Converting to belt drive

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Hi, I have a Cube SUV hybrid pro, (8 speed hub gear, chain drive) which also came at the time as a Hybrid SL, which had a belt drive. Both had the Bosch mid drive at the time (2015 /16/17 model years)
The frame has a link to enable the belt fitting.
Question is, how easy would it be to change to a belt drive? Do the belt drive sprockets slip straight onto the bosch splines? same for the 8 speed hub gear? Also, where can I pick up the spare parts for the conversion!
Thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Virtually impossible unless you want to start cutting metal. You can't fit a belt drive to a bike with a normal chainstay because there's no way to get the belt on without cutting either the belt or the chainstay. Belt drive bikes have a removable piece or wierd gull-arm type frames or bems at the back instead of a triangle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Virtually impossible unless you want to start cutting metal. You can't fit a belt drive to a bike with a normal chainstay because there's no way to get the belt on without cutting either the belt or the chainstay. Belt drive bikes have a removable piece or wierd gull-arm type frames or bems at the back instead of a triangle.
OP said 'The frame has a link to enable the belt fitting. ' so surely that aspect will be OK?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
If it is an alfine/nexus hub you can swap the rear cog, do not know about the bosch end, but only if you have deep pockets as the belts and sprockets are very expensive and know exactly what you need first .The frame size also effects the number of teeth on the belt and it has to be precise to less than the mm and run dead straight :rolleyes: so possible but not practical
PS the frame twangs out when you split the joint :eek: and you require extra hands to put it back

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
I had the Sturmey Archer IGH (5 speed belt drive), my Bafang 1000w literally tore the IGH in half! I changed it out for a normal 9 speed chain and cassette gears and it’s perfect now. I would advise against anything belt unless you research it and know what you’re doing. There are numerous others with the same or similar horror stories of the same bike set up on the EBR forum. I’d say lower power would be ok but you’d need a proper tested for belts frame to be safe.

VFR400 is correct about the frame needing to be split or built completely different to suit a belt drive system, you also get belts now that split then rejoin for normal frames. Most need the frame to be strengthened from birth ,as normal bikes (conversions) twist too much during riding which throws the belt drive out of sync. It’s a royal PITA!!

From anything I learned during my time having a belt drive, conversion rarely works and is a money pit. The difference between belt and normal chain are so minimal, like nothing a normal rider would notice. Maybe a pro rider would save an extra 5 grams or go 1/2 a mile an hour faster or something minimal like that.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I’d say stay clear. Hope this helps..

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am not sure I would bother. Chains on a rear hub geared bike benefit from a straight chain line and should last ages and be cheap to replace/mend which belts are not.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I am not sure I would bother. Chains on a rear hub geared bike benefit from a straight chain line and should last ages and be cheap to replace/mend which belts are not.
Chains, even straight one, still stretch, rattle, rust, and spray oil around though. I love my belt drive.. But if you want one, buy one, don't try an aftermarket bodge conversion.

If the frame was designed with belt as an option, then maybe a conversion will work, but there's a big expense in the 'maybe not' possibility.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi, I have a Cube SUV hybrid pro, (8 speed hub gear, chain drive) which also came at the time as a Hybrid SL, which had a belt drive. Both had the Bosch mid drive at the time (2015 /16/17 model years)
The frame has a link to enable the belt fitting.
Question is, how easy would it be to change to a belt drive? Do the belt drive sprockets slip straight onto the bosch splines? same for the 8 speed hub gear? Also, where can I pick up the spare parts for the conversion!
Thanks!
If your bike shares the same frame, motor and rear hub as the belt model, then it's feasible that you could fit the sprockets and belt to your bike. I would try and find the part nos. from a Cube dealer. They are most likely supplied by Gates.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Thanks all.
Yes, its a common frame with the belt drive version of the bike, so has the split downward chainstay.

Guess I will have to find a friendly Cube dealer, unfortunately most shops will have youngsters with a "why would you want to do that" attitude, not knowing that sometimes a customer will have more engineering knowledge than they can ever hope to have.

I run my current gearing with an extra tooth on the front end, works well, but yes, agreed I will need to be careful with gearing on a belt as seem to be less of a selection of lengths and sprockets.

Cheers.

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
Thanks all.
Yes, its a common frame with the belt drive version of the bike, so has the split downward chainstay.

Guess I will have to find a friendly Cube dealer, unfortunately most shops will have youngsters with a "why would you want to do that" attitude, not knowing that sometimes a customer will have more engineering knowledge than they can ever hope to have.

I run my current gearing with an extra tooth on the front end, works well, but yes, agreed I will need to be careful with gearing on a belt as seem to be less of a selection of lengths and sprockets.

Cheers.
When I did the change from belt drive to chain I only had to change the crank sprocket, trigger shifter, rear wheel and obviously the belt. It sounds like you will be very much the same but the other way around. I had to change the rear wheel as my IGH was a different spoke set up so I just got a whole new wheel with the cassette installed and already set up. It was real easy. Pretty much “plug & play”. If your bike is already made for belts and chains you’ll be good.

Good luck with the change

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Chains, even straight one, still stretch, rattle, rust, and spray oil around though. I love my belt drive.. But if you want one, buy one, don't try an aftermarket bodge conversion.

If the frame was designed with belt as an option, then maybe a conversion will work, but there's a big expense in the 'maybe not' possibility.
Most of those complaints about chains, are only true if owned by a neglectful individual. Eventually, a chain will need replacement. The roller chain is a wonderful invention.

Reactions: mike killay

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
You are welcome to it. I have had both over the years, and prefer the belt. Yes, I can stop my chain rusting by regular oiling, but that just worsens the 'sprays oil around' problem. Stretch and rattle I have never found a solution for. Belts are silent.. Try one.

Yes, you need a frame designed for it, and you need hub gears. Oil / grease you don't need, nor a chainguard.

Reactions: Jasebabe

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I have a Belt drive and a chain drive.

Much prefer the Gates Carbon Drive, so smooth and quiet, no maintenance at all, no oil etc.

I'm looking for a belt capable frame to convert my Mid Drive over.

Cube would be your best bet, Gates have a fitment guide if you google it, it's in PDF format iirc.

Reactions: Jasebabe

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The cube hyde fitted with the gates system will not take a mid drive the two bolt lumps under the bottom bracket get in the way of the motor case [ even contemplated cut shut and weld but with out the eccentric bottom bracket it would fit but leave no way to tension the belt]

Jasebabe

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2023
Most of those complaints about chains, are only true if owned by a neglectful individual. Eventually, a chain will need replacement. The roller chain is a wonderful invention.
For "neglectful individual" read someone who wants to wear chinos without worrying about getting them oily, doesn't want to faff around oiling chains, adjusting them, changing them etc

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Veer do a belt drive that joins together, on their website they show a biker with horizontal dropouts. I imagine with some bodging you could get it to work on a bike with vertical dropouts, maybe use a chain tensioner arrangement. One idea might be to add washers each side of the chain tensioner wheel to keep it in place, the belt might slip on the tensioner wheel causing drag and slippage. Somebody with a 3d printer could probably print a replacement wheel using their belt pattern.

Last edited:

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Veer do a belt drive that joins together, on their website they show a biker with horizontal dropouts. I imagine with some bodging you could get it to work on a bike with vertical dropouts, maybe use a chain tensioner arrangement. One idea might be to add washers each side of the chain tensioner wheel to keep it in place, the belt might slip on the tensioner wheel causing drag and slippage. Somebody with a 3d printer could probably print a replacement wheel using their belt pattern.
If it is an alfine/nexus hub you can swap the rear cog, do not know about the bosch end, but only if you have deep pockets as the belts and sprockets are very expensive and know exactly what you need first .The frame size also effects the number of teeth on the belt and it has to be precise to less than the mm and run dead straight :rolleyes: so possible but not practical
PS the frame twangs out when you split the joint :eek: and you require extra hands to put i

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
just wondering is it not a big flaff if you have to remove the rear wheel for any reason , especially out in the middle of nowhere