Countryside riders targeted by bike thieves amid record lows in police detection rates

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Pressurised lighter refill containers work well. Just fit a generic spray can head (WD40 etc) to it. A bit like having your own Napalm dispenser. :)

TTFN
John.
20230310_235120[1].jpg

:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A small aerosol of WD 40 and a lighter would be a useful defence . Not as big as a Military Flame thrower , just a junior version .
If their balaclavas are made of flammable material, they'd ignite and stick to their faces while burning, similar to how flaming tent material would stick to skin and continue burning (body fat can be a good fuel), before they were made flame-retardant.

It really is getting dangerous to ride an e-bike in the metropolis of art and culture that is Swindon.
Balaclavas seem all the rage in Swindon - he could switch to using covid masks.

This balaclaved thief in Swindon, appears to instantly defeat the bike lock:

Before The Swindon Balaclava Shop opened:

Last edited:

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
And yet another stabbing and e-bike robbery in Swindon.

This was early evening (i.e. it was dark) in one of the less salubrious areas of town. Luckily the victim was discharged from hospital fairly quickly.

God knows what these ratboys do with these e-bikes with no chargers.

I like to think that none of this really effects me, I am a recreational cyclist who only goes out to nice places on nice days, although I now leave my wallet at home and just carry a little cash in case I want to stop for a pint/coffee/ice cream.

Link:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23946514.swindon-stabbing-neighbours-react-man-stabbed-arm-back/

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Just hand over the bike and say have fun finding the 10 trackers, otherwise i will see you in an few hours with plod en-tow.

No Really just hand over the bike, its a bike your a person and your well being and life are worth a lot more than a bike.. Anyone daft enough to mug you for a bike may well be stoopid enough to stab you too.. DONT RISK IT..

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
A small squishy bottle containing chilli sauce.

You'll get into a lot of bother if you had or bought a pepper spray, but you can buy small squeezy bottles of chilli sauce from the supermarket, and the effect will be exactly the same

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I wouldn't tell them if I had a tacker(s) installed as bike is then likely to end up in the canal out of spite. Let them take the bike then track the down with a cpl of the boys in tow.

Lifted from another forum:

It’s illegal to carry anything for the purpose of self defense. However, it’s not illegal to carry a home made mixture of peppers/chili that would hurt an attacker providing it isn’t for this purpose.

Perhaps you want to carry a very spicy dressing because the sauces at Subway/the chippy just don’t do it for you. You carry it in a spray bottle so that you can evenly apply it to your sandwich or burger. A court would have a hard time convicting you because the standard of proof is innocent until proven guilty. Where is the proof here?

I like carrying my own homemade sauces. I don’t carry them for self defense, I carry them to use as sauce. The last time I checked it isn’t a crime to carry sauce in the UK.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Wow, nearly 3million on the Scoville...

Have watched a few of the Hot Ones YT vids pasyt cpl yrs, entertaining if you like the celeb, that guys a millionaire from his YT channel..probably he'll need it in a few years for a new stomach...

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper

:p

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I am always amazed by the stupidity of people, really.

Years ago there were public information films, 1960/70s, remember to cancel your milk when going
on holiday, remember to cancel the newspapers, BE SEEN BE SAFE WEAR LIGHT COLOURS AT NIGHT

These days idiots post on facebook when and where they are going on holiday, Strava, "please feel free to rob me I'll be here at this time !, and so on.

NO at 65 I have never, ever fallen for a con, I was brought up with common sense.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
If their balaclavas are made of flammable material, they'd ignite and stick to their faces while burning, similar to how flaming tent material would stick to skin and continue burning (body fat can be a good fuel), before they were made flame-retardant.

Balaclavas seem all the rage in Swindon - he could switch to using covid masks.

This balaclaved thief in Swindon, appears to instantly defeat the bike lock:

Before The Swindon Balaclava Shop opened:

CRAP lock, serves them right

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
What about when you were conned into having a crank-drive drive motor instead of a hub-motor? That con worked so well that you haven't even figured it out yet.

Stupid comment