Converting Specialized Crosstail

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
I'm about to purchase either a Specialized Crosstail Disc or Sport Disc with the main difference between the two being Hydraulic brakes.

The decision between the two is going to depend on how easy/pricey it'll be to convert them. My max budget is £500. I am however not overly keen on installing it myself - my electrical knowledge is pretty much non existent so would probably be looking to pay someone to install it.

So my first question is will getting the bike with Hydraulic brakes end up being a complete pain? My second is general advice on a kit or installers in the Essex area.

My requirement for getting an e-bike is to avoid using the car for the morning commute to the train station. Being quite overweight (17st) and the journey being mostly up hill I don;t want the 2 mile journey to the station to be a sweaty one. My eventual intention is to do the journey without electrical assistance and to return the bike back to stock.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A decent kit inc battery will cost £500 and fitting may be another £100 on top.
I recently got a Big bear kit with battery off Flea bay from Cycleeze and upgraded the controller and brake cut offs bringing it to £445.

If you buy one of the plug and play kits you don't need leccy knowhow as all you do is plug in the moulded connectors even the woosh kits are easy. If you ask Andrew at Woosh he will cut the wiring and fit all the connectors for you if you let him know the cable lengths if you buy one of their kits.
As you are in Essex go to Woosh in Southend and they probably will fit a kit for you.

Hydraulic brakes are good much better then cable but adapting cut offs to work needs a bit of thought unless you buy a BBS for which you can buy HDB cut offs.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks Nash. I did speak to someone at woosh but they won't install on a bike with hydraulic brakes. Not sure that they provide a 700c wheel either.

Is there a certain kit/motor I need to get it to work with HDB?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bafang BBS kits can be fitted with hdb cut offs these have to be purchased as an extra, other wise all kits can be used you just have to be a bit creative to make small mods to make cut offs work.
if you decide not to use a throttle then it is not necessary to use cut offs as primarily they are there to enable throttles to be cut encase of one sticking in the on position.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
I didn't realise the BBS was a mid-drive kit. I don't really want to go down that route.

So if i want to go down the hub route what kind of options are there for using hydraulic brakes? I'm prepared to pay more if it makes it easier.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the best option is to buy hydraulic brakes with built-in sensors.
The problem is cost.
Woosh sell a pair of hydraulic brakes with sensor for £75 + postage.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
Trex, i have to say that is a bit of a surprise to me when the discussion i had on Saturday seemed to suggest hydraulic brakes were a complete no go. I've sent them an email.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
Trex as the bike will already have hydraulic disc brakes do you know if the whole brake would need replacing or if just the part that contains the sensor will need to? I take it is also ok to just add the sensor to the back brakes and leave the front stock?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this is a proper hydraulic brake lever with brake sensor:

You can keep the calipers but the levers need replacing.
It's not difficult to fit but nobody seems to sell Tektro hydraulic levers with sensor.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
Does anyone have a recommendation of where i can get a similar hub kit to what Woosh are providing in the UK?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxydrive do nice kits with intergrated controllers or look to see what Panda have other wise for the money the Woosh 20a bpm is damn good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are the after market Bafang cut offs same aer Eclipse sell.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this is how to fit a HDB cutoff switch but it ruins the look of your bike.

Pedronomix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2015
Dalkey Dublin Ireland
Hi Richardadc I am doing the same, see my post of today. one of my questions about cut-offs/disc brakes has been answered here I see :) I am using a 26" front wheel kit, though the bike has 700 x45c tyres now!! As my 1000w motor is front wheel mounted I am concerned about the situation regarding a use of a proper torque arm on the front fork/axle mount, have you decided on this?

Cheers

pedro

D

Deleted member 4366

1000w motor in 700C forks sounds very dodgy to me - even if properly done. You might just get away wiyh it if your forks are steel.

Reactions: Pedronomix

Pedronomix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2015
Dalkey Dublin Ireland
1000w motor in 700C forks sounds very dodgy to me - even if properly done. You might just get away wiyh it if your forks are steel.
I am an ignorant newbie to this scene, so can I ask you to elucidate on this. I am genuinely anxious to learn from the expertise/generosity of others.

Thanks
Pedro