Corratec LifeS AP5 - looking for opinions

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
20" non-folding electric bike which seems to receive good reviews. I like the geometry, but this doesn't seem to be a best way to choose the bike. It comes with Bosch Active Line motor.

My main question is how reliable it is likely to be? Here (Warwickshire) it is not easy to find a workshop that will happily service electric bikes they don't sell. Is it likely to be difficult to repair (find components?) Full specifications are here: https://www.corratec.com/bikes/e-bikes/corratec-life-s/bike/ap5-bk25362/ I am going to use it mainly during the bad weather. There are quite a few hills around, I am not very heavy (a little under 60kg) and not very tall - about 5'6".

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Nice looking bike imho. Corratec are not a well known brand over here but specs seem fairly standard for German Bosch motored bikes. No reason to think it wouldn’t be reliable. After warranty expires some would argue cost of motor and battery related issues are very expensive for Bosch components and would advise bikes with more standard off the shelf parts. There are a number of more mainstream brands (Tern, Cube, KTM and others) with similar looking models. If your local bike shops sell those brands I would look at those first. Alternatively, the Woosh Rambletta bears a passing resemblance for a fraction of the price.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
To me "mainstream" means "more likely to be stolen" either for components or for selling.
I’d be surprised if there was any difference in likelihood of theft between different Bosch motored bikes but I could be wrong. If theft is a major concern I’d definitely be looking more at the Woosh Rambletta.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Here (Warwickshire) it is not easy to find a workshop that will happily service electric bikes they don't sell. Is it likely to be difficult to repair (find components?)
It's not all bad news: Ebco are the main Corratec people in the UK, and are themselves based in your own home county:

"We work hard to develop superb e-bikes for our own brand EBCO especially suited for the UK market and also distribute Corratec one of Germany`s leading Technical e-bike brands all backed up (through our retailers) with a full warranty and service centre at our Warwick headquarters."

EBCO Ltd: 5,Pegasus House, Olympus Avenue, Warwick CV34 6LW. Tel: 0044 (0)1926 437700

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
It's not all bad news: Ebco are the main Corratec people in the UK, and are themselves based in your own home county:
EBCO Ltd: 5,Pegasus House, Olympus Avenue, Warwick CV34 6LW. Tel: 0044 (0)1926 437700
Thanks - I know that. Last time I've tried to talk to them some years back they were not very helpful. Perhaps I should try again :)