Correct use of Nuvinci Nfinity 330

airbox

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a question about shifting with a Nuvinci n330. While I was choosing and test riding ebikes I got a mixed message about shifting in some shops they will tell me that there is no need to lift off the pressure on the pedals while in other they will stress on how important it is to do so.

What would be the correct way and does it matter?

I discovered that on relatively flat terrain it's easy to shift but on a steep hill there is some resistance unless I stop pedaling to adjust - which results in massively slowing down.

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The manual shifting ones were designed for normal bikes, where they don't get so much pressure on the chain. The mechanism allows for shifting at any time and it doesn't do any harm to it even under full pressure from a crank motor.

Now we come to the BUT.
The higher the tension on the chain, the more effort it takes on the shift mechanism to shift it. When you're going uphill with high power, you most likely won't be able to twist hard enough to shift. If you twist too hard, you snap the rather thin shift cables.

I don't know how it is with the automatic shifting, but I can imagine that there's no way it can cope with shifting under some conditions.

Reactions: airbox

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
If you lift off it will last longer, unless the bike is designed round the use of a Nuvinci and paired to the motor torque its not a great choice hub gears and high torque are not a good fit

s60sc

Apr 29, 2015
If you lift off it will last longer, unless the bike is designed round the use of a Nuvinci and paired to the motor torque its not a great choice hub gears and high torque are not a good fit
Hi everyone,

I have a question about shifting with a Nuvinci n330. While I was choosing and test riding ebikes I got a mixed message about shifting in some shops they will tell me that there is no need to lift off the pressure on the pedals while in other they will stress on how important it is to do so.

What would be the correct way and does it matter?

I discovered that on relatively flat terrain it's easy to shift but on a steep hill there is some resistance unless I stop pedaling to adjust - which results in massively slowing down.

Thanks

s60sc

Apr 29, 2015
I've ridden with a nuvinci 360 harmony for 6 years now. The hub is continually engaged so doesn't 'care' about shifting, the chain etc would prefer you maintain pressure and not lift off, the shift cable will have extra stress but it is your wrist that will be the limiting factor.

airbox

Jun 4, 2020
The bike is equipped with the ALP motor if that helps. I use Turbo for the hills.

I've ridden with a nuvinci 360 harmony for 6 years now. The hub is continually engaged so doesn't 'care' about shifting, the chain etc would prefer you maintain pressure and not lift off, the shift cable will have extra stress but it is your wrist that will be the limiting factor.
Would that apply to n330 too?