but all will be 36v and limited to under 18mph and most 15.5. Under 1500 Oxygen bikes mtb with semi integrated battery.
Or a different bike with a decent triangle fitted with a BBS and a 15ah HL battery.
If a road bike then take a look at the Woosh Karoo also the Kudos range.
For hill work ideally a crank drive or Hub drive with bpm/cst motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

What kit is better, mid or rear drive? I heard the mid-drive offers better performance which appeals to me over the rear-drive. Cost-wise, I am looking to spend £500+ but less than £1500.
Don't believe rubbish that you read on the internet or anywhere else. Most people that spout this bullsh!t have limited experience and knowledge. Nearly all the high performance bikes use hub-motors.