Coyote connect

Damianfitch

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Hi ,
Could anyone help , i have a coyote connect with power issues.
Batter y seems to have power and is charging but i cannot get the power / mode to switch on or show anything , it also seems to be a sealed unit so cant check wiring. Can you get replacements ? not sure where to start Does anyone know where i can download a user manual ? 3181531814

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
First thing, you need a digital multi meter, if you do not already have one.
Measure the voltage of the battery and note the nominal voltage of the battery.
Mention both vales here.
Then measure the voltage coming out of the charger, note that also here.
This could be a good start.
Regards
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Cheers Andy.
Battery is showing about 26v , then similar voltage coming out of the controller.
That sounds all good provided you have a battery nominal 24 volts. (which I am pretty certain you have!)
I don't know the bike electrics you have myself, but with the information you just supplied, someone should be able to help you further.
Many batteries have a big fuse somewhere, not always in the charging circuit, maybe that has blown, but how you test for that without opening the battery, I haven't a clue...
Do not yourself open the battery unless you have the training as they can be dangerous to life, limb and house.
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the LED control panel is lifeless, it means that it's not connected to the battery. Even when completely faulty, it would normally flash when you press the power button.

If you look at its connector/s, there are 4 wires, normally red blue, black and green. Sometimes the blue is orange or pink. The red and black wires are connected directly to the battery through the motor controller. You should measure the voltage between them, which should be the same as the battery, but most likely is zero because the connection to the battery is broken somewhere.

Assuming zero volts between those wires, you need to check the voltage on the thick red and black wires that connect the controller to the battery. They have bullet connectors on them, which is where you should check the voltage. If zero there, you need to work your way back to the battery to find out where the voltage is interrupted.

Did you check the main fuse in the battery?

Under pressure

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2019
I have a similar problem with the same bike and the same question with regard to a replacement controller, or a repair. The LEDs light up fine on the controller but annoyingly often just switch off for no apparent reason. I've found that 'tapping' the side of the controller and switching back on will quite often rectify this and they all stay on.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the display goes off, the battery connection has been interrupted. Follow the wires from the battery to the controller to find where the faulty connection is. It's normally the bullet connectors, thou can be a bad solder joint on the back of the receiver or anywhere else.

Under pressure

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2019
If the display goes off, the battery connection has been interrupted. Follow the wires from the battery to the controller to find where the faulty connection is. It's normally the bullet connectors, thou can be a bad solder joint on the back of the receiver or anywhere else.
Thanks, I figured as much but as the original post says it seems to be a sealed unit and I can't for the life of me find out where to get a replacement or repair.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What are you saying is sealed? I'm talking about the motor controller, not the control panel. Look in the compartment on the front of the battery - the bit that stays behind when you remove the battery.

Under pressure

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2019
The control
What are you saying is sealed? I'm talking about the motor controller, not the control panel. Look in the compartment on the front of the battery - the bit that stays behind when you remove the battery.
The control panel (on the handlebar) is what I mean, it appears to be a sealed unit. This is what I 'tap' on the side (edge) before pressing the on/off button to get it going again. Quite possibly a dodgy bit of soldering inside.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before buying a new one, you need o determine where the fault is because these devices often indicate a fault elsewhere.

Their main function is as a switch to power the motor controller. The bike will work without the control panel if you make the connecion yourself. To do this, you follow the wire to the motor controller that's normally next to the battery, disconnect it and make a bridge between the red and blue wires with a loop of wire or even a paper clip. That will work your bike on level one pedal assist and throttle if you have one.

While you're there, count the wires on the connector because there are two types of these control panels and lots of variants within the same type that are interchangeable. Please also provide a photo of the panel.

Generally, if the panel switches off by itself or doesn’t switch on, the cause of the problem lies in the battery or its connections.