Correct spoke tension

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
Hi All,
I bought a Q100C pre-built wheel - after first test ride of a few hundred yards I noticed a sound that made me think a cable-tie end was tinkling the spokes. Couldn't see anything but at least had the presence of mind to pluck the spokes (better late than never) - two were less than finger tight.

I've tightened it all up, and then re-trued it (I haven't checked dishing, but I'm happy with the way it sits in the frame). So relative spoke tension is good (for now) but...

I'd really like to know if the 'absolute' spoke tension is healthy. I knew nothing before starting to read up on the matter - from what I can tell the correct spoke tension is nowadays set by the rim as modern spokes can take more than the rim can.

Has anyone got any advice ?- I'm reluctant to go and blow another £60 on a tension meter if I don't have to (just had to pay the import duty bill today), but I'm happy to pay a few quid for a microphone based wheel builder app to give me peace of mind. Has anyone else used such ?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/spoke-pitch.html and a tone generator is free, but no idea if this would be valid for a thick spoked ebike wheel ?

bonus question - if a '13' spoke wrench fits the nipple - can I assume its a 13 gaugue spoke ? i.e 2.3mm (don't have a micrometer to my shame)

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
You may already know this - you can definitely "feel" tension by squeezing spoke pairs together, that's similar to how a tension meter works anyhow - if you aren't used to what good feels like try feeling the tension in a few front wheels - maybe in a bike shop?

Decent hand built wheels can often run higher tension and feel firmer - I built a tandem rear wheel this year, with a deep V rim and proper spoke tension meter, and was amazed how tight you can get the spokes before the tension is too much

My suggestion is to get a feel for front wheels as the tension is usually more even side to side (V brake front wheels will be undished, not sure about disc brake hubs I never looked). When you then evaluate your rear wheel the drive side spokes will feel softer and have lower tension - that's fine - so long as non drive side is firm and dishing correct

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
ALL rim manufacturers specify the max spoke tension for their rims.
I was silly enough to buy a Park tensionmeter for my own use and its an expensive "nice-to-have". However, it is an eye-opener too. LOL.
I laced 2 new wheels for the e-trike I am making and I was pleased to find that I not only was able to true them within 0.1mm but also that the tensions were bang on the money by default. I use Roger Musson's wheel-building guide (well worth the money he charges for it IMHO).

Last edited: