Countryside riders targeted by bike thieves amid record lows in police detection rates

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I saw this in today's Torygraph online.

Countryside riders targeted by bike thieves amid record lows in police detection rates
Cycling UK said increasing evidence of criminals targeting cyclists travelling out of London to Kent and the Surrey Hills.

Cyclists taking rides into the countryside are being mugged for their high-end bikes by crime gangs exploiting historic lows in police detection rates, cycling chiefs have warned.

Cycling UK, one of the biggest charities, said there was increasing evidence of criminals targeting cyclists travelling out of London to Kent and the Surrey Hills and who may have unwittingly given away their plans on Strava, the app used by riders to map routes and times.

Duncan Dollimore, head of campaigns at Cycling UK, said the phenomenon was “on the radar” of the three police forces - the Met, Kent and Surrey - after a series of incidents where cyclists have been attacked for their bikes.

Alex Richardson, a 32 year old professional cyclist, was robbed of his bike at knifepoint by four masked attackers in London’s Richmond Park. He called it a “shocking experience” and urged other cyclists to be careful.

In June, Jennifer George, a two-time Scottish road race champion, revealed how she had been attacked twice by men on motorbikes while riding alone near Oxted in Surrey.

It followed multiple reports of a moped gang seemingly targeting lone female cyclists after a rider was held down and had their bike stolen during an attack near Warlingham in Surrey in April.

“It is possibly perceived as a low risk crime if the numbers of people being caught are so low. It may be seen as a high reward, low risk crime,” said Mr Dollimore.

Home Office figures show the proportion of bike thefts being solved by police has fallen to a historic low of 1.4 per cent in the year to June, down from 3.3 per cent in 2016. Nine in 10 offences were closed with no suspect identified.

The data, analysed by the Telegraph, shows that cyclists face a lottery with the chances of a theft being solved ranging from just 0.3 per cent in Lancashire - a one in 300 chance - to 5.4 per cent - more than one in 20 - in Gwent.

Cycling UK believes many of the bikes stolen have been targeted by gangs because of the profits to be made by selling them on second-hand sites such as Gumtree and eBay. It is alarmed, however, by the latest trend to mount bike muggings on cyclists.

Mr Dollimore said: “There have been increasing concerns about people cycling out of London to the Kent and Surrey hills who have been victims of muggings or robbery. There are a limited number of routes where people would cycle out of London.

“Somebody has posted on Strava what they are doing on their ride. The criminals will know it is someone on a £3,000 to £4,000 carbon fibre bike who has unwittingly signposted the fact that they are likely to be heading out to Kent or the Surrey Hills. It is on the police’s radar.”

Mr Dollimore said the charity recognised that bike theft would be a lower priority for police given competing demands on limited resources but he warned that much of it was organised crime where gangs targeted locations like train stations where they could steal as many as 30 bikes in 30 minutes.

“They end up mostly on second-hand sites within 24 hours. It’s a public misconception that it’s some lad looking for a bike to steal.”

Cycling UK believes police should target their resources at the point of sale with officers focused on suspicious bulk reduced-price sales on second-hand online auction sites. “Targeted action at the point of sale would be a more efficient use of resources,” said Mr Dollimore.

I also noticed this sign cable tied to a lamp post in the Town Centre which brings the issue quite literally close to home, though they might not be as interested in my 11 year old Oxygen Emate in the background.

. Sub Zero Ride 15 12 22 001.JPG

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My plan if ever accosted, is to use my long quick release seat tube with heavy saddle to...:mad:

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I wouldn't think that type of person would read the "Torygraph" but as usual all the relevant information is given on how to take up the enterprise. Plus it also tells you the likelihood of success! Sad to say when it comes to bicycles "when its gone its gone" police not interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: georgehenry

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
Given it’s the Kent area , would be British subjects escaping border patrols - a bike is a quick getaway … now don’t say they all are honest

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I wouldn't think that type of person would read the "Torygraph" but as usual all the relevant information is given on how to take up the enterprise. Plus it also tells you the likelihood of success! Sad to say when it comes to bicycles "when its gone its gone" police not interested.
It sounds a targeted theft to me. Someone has noticed the bikes and their location.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I had a look at my local ebikes on facebook marketplace. Most are hub motor based and many are new from shops etc. There were 2 entry level Trek mid-drive ebikes and one Lapierre model. One had no selling text. This is the other two adverts (personal details removed). What is most curious is the very low mileage claimed for what are serious investments when new plus the Trek model states its the wrong size but these are normally sold by dealers where a basic bike fit would be performed. I don't like proprietary ebikes or mid-drive that much so there is little chance I would ever buy such a ebike but certainly the chance of some life threatening crime taking place to get my ebike off me is another reason not to purchase such a ebike.

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cycling will increase as petrol/diesel etc. engines are outlawed, and electric cars remain too expensive for most?

Is Britain's appetite for electric cars waning? After Tesla owners' Christmas charging woes and cost-of-living squeeze, EV order waiting times are shrinking fast

Not what you call affordable motoring! There are just THREE new electric cars on sale today for less than £30,000 as Britons are priced out of EV ownership

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is Britain's appetite for electric cars waning? After Tesla owners' Christmas charging woes and cost-of-living squeeze, EV order waiting times are shrinking fast
Quite the opposite. The waiting times are shrinking as the makers up production to match the greatly increased sales. This will continue to happen as the deadline for ic sales gets closer, until the supply of those with enough money runs out. That won't be for at least ten years yet though.

Not what you call affordable motoring! There are just THREE new electric cars on sale today for less than £30,000 as Britons are priced out of EV ownership
As I've posted and explained previously, this is deliberate policy by both governments and the industry.

Governments regret universal car ownership which has been a source of never ending problems for them, so they are aiming for a great reduction in numbers.

The industry has long been fed up with making huge numbers of small cheaper cars, often at a loss and relying on their upmmarket models for profits. So both see eye to eye and the makers are only making the less affordable high end for unchanged shareholder dividends.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Broad daylight in residential areas. Same lot by the sound of it. Sensible?? enough not to to use a weapon second time, police will lose interest.

BikeMike

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2023
I saw this in today's Torygraph online.

Cycling UK said increasing evidence of criminals targeting cyclists travelling out of London to Kent and the Surrey Hills.

Cyclists taking rides into the countryside are being mugged for their high-end bikes by crime gangs exploiting historic lows in police detection rates, cycling chiefs have warned.

Cycling UK, one of the biggest charities, said there was increasing evidence of criminals targeting cyclists travelling out of London to Kent and the Surrey Hills and who may have unwittingly given away their plans on Strava, the app used by riders to map routes and times.

Duncan Dollimore, head of campaigns at Cycling UK, said the phenomenon was “on the radar” of the three police forces - the Met, Kent and Surrey - after a series of incidents where cyclists have been attacked for their bikes.

Alex Richardson, a 32 year old professional cyclist, was robbed of his bike at knifepoint by four masked attackers in London’s Richmond Park. He called it a “shocking experience” and urged other cyclists to be careful.

In June, Jennifer George, a two-time Scottish road race champion, revealed how she had been attacked twice by men on motorbikes while riding alone near Oxted in Surrey.

It followed multiple reports of a moped gang seemingly targeting lone female cyclists after a rider was held down and had their bike stolen during an attack near Warlingham in Surrey in April.

“It is possibly perceived as a low risk crime if the numbers of people being caught are so low. It may be seen as a high reward, low risk crime,” said Mr Dollimore.

Home Office figures show the proportion of bike thefts being solved by police has fallen to a historic low of 1.4 per cent in the year to June, down from 3.3 per cent in 2016. Nine in 10 offences were closed with no suspect identified.

The data, analysed by the Telegraph, shows that cyclists face a lottery with the chances of a theft being solved ranging from just 0.3 per cent in Lancashire - a one in 300 chance - to 5.4 per cent - more than one in 20 - in Gwent.

Cycling UK believes many of the bikes stolen have been targeted by gangs because of the profits to be made by selling them on second-hand sites such as Gumtree and eBay. It is alarmed, however, by the latest trend to mount bike muggings on cyclists.

Mr Dollimore said: “There have been increasing concerns about people cycling out of London to the Kent and Surrey hills who have been victims of muggings or robbery. There are a limited number of routes where people would cycle out of London.

“Somebody has posted on Strava what they are doing on their ride. The criminals will know it is someone on a £3,000 to £4,000 carbon fibre bike who has unwittingly signposted the fact that they are likely to be heading out to Kent or the Surrey Hills. It is on the police’s radar.”

Mr Dollimore said the charity recognised that bike theft would be a lower priority for police given competing demands on limited resources but he warned that much of it was organised crime where gangs targeted locations like train stations where they could steal as many as 30 bikes in 30 minutes.

“They end up mostly on second-hand sites within 24 hours. It’s a public misconception that it’s some lad looking for a bike to steal.”

Cycling UK believes police should target their resources at the point of sale with officers focused on suspicious bulk reduced-price sales on second-hand online auction sites. At the same time, I hope that the police will be as correct as possible in their actions. For my college project, I researched the topic of aggression, and while exploring the big database of college police brutality essays, I came across dozens of avoidable offenses. This vast problem tarnishes respectable police officers forced to get a bad reputation because of aggressive colleagues. I hope the police will work better in this direction..

I also noticed this sign cable tied to a lamp post in the Town Centre which brings the issue quite literally close to home, though they might not be as interested in my 11 year old Oxygen Emate in the background.

. View attachment 49906
The logic of the police is as usual. Instead of identifying the source of the problem and working to stop such crimes, they will look for already stolen bikes at auctions. However, nothing new.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A friend was pushed off his (non-e) bike into a London canal some time ago. The bike was stolen; and the canal didn't help the laptop in his backpack. Partly his own fault, he was on the phone to our son at the time so maybe not concentrating and as in control as he should have been. Our son got a very curious impression of the incident.

I suspect most muggers don't know that much about the target bikes.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021