Covert carrera subway 1

B75

Just Joined
Apr 1, 2019
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to covert my carrera subway 1 to an e bike. Has anyone on here ever converted this bike before? I'm not sure what covertion kits would be suitable for this bike. I have been looking for sometime but i have no idea what I am looking for. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You might want to move this to the Conversion Kits thread: https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/conversion-kits-general-discussion.42/

With (relatively) cheap bikes it can be more effective to buy a complete new electric bike. Either way I'd definitely look at the Woosh site (http://wooshbikes.co.uk/) and ebikes direct (https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/ ), read what they say about the different kits and see the closest alternative full bikes.

I can personally recommend Woosh for service as can many others on this site. ebikes direct has a wide range of bikes of different prices, and some kits; I don't know at all how good a shop they are.

Also, post a little more about how you want to use it, distances, how fit you are and how hilly it is near you. Our first conversion was a tandem with a Woosh XF07 front kit; partly chosen because it was easy to fit. I'd certainly recommend that kit, but it is not designed for superpower if that is what you want.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Subway is a very easy bike to convert. Many have been done before along with other Carrera bikes that share the same frame. Just about all options are open. If I were doing it, I'd be looking at the Yosepower rear cassette motor kit, but there are many similar kits that you could choose.

For a bike like that, avoid the big direct drive motors (500W - 1500W) and avoid a mid motor unless you can't find a hub-motor with the right speed.

In case you don't know, hub-motors have a max speed independent of power, so it's important that you choose one with the right speed for your requirements.

Normg002

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
Subway is a very easy bike to convert. Many have been done before along with other Carrera bikes that share the same frame. Just about all options are open. If I were doing it, I'd be looking at the Yosepower rear cassette motor kit, but there are many similar kits that you could choose.

For a bike like that, avoid the big direct drive motors (500W - 1500W) and avoid a mid motor unless you can't find a hub-motor with the right speed.

In case you don't know, hub-motors have a max speed independent of power, so it's important that you choose one with the right speed for your requirements.
Hi mate,

Currently planning to convert the wife's Carrerra Subway 1, and have pretty much settled on the YosePower 350w rear hub kit. Can I just confirm that I'd need the cassette kit? I've had a good search on the forum and Google, but havent been able to confirm whether the bike is cassette or free wheel.

I can't go and check the bike, as currently recovering from a broken back, using the conversion as a way to keep my mind active, and as a thank you for how she's cared for me since my injury.

Many thanks,

Geoff

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
10 speed 11 - 36 freewheel from C&D on Aliexpress.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Any advance on 10 speed, going once.....twice....
Easiest solution is to fit your existing (presumably) cassette onto the new hub, that way your existing chain / shifter / derailleur are 100% compatible